Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ingredients not normally found in beer  (Read 2879 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Ingredients not normally found in beer
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 07:47:21 pm »
just my opinion, but ingredients that arent commonly found in beer, usually arent common because they dont taste very good in beer.

I SO agree with you

Like mushrooms ... for instance. ;)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 06:56:54 am »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 07:25:44 am »
just my opinion, but ingredients that arent commonly found in beer, usually arent common because they dont taste very good in beer.

I SO agree with you

But seriously, I don't think that there's no place at all for less traditional additives or flavors in beer, but the common ones are common for a reason - they typically work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:27:30 am by erockrph »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 08:26:09 am »

I SO agree with you

I guess you'd have to taste it to know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 02:34:52 pm »
I for one, have just had it with all these brews that have to have something weird in them... its gotten out of control. can't we just go back to basic beers?!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 02:50:35 pm »
I for one, have just had it with all these brews that have to have something weird in them... its gotten out of control. can't we just go back to basic beers?!

Judging by what happened with ice cream flavors, the answer is no.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2021, 08:51:29 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2021, 12:24:29 pm »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2021, 03:27:43 pm »
When I read in fredthecat's post about unusual British ales that the recipe for Devon White Ale included eggs, it got me curious about other  common food ingredients I've never heard about in beer. 

What about milk, cheese, fermented foods like pickles or sauerkraut, mustard, and catsup?  Also, others you might think of.

thanks. while we might imagine that we modern homebrewers are more open and experimental to every taste possibility in alcohol, when you step back and look at what creating alcohol for consumption is at the most base levels we can see that there are still many things we are missing without even realizing.

some examples might be alcohol in more food-like forms, ie. lightly fermented rice porridges a la china/vietnam/japan/southern africa and more. i miss amazake a lot.

considering savory taste as a positive aspect in distilled alcohol, and perhaps fermented alcohol as well. the west generally thinks of alcohol on a baseline level as being "dry or sweet" with variations in between, but you could have alcohol theorized as a form of savory soup, like an item of a meal, fermentables prepared first and fermented, maybe with pieces of potatoes, sweet potatoes, greens in it. served in a wide bowl.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baijiu#Categorisation_by_aroma_profile
the entire world of asian alcohol is hard to truly get into. it is much more than just having a few tastings at some event and thinking one gets it.

the act of drinking it, re: mustard or even spicy peppers and chinese baiju. i feel like a poor harsh distillation is almost the desired outcome with most cheap but standardly drunk and popular er guo tuo and baijiu to add to the "manliness" aspect of drinking it. its unbelievably harsh even considering its ~55% ABV. im not personally familiar with the drinking rituals in russia and ukraine, but i know in ukraine at least it is popular to add spicy peppers to vodka.

thanks to ron pattinson, we have seen that the beer in most of europe pre 1900 had astoundingly high FGs (hitting just 40 or 50% attenuation sometimes), stuff that would likely not be considered drinkable by most people here.

i think there is still a lot of room for experimentation with some "extreme" mineral additions in beer.

you mention sauerkraut, (presumably lactic) pickles. well, it depends on the process - would you have finished pickles with lactic acid producing bacteria active, then add it to beer?? i mean sure you could, but it wouldnt be my pint of bitter by any stretch. if youre considering fermenting cucumbers in beer, im sure that could be possible, alcohol soaked cucumbers, could be a neat trick and im sure it would be a tasty enough flavour component.

hops apparently have a sedative effect, i enjoy the calming, but not sedating effect of lots of chamomile, though the taste isnt my favourite, and ive wanted to add that to some alcohol at some point. but are the chemicals that perform this soluble in alcohol?

as denny said, cheese and dairy likely not for safety reasons. blood apparently also is not a good fermentation medium. though there is milk produced vodka available, fermented through the lactose in the milk. which is also "kumis", fermented milk from the central asian countries.

i mean i guess the sky is the limit, frankly i HATE milkshake IPAs but that was a really innovative style and im sure there are some good examples out there.

at some point in the future we literally might have lab designed yeast/bacteria or extraterrestrially sourced ones.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2021, 05:36:18 pm »
at some point in the future we literally might have lab designed yeast/bacteria or extraterrestrially sourced ones.

Wait no more. PreEngineered Fluorescent Brewing and Baking Yeast:
https://www.the-odin.com/preengineered-fluorescent-brewing-and-baking-yeast/
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2021, 04:23:32 am »

I SO agree with you

I guess you'd have to taste it to know.

The only chanterelles I get are seasonal bulk at costco ... they are actually pretty good. One year I added them to my Belgian Tripel. I really liked the results a lot!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2021, 11:05:19 am »

Wait no more. PreEngineered Fluorescent Brewing and Baking Yeast:
https://www.the-odin.com/preengineered-fluorescent-brewing-and-baking-yeast/
Interesting! It would be a cool experiment to compare a filtered vs non-filtered version of the same beer under blacklight to visualize how much yeast is actually still in suspension after cold crashing or lagering.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 08:05:49 am »
What about milk, cheese, fermented foods like pickles or sauerkraut, mustard, and catsup?  Also, others you might think of.

I would think vinegar would have a negative effect on yeast as it is used as a preservative. I have however wondered about tomatoes???

The gentleman (now deceased) who taught me how to brew would drink almost anything.  One day he mixed half a bottle of mass-market lager with tomato juice and offered it to me.  I thought it was a waste of both ingredients.
 I also had the "joy" of consuming a 10-year-old bottle of 4% abv ale that seemed like it had been oxidized for at least nine years.

But, I give thanks to him for introducing me to home brewing every time I open a bottle that I've brewed.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 09:01:05 am »

I would think vinegar would have a negative effect on yeast as it is used as a preservative. I have however wondered about tomatoes???

The gentleman (now deceased) who taught me how to brew would drink almost anything.  One day he mixed half a bottle of mass-market lager with tomato juice and offered it to me.  I thought it was a waste of both ingredients.

I think that's just a Clamato. Very popular with the hispanics around here. Can be purchased premixed at just about any grocery store.