Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: We need your questions!  (Read 5093 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: We need your questions!
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2021, 03:51:18 pm »
Never have got cat pee from simcoe. Never will. Feel bad for those that do. I should know. I have two cats and drink their urine regularly.
Now I have to clean my screen.  :D
I haven’t used Simcoe in years. I just added that one to my list because that was the one being talked about above.

I standby blending hops that are dank.

Do people consider dank and cat pee the same thing? I am thinking cat pee is overwhelming amounts of dank. But, I never know if my vocabulary matches other brewers. I’m color blind so I know my color perception is broken (just ask my wife if she hasn’t told you already) and I always figure my tastes or the words I use to describe it could be off too.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2021, 03:57:35 pm »
Never have got cat pee from simcoe. Never will. Feel bad for those that do. I should know. I have two cats and drink their urine regularly.
Now I have to clean my screen.  :D
I haven’t used Simcoe in years. I just added that one to my list because that was the one being talked about above.

I standby blending hops that are dank.

Do people consider dank and cat pee the same thing? I am thinking cat pee is overwhelming amounts of dank. But, I never know if my vocabulary matches other brewers. I’m color blind so I know my color perception is broken (just ask my wife if she hasn’t told you already) and I always figure my tastes or the words I use to describe it could be off too.
I have said that Simcoe is "dank" and I mean it in a positive way.  The character brought to the beer by Simcoe is a plus to me.  Remember that I am not a hophead so I am NOT adding 14 ounces of Simcoe to the whirlpool or whatever.  Maybe you'd get cat pee if you did that.  I get some "dank" and a bit of "woodiness" from Simcoe.  I think I'll continue on my original path... Citra, Amarillo and Simcoe in the DH for three days.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2021, 04:30:01 pm »
I find that it is best to blend some hops. Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe sometimes throw a lot of dank/cat pee. I can’t handle it when it is in abundance (like single hop APA/IPA levels) but blended the dank/cat pee can move to the back ground and the good parts of those hops come through.

I agree that flavor is not always there.
Interesting.  I made a pale ale with Simcoe & Glacier and it was very nice.  I have a pale ale fermenting now with all Amarillo & Citra (I have made this before) and it calls for an ounce of each as a DH addition as well.  I was going to add one ounce each of Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe.  I *do not* get cat pee from Simcoe (where does this stuff come from!?).  Would I be rolling the dice by adding the Simcoe?  DH is set to kick off next Monday or thereabouts.

Reminds me that Summit hops supposedly wreak like a hippie's armpit.  Hello?!  Where does this stuff come from?  Also, I have had an ounce of Summit in my freezer since 2008 and I refuse to use it now!!  :D

As am ertified hope, I resent that.... ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2021, 04:36:01 pm »
I find that it is best to blend some hops. Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe sometimes throw a lot of dank/cat pee. I can’t handle it when it is in abundance (like single hop APA/IPA levels) but blended the dank/cat pee can move to the back ground and the good parts of those hops come through.

Interesting.  I made a pale ale with Simcoe & Glacier and it was very nice.  I have a pale ale fermenting now with all Amarillo & Citra (I have made this before) and it calls for an ounce of each as a DH addition as well.  I was going to add one ounce each of Citra, Amarillo & Simcoe.  I *do not* get cat pee from Simcoe (where does this stuff come from!?).  Would I be rolling the dice by adding the Simcoe?  DH is set to kick off next Monday or thereabouts.

Reminds me that Summit hops supposedly wreak like a hippie's armpit.  Hello?!  Where does this stuff come from?  Also, I have had an ounce of Summit in my freezer since 2008 and I refuse to use it now!!  :D

Can we get Denny a proofreader. Unless he really is an ertified hope.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2021, 05:37:26 pm »
I think he might be impaired. 😄
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2021, 06:01:05 pm »
Unlike a lot of you, I guess, I brew for the brewing, not the beer.  Having a large, great quality selection available isn't a consideration for me. I just like brewing.
Same here. I probably dump about 50% of the volume of beer I brew just to make room for new batches. I just enjoy seeing my recipes come to life.

Having access to dozens of excellent local beers just tends to push my recipe choices to other styles, it doesn't quash my desire to brew altogether.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2021, 06:06:40 pm »
I guess I'm lucky that I've had all my male cats fixed, and also that I grow black currants. For hops that I hear people get cat pee aroma from, I pick it up as the scent I get on my fingers after picking currants. It's a bit musky, but it's something I enjoy nonetheless.

FWIW, I hate cilantro. Tastes like Ivory soap. I also don't smell anything funny in my pee after I eat asparagus.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2021, 06:09:16 pm »

Pulling this back to the actual topic again   ;)

1. In light of your shift to your best/least/most brewing philosophy, would you update your "Top Five"/"Top Ten" priorities (cf. Palmer's sanitation, temp, yeast mgt, boil, recipe) for making good beer?

2. Just how much does mash temp actually matter? Or put another way, how far off your target temp would you need to be to result in a perceptibly different final product?

3. Is there any movement in the industry to improve hop packaging to list more measurements than just %AA? This seems increasingly woefully inadequate labeling.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:11:44 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2021, 08:28:51 am »

It's a combo of tablet typing and autocorrect

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2021, 01:18:39 pm »

As a certified techie and stealth hippie, may I recommend a bluetooth  keyboard?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2021, 02:35:03 pm »

As a certified techie and stealth hippie, may I recommend a bluetooth  keyboard?

Too unwieldy.  Tried that.

www.dennybrew.com

Online waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2021, 04:36:37 pm »
This whole thread has been inspiring.  Thanks to everyone (and I mean everyone).

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2021, 06:46:10 am »
Alright then I'll try to get this thread back on track. How long IS a piece of string?

What keeps your passion for the hobby going after all these years?

Have you ever hit a lull where things just weren't doing it for you, and if so, what brought you back?

These are really great questions and after 15 years of brewing I go hot and cold during periods.  Some times it's out of my control, but I would love to hear other people's thoughts on principles/ideas of what keeps them going.  Pretty much an open ended question, but it does interest me.

One of the thing that keeps me going is when that beer you brew just hits it's sweet spot in terms of aging.  For some beers it is 1-2 weeks, others it's 5-6 weeks.  All depends on the style.  It's such a cool feelling when you have that beer that you feel like is better than what you are getting commercially.  Notice I said, "feel like" and not 'is."

I keep brewing for two reasons. 

First, my taste in beer is quite restrictive at the 5-gal-batch-level (brown ales, porters, and stouts with lower ester content than is typically available in grocery or package stores) so I have to brew them myself.  I do enjoy sampling other beer styles at brewpubs although I find very few that I would want to drink 5-gallons of.

Second, I'm always finding new ideas for ingredients or flavors to incorporate into my brews still within the dark ale styles I prefer.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!