Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big brew day  (Read 1973 times)

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
Re: Big brew day
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 11:06:56 am »
Today is the day. I am finalizing my black ale recipe. The only think I know from sure is I’ll be using lager yeast. From what I am reading on the packet dry lager yeast is more forgiving with temps and brülosophy gave me hope to play around with this yeast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What yeast?  And more forgiving than what?
Cording to some people  say dry yeast is more forgiving than then yeast smack packs

I don't think that's necessarily the case
I hope what I was reading is correct we’ll see how the flavors from the yeast are. Only one way to be sure is to try worst case the bears have beer to drink once I dump it.

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 02:01:21 pm »
Today is the day. I am finalizing my black ale recipe. The only think I know from sure is I’ll be using lager yeast. From what I am reading on the packet dry lager yeast is more forgiving with temps and brülosophy gave me hope to play around with this yeast

Cording to some people  say dry yeast is more forgiving than then yeast smack packs

I always use dry yeast tho I mostly use us 05 last batch I used us 04. I never had any issues using dry yeast since I get all my ingredients and or kits mailed to me I trust dry yeast more. The trick is always good aeration before you pitch the yeast. That or maybe I have just been lucky

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 08:53:14 am »

I always use dry yeast tho I mostly use us 05 last batch I used us 04. I never had any issues using dry yeast since I get all my ingredients and or kits mailed to me I trust dry yeast more. The trick is always good aeration before you pitch the yeast. That or maybe I have just been lucky

Dry yeast manufacturers say no aeration is needed.  My experience bears that out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 09:03:48 am »

Dry yeast manufacturers say no aeration is needed.  My experience bears that out.
I been doing that since I been brewing with mr.beer I’ll try not to with my next batch next month I am going for a hazelnut stout. Since I think you are the one who said Rogue uses extract I got extract. Say use  10% during bottling I may go for little bit more for flavoring again just paying around to see what works and don’t work

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 09:43:49 am »

I been doing that since I been brewing with mr.beer I’ll try not to with my next batch next month I am going for a hazelnut stout. Since I think you are the one who said Rogue uses extract I got extract. Say use  10% during bottling I may go for little bit more for flavoring again just paying around to see what works and don’t work

IMO, the best way to use extracts is to add them to taste.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 12:16:30 pm »

Mine too. The only thing close to "aeration" that I do is mix the heck out of it to make sure the extract is thoroughly distributed to get an accurate gravity reading.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women