Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accidentally use two different yeast in a 2L starter  (Read 944 times)

Offline Sergio Galvez

• 1st Kit
Accidentally use two different yeast in a 2L starter
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:57:47 am »
Hi there,

So I've been trying to get back into home brewing this week and i started my 2L yeast starter with DME. I opened my two (what i thought) were WP001 and started my stir plate. After taking out the trash, i noticed that i used one 001 (California ale yeast from White Labs) and one 042 (pacific ale yeast also from White Labs). There is no way of fixing this now, but do you suggest pitching this yeast? Anyone have experienced this before? Ive heard of people experimenting with pitching different yeast but i haven't found anything on people using two different yeast in the same starter. For the record im brewing a pale ale with the OG @ 1.067.

Thanks in advance! Happy Brewing!

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Accidentally use two different yeast in a 2L starter
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 11:49:39 am »
I assume you mean WLP 041, Pacific Ale yeast. I have never used this one but see the alcohol tolerance for this yeast is about 10% which is lower than WLP 001 which is listed at 15%. Otherwise the specs are similar.

Absolutely you can pitch it as planned. I doubt you will notice much, if any, difference than if you had used 2 sachets of 001 as intended.
Roger

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Accidentally use two different yeast in a 2L starter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 12:13:03 pm »
I say pitch it. The Pacific Ale yeast is more fruity but I don’t think the mix will ruin your beer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:27:58 pm by tommymorris »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 02:03:13 pm »
Yeah, go ahead and pitch this. It's fine. If your yeast tubes are of similar age, the worst that will happen is that the fermentation profile of the beer will be mostly from 001, given that this strain will probably dominate in the starter. Even so, it's not a problem at all to use a blend, even if it's unintentional.

Offline Sergio Galvez

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 11:17:23 am »
thank you all for this! i pitched it and its fermenting away!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 02:32:36 pm »
im using WLP041 right now, the taste is pretty good, different from 001 and ferments very differently. im guessing WLP001 will dominate the fermentation tbh. i had WLP041 slowly eating away at sugars over weeks.