Author Topic: Diamond Lager Yeast  (Read 259 times)

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewmaster
Diamond Lager Yeast
« on: April 27, 2021, 07:21:48 PM »
A big thanks to Denny, for recommending this yeast. It is the best I have used!

We brewed a Czech style Pils (Premium Pale Czech Lager - 3B) with this yeast. The beer is so close to what I sampled at the brewery in Pilsen, Czech Republic.

Brewed a 2nd batch yesterday, using harvested Diamond. It literally erupted like a volcano, running down the countertop, onto the floor. I cleaned it up before my wife saw the disaster! A starter was not needed, as it could have simply been pitched directly. It was only one week old after the harvest.

This will be our new "house yeast" for lagers. I like it much better than W-34/70.

Thanks again!
Bluebonnet Brewoff 2021 Winner!

Munich Helles - 1st Place
Oktoberfest   - 1st Place
English Porter - 3rd Place

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Diamond Lager Yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 07:28:21 PM »
A big thanks to Denny, for recommending this yeast. It is the best I have used!

We brewed a Czech style Pils (Premium Pale Czech Lager - 3B) with this yeast. The beer is so close to what I sampled at the brewery in Pilsen, Czech Republic.

Brewed a 2nd batch yesterday, using harvested Diamond. It literally erupted like a volcano, running down the countertop, onto the floor. I cleaned it up before my wife saw the disaster! A starter was not needed, as it could have simply been pitched directly. It was only one week old after the harvest.

This will be our new "house yeast" for lagers. I like it much better than W-34/70.

Thanks again!

Glad you liked it!  Like you, I prefer it to 34/70.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 07:44:34 PM »
I am definitely going to have to track some of this down when my last couple sachets of 34/70 are gone. Thanks for the post
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:24:08 PM »
I was happy with the one time I used it and a lot of shops charge less for it than W34/70.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 09:45:29 PM »
When the website was checked, they claim the Diamond yeast is appropriate for many lager styles, including Czech Pilsner.

Being a German yeast, is this a good yeast for a Czech beer? I really like how ours turned out. As good as anything we had in the Czech Republic.

Get this...I got up at 4am yesterday, for a big day of brewing. The harvested Diamond had been sitting on the kitchen countertop since midnight, warming to room temp. A one quart starter was then added to the yeast, and I went to the office to check my email...while drinking a cup of double-shot espresso coffee Americana. Before my coffee was finished, I went back to the kitchen to get some things ready. I noticed a huge puddle of foamy looking liquid, all over the counter, running down the cabinets and going onto the floor. This all happened in less than 10 minutes!!!

That yeast is hyper-potent! I won't make this mistake again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 10:33:46 PM »
When the website was checked, they claim the Diamond yeast is appropriate for many lager styles, including Czech Pilsner.

Being a German yeast, is this a good yeast for a Czech beer? I really like how ours turned out. As good as anything we had in the Czech Republic.

Get this...I got up at 4am yesterday, for a big day of brewing. The harvested Diamond had been sitting on the kitchen countertop since midnight, warming to room temp. A one quart starter was then added to the yeast, and I went to the office to check my email...while drinking a cup of double-shot espresso coffee Americana. Before my coffee was finished, I went back to the kitchen to get some things ready. I noticed a huge puddle of foamy looking liquid, all over the counter, running down the cabinets and going onto the floor. This all happened in less than 10 minutes!!!

That yeast is hyper-potent! I won't make this mistake again.

FWIW, you may get better results pitching it straight from the fridge as opposed to waming it up. I seem to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 10:50:34 PM »
I’m am glad you’re back to making world class beers especially considering how much you loved 34/70
On Tap/Bottled: Imperial Pils, IPA, Red Rye, Yellow Lager

Fermenting: Transcendent Eclipse IPA
Up Next: bangers & mash, Bopils

Offline purduekenn

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 01:16:09 AM »
I like this yeast too got good results with Helles and American Pilsner.

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »
This yeast was within a few months of it's expiration date, so initially there was concern. It did take 5 packages to do the first 10 gallon brew. The ferment started slow initially, with about a 48 hour lag.

On this recent brew (10 gallons), there was no lag at all. The yeast was ready to go, and Denny's advice looks spot on...pitch it straight from the fridge. No need to warm it up, and/or make a starter. Our slurry (1 qt) was hyper-clean. Perhaps the best harvest I have had to date. And it was only one week removed from the previous beer, so it was fresh.

The flavor profile is classic lager, and it is far removed from W-34/70 in taste character.

Good stuff. Highly recommended.