Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Substitute for Irish Moss??  (Read 3039 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Substitute for Irish Moss??
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 09:47:44 am »
I'm still pretty confident that neither IM or gelatin are not reinheitsgebot compliant. I could be wrong! But I'm not wrong about not needing IM. While it it only subjective evidence I feel like my beers taste better without it. Plus I always forget anyway! ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 09:54:40 am »
I'm still pretty confident that neither IM or gelatin are not reinheitsgebot compliant. I could be wrong! But I'm not wrong about not needing IM. While it it only subjective evidence I feel like my beers taste better without it. Plus I always forget anyway! ;)

I would love to see a blind triangle on flavor from I'M.  I have never heard anyone else claim that and I certainly don't notice it.  Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 10:29:23 am »

I would love to see a blind triangle on flavor from I'M.  I have never heard anyone else claim that and I certainly don't notice it.  Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I'm sure you have to over use it to really taste it, which I have heard reports of. I'm not trying to cause anyone to stop using it  -- IM is used in all kinds of things. I stopped using it because I ran out and never noticed a difference in the finished beer as far as clarity goes.

As long as we are down this road of unsubstantiated claims though, I have heard some professional brewers say they get heart burn with beers that use silicic acid. 'Course I still use Biofine Clear. ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 10:46:00 am »

I'm sure you have to over use it to really taste it, which I have heard reports of. I'm not trying to cause anyone to stop using it  -- IM is used in all kinds of things. I stopped using it because I ran out and never noticed a difference in the finished beer as far as clarity goes.

As long as we are down this road of unsubstantiated claims though, I have heard some professional brewers say they get heart burn with beers that use silicic acid. 'Course I still use Biofine Clear. ;)

I think I can tell a difference when I forget it, but that's also untested.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 11:52:55 am »

Meaning ... it tastes better when you forget? j/k

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 11:57:10 am »
Once years ago I did a side by side batch that I posted (on this forum or it may have been over on NB) of one hydrometer flask from a batch boiled with IM and one not boiled with IM from the exact same mash. The one with IM was clearer in the flask for sure. But still, I haven't noticed a difference in beers I want to get clear and fine in the fermenter or keg cold side. That said, it may help beers clear that are not fined cold side.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 12:04:53 pm »

Meaning ... it tastes better when you forget? j/k

Who knows?  But I was referring to clarity.  But I've never split a batch so maybe those would have been cloudy anyway.

www.dennybrew.com