Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Cask conditioning in the keg - by spunding  (Read 1036 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cask conditioning in the keg - by spunding
« on: April 25, 2021, 01:16:36 pm »
Not sure whether this makes sense, but I brewed a TTL clone yesterday and I am considering a spund into a keg and serving it with a floating dip tube cask style for an upcoming gathering of vaccinated friends. 

Just wondering what are the thoughts on this process (not the gathering itself) and when to transfer to kegcask.  OG was 1.038 and guessing an FG at 1.008 or so.  Guessing that I would transfer around 1.013 or so.  If it doesn’t adequately carb up naturally, I can force carb, of course. 

Hey, it’s a hobby, that’s why.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:46:02 am by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Cask conditioning in the keg - by spunding
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:47:58 pm »
I think your transfer plan is good.

I just brewed a small batch of TTL myself. I am planning to bottle (small batch) because I don’t have a cask setup.

I understand Kegland is developing some liners for corny kegs that will allow CO2, air, water pressure, etc squeeze the bag to push the beer out without introducing oxidation of a cask/hand pump or extraneous CO2 to the beer.

There are bag-in-box setups that will pull the beer without oxidizing the beer for use with a beer engine but I am holding out for the corny keg liners.

Hopefully soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:25:56 pm by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

Re: Cask conditioning in the keg - by spunding
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 11:51:11 am »
Thanks - I hope they come out with the bladder system soon.  That will be very cool.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:42:52 pm »
Thanks - I hope they come out with the bladder system soon.  That will be very cool.
I still have an old Party Pig https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064ODAGM/?tag=viglink127366-20 , which uses a bladder and a two part chemical stick that keeps the empty space full while the beer level decreases.  It's been years, maybe decades since I've used it, but it sounds exactly like what you're thinking of.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:26:25 pm »
I still have an old Party Pig https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064ODAGM/?tag=viglink127366-20 , which uses a bladder and a two part chemical stick that keeps the empty space full while the beer level decreases.  It's been years, maybe decades since I've used it, but it sounds exactly like what you're thinking of.

I used to have one of those, too.  IIRC, the bladder was a PITA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 01:50:29 pm »
Sounds like you have everything covered. My one suggestion is to set aside some wort and do a forced-fermentation test for beers you know you are going to spund. It's not too late with this batch--draw off a small amount of the fermenting wort and put it in a very warm place to maximize attenuation.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 02:08:40 pm »
Good point - an FFT is a simple thing to do.