Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BeerSmith vs Brewfather  (Read 12338 times)

Offline Nick Garrod

• 1st Kit
BeerSmith vs Brewfather
« on: April 27, 2021, 04:08:18 pm »
I've been running BeerSmith for a handful of years, and while I like the computer version, I feel like the app is clumsy. I also don't like having to make sure I save everything to the cloud and not my computer so I will have the my ingredient list when I get to the home-brew shop.
I am wondering if anyone has made the switch from BeerSmith to Brewfather. I you did, what do you like about Brewfather, and is there anything you miss? I will also take any opinion on if there is a better software/app out there.

Thanks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BeerSmith vs Brewfather
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 04:17:12 pm »
I like BeerSmith better just because it’s so familiar and i can get a recipe input in very few minutes because i have my profiles set up. ...but I have looked under the hood of BrewFather. I like the water tab in BrewFather and the recipes from around the world.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 04:31:56 pm »
I've tried both and decided I'm gonna stick with the Grainfather app.  You don't need to have a Grainfather to use it, and I think the m-IBU calculation in it gives me more accurate results.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 07:32:52 pm »
I've been using BeerSmith since version 1.xx. I have test hopped BrewFather and various other brewing software, and still prefer BeerSmith. I find creating recipes in BrewFather to be a slow and clunky process, even more so than other software. There is a certain amount of bias and familiarity involved, but even without that, I think BeerSmith is just a superior product. Being able to easily customize almost every function to fit your individual system and process is one of my favorite features. It's enabled me to switch systems and processes almost seamlessly several times.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 07:12:34 am »
I agree with Bob357. Beersmith has a larger learning curve than most but once you commit yourself to that it fits like a glove.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 11:11:09 am »
Anybody on Brewers' Friend as their choice of software?  I may give Grainfather a try, just to check it out.  I used Beersmith for the longest time, then switched to BF a few years back.  The autofill function and having profiles of both of my systems is nice on BF, since I bounce from one to the other based on batch size....I assume those would be available on GF and BS, too, right? 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 11:16:29 am »
Yes, I have several profiles I’ve developed in BS for different batch sizes, mashes, sparge/no sparge, ferment profiles, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 11:52:09 am »
Anybody on Brewers' Friend as their choice of software?  I may give Grainfather a try, just to check it out.  I used Beersmith for the longest time, then switched to BF a few years back.  The autofill function and having profiles of both of my systems is nice on BF, since I bounce from one to the other based on batch size....I assume those would be available on GF and BS, too, right?

I use Brewer's Friend and I like it.  I can't say it's better or worse than anything else because I don't know, but BF is what I know and it works.  I can't see anything else being so much better that I would put myself through another learning curve.

That said, I mainly use BF for water adjustments.  I have my own Excel spreadsheet that I can do everything else on...so I could see a time where I either get fed up with water or so used to adding a bit of this and a bit of that - that I  just use my own calculator.  ;D

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 12:59:06 pm »
I've only used the Beersmith app, and switched to brewfather last year. I vastly prefer Brewfather. Beersmith didn't seem very intuitive to me and always seemed a little clunky. I like how Brewfather has recipes and a batch recipe, in case you need to make last minute adjustments. The water section seems to work well is the best non-bru n water tool I've used. It seems like Brewfather is updated more frequently than Beersmith, adding malts, additional funcitonality, etc.

mIBU looks pretty nifty, I might have to check that out.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 03:45:33 pm »
and having profiles of both of my systems is nice on BF

You need to customize the equipment profiles in Beersmith. You can't just accept the defaults that are provided and expect accurate results.

Beersmith didn't seem very intuitive to me and always seemed a little clunky

Beersmith is highly customizable. The intuition comes from the user who needs to take time to learn the software and to set up the profiles to match your brew day process. Do that and it will no longer seem clunky.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 08:53:21 pm »
I've been using Brewer's Friend for 9+ years now. I went with BF over BeerSmith because Brad didn't have a web version of BeerSmith available at the time. BF does a really good job of pushing out frequent updates and adding ingredients. I recently tried out a new craft malt house (Riverbend), and I was very pleasantly surprised to see the malts I was using already available natively. At this point I don't think I would even try another piece of software. Brewer's Friend does everything I need and more. The water calculator is excellent, and the recent update to import the salt and acid additions into the main recipe they were linked from was a really nice improvement.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 08:13:11 am »
I like BeerSmith better just because it’s so familiar and i can get a recipe input in very few minutes because i have my profiles set up. ...but I have looked under the hood of BrewFather. I like the water tab in BrewFather and the recipes from around the world.

I have to agree with Brewbama here.  Ironically, I was talking to a fellow club member from the Mansfield Brew Club (Ohio) on the phone yesterday about a mash pH problem and he told me that he is making the switch from BeerSmith to Brewfather.  Since I respect his opinion, I gave some thought about doing the same and did some reading on the software.  I had planned to start a thread on this yesterday to gauge opinions on which was better and saw that Nick had already done so.  I came to the conclusion that since I have everything dialed in on BeerSmith, I really didn't want to have to start a learning curve for a new piece of brewing software. 

Yes there was a learning curve for BeerSmith after making the switch from the venerable ProMash years ago, but I am very comfortable with BeerSmith and will stay where I am.

My 0.02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 12:15:26 pm »
and having profiles of both of my systems is nice on BF

You need to customize the equipment profiles in Beersmith. You can't just accept the defaults that are provided and expect accurate results.

Beersmith didn't seem very intuitive to me and always seemed a little clunky

Beersmith is highly customizable. The intuition comes from the user who needs to take time to learn the software and to set up the profiles to match your brew day process. Do that and it will no longer seem clunky.

I've spent some time messing around with it, and even got it to work just fine. There's nothing wrong with Beersmith, and Brads done a great job with support and writing posts about brewing in general. For my experience, Brewfather is just laid out in a manner that makes more sense. I think of it more like when my wife was buying a DSLR, she preferred the Nikon because how the controls were laid out made more sense to her than the Canon. You can make great beer with a handful of programs, but why retrain my brain to use Beersmith when Brewfather works great?

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 07:29:59 pm »
I went with BrewFather over BeerSmith mobile pretty much solely because BrewFather has a try-before-you model and BeerSmith Mobile wants you pay up front (maybe there's a mobile demo, but if so, it didn't come up when I was searching).
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 08:40:11 pm »
I've been using BS for almost 8 years now. I downloaded whatever was available for promash when I started but had a tough time getting it to work. BS makes my brew day so simple as long as i spend the time on the front side to get my profiles and recipes in line. The only issue I have had so far has been an IT problem when switching to new laptops. That's not a software issue that's my tech issue, back ups and recovery and all that

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:11:45 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)