Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extended Conditioning at Warm Temperature  (Read 1203 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Extended Conditioning at Warm Temperature
« on: April 25, 2021, 07:18:17 am »
Does conditioning kegged beer at basement temps, about 60* for an extended time give any added benefits? Normally I gas manifold my FV at about 10 gravity points from completion, cold crash for a week or more, collect yeasties, keg and into the keezer at 35* for another couple weeks before tapping.

I don't remember where I read about conditioning at room temps for 30 days. Will the beer spoil at those higher temps? Is that process only for when adding sugar to carbonate? I don't add sugar, I either cap while still actively fermenting or force carbonate.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Extended Conditioning at Warm Temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 10:44:26 am »
I can't imagine any benefits unless you are naturally carbonating. Doesn't mean it will hurt it either though. Some beers may have peaked by the time the 30 days are up. especially hoppy beers. High gravity beers that are malt forward may benefit.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 01:05:04 pm »
Room temperature is important for natural carbonation but beer doesn't spoil at those temperatures unless you have unwelcome occupants in the beer who are thermophilic and able to ferment whatever is unfermented in your beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 01:07:23 pm »
Room temperature is important for natural carbonation but beer doesn't spoil at those temperatures unless you have unwelcome occupants in the beer who are thermophilic and able to ferment whatever is unfermented in your beer.

It may not spoil, but warmer temps accelerate staling.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 02:54:27 pm »
Thank you for the feed back! I don't think I'll change what I've been doing all along.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 04:36:34 pm »

Is there a certain threshold to keep beer temps under once finished carbonating in the bottle? Say like under 40 degrees? I was curious as I don't know the answer.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 01:08:02 pm »

Is there a certain threshold to keep beer temps under once finished carbonating in the bottle? Say like under 40 degrees? I was curious as I don't know the answer.
"Proper" cellar temps are 55 and lower for long term storage. But I have stored plenty of bottled home brew warmer than that for considerable amounts of time just based on what I had on hand at any given time
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 01:50:23 pm »
I keep bottled beer in a plastic bucket in the brewery (aka laundry room) storage closet. It’s dark there, warm, and the bucket will contain the blast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk