Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diamond Lager Yeast  (Read 5584 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Diamond Lager Yeast
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 12:52:53 pm »
I dunno. I am not saying one caused the other. That’s the avg temp I used to ferment with that yeast. That’s the smell of the beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hopefully the sulfur fades as the beer ages. People post fairly often that sulfur dies down or disappears over time.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 01:32:09 pm »
Ive got a German Pils fermented with diamond and it is v ery clean, and dropped pretty  bright.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 07:43:00 pm »
Of the beers we made with Diamond, there has been zero issues. No off aromas, or flavors. And no sulphur. None.
In fact, this is our new go-to yeast.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 07:18:40 am »
Glad you liked it!  Like you, I prefer it to 34/70.

I prefer anything Lallemand to anything Fermentis.  Granted, my experience with either manufacturer is limited, but I have used Nottingham, Windsor, and BRY-97 with zero off-flavors.  I cannot say that about Fermentis. 

Online BrewBama

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 07:23:33 am »

I prefer anything Lallemand to anything Fermentis.  Granted, my experience with either manufacturer is limited, but I have used Nottingham, Windsor, and BRY-97 with zero off-flavors.  I cannot say that about Fermentis.

I agree

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 07:41:01 am »

Do you think it's a result of having different facilities/labs, or different QC programs?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 08:20:31 am »

I agree

I agree with both of you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 08:21:20 am »

Do you think it's a result of having different facilities/labs, or different QC programs?

All of that and probably more. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 08:34:37 am »

All of that and probably more.
It seems like Lallemand is actively trying to grow their market share by rebranding and adding new varieties. Whereas Fermentis seems complacent. They are just selling the same strains in the same packaging. I know that has nothing to do with quality, but it makes me wonder if their attitudes may extend throughout the respective businesses.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 03:53:02 pm »
It seems like Lallemand is actively trying to grow their market share by rebranding and adding new varieties. Whereas Fermentis seems complacent. They are just selling the same strains in the same packaging. I know that has nothing to do with quality, but it makes me wonder if their attitudes may extend throughout the respective businesses.

In my humble opinion, Lalleman has gone more "in" with respect to brewing than Fermentis.  Fermentis is owned by Lesaffre. Lesaffre pretty much owns the worldwide baking yeast market. Everyone has heard of Red Star yeast.  That is just one of their baking lines.  Lallemand also has a baker's yeast business unit, but they have made a bigger investment in brewing in terms of company focus than Fermentis.  Lallemand acquired controlling share in the Siebel Institute in 2000.  They then purchased AB Vickers Ltd in 2001.

Here is a photo that I shot of a slant I ordered from the Siebel Institute several years ago.  If you look up the address on the slant (6100 Royalmount Montreal, Canada), you will see that it is home to a large Lallemand research complex.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:45:38 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2021, 04:30:43 pm »
FWIW, baking yeast is still Lallemand's largest market.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2021, 05:57:52 pm »
Thank goodness that during the height of the pandemic I could still buy brewer's yeast. Baker's yeast? Not so much. Besides being an avid brewer, I'm also an avid bread maker. At least one of my passions was still well supplied.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2021, 08:01:15 pm »
I have not tried Diamond yet. Is it more or less the Lallemand analog of 34/70? In my head, I viewed it as the analog more of S-189. Or are its characteristics something in between these two strains?

I admittedly don't yet have a huge breadth of experience with dry yeast overall (I'm a relatively recent convert from liquid), but I do love 34/70 and S-189. I've been using these two for a while now and am very impressed. My pre-pro lager with S-189 is as good as beer gets, to my palate. Once there is a good dry yeast analog of Mexican lager WLP940, I will have my dry-lager-yeast quiver fully stocked (for now, I'll keep using 940...god I love that strain).

Question for our resident yeast expert Saccharomyces: I taste the off-flavor from dry yeast that you have mentioned in this and previous posts. With me, I can only describe it as musty/soapy. I suspect it's a fatty acid. Which makes sense, given that with the way dry yeast is propagated, they are enriched in fatty acids. I suspect that flavor is because some cells of dry yeast die at the initial pitch and the flavor comes from autolysis. Curious if you knew any research about this.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 08:04:14 pm by RC »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 07:02:03 am »

Aerobic propagation in bioreactor was perfected using baking lines. That is a bigger market than brewing.  What is weird is that surplus yeast from brewing allowed bakers to move away from natural leavening.  It was the switch from using skimmable top-fermenting cultures to bottom-fermenting cultures in brewing that resulted in the creation of the baking yeast industry.  The process of removing the brown head before taking a crop results in a much cleaner yeast culture that is nowhere near as bitter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2021, 08:18:34 am »
Thank goodness that during the height of the pandemic I could still buy brewer's yeast. Baker's yeast? Not so much. Besides being an avid brewer, I'm also an avid bread maker. At least one of my passions was still well supplied.

It was out there if you looked.  I bought 2 lb. in that period.

www.dennybrew.com