Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any thoughts on fixing this Anvil pump?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Any thoughts on fixing this Anvil pump?
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:06:05 am »
I dropped my anvil pump the other day and gave the cord a good yank. It busted off the strain reliever on the pump housing. Pic is here: (https://imgur.com/a/BQkPYTP)

I looked over the Anivl parts list (https://www.anvilbrewing.com/category-s/107.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=107&show=30&page=1) and couldn't find the strain reliever or a replacement "cap". Contacted Anvil but there seems to be some confusion in the design of the current pumps. Current models, the housing is apparently "welded on". Mine is attached with screws so the service rep wasn't able to find a part that would work I guess.

Wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket cord clamp/strain reliever that would work for something like this? The pumps seems to work Ok yet so don't want to buy a new one. I've got a 3d printer but before spending half a day fabricating something, I thought I'd check here first. Might be some electrians on the forum that might know just how to fix or at least point me in the right direction.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Any thoughts on fixing this Anvil pump?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:09:13 am »
Tbh their stuff is so cheaply made I would just buy a new one. You don't want to attempt to repair an electrical device that has anything to do with water

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 10:09:48 am »
And I would 100 percent not use that

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 01:14:16 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 01:36:03 pm »

None of these will thread into a molded case pump housing. Once the pump housing is broke like this the UL listing on it is void or whichever underwriter lab they used to have it tested. The windings of the small motor are now susceptible to moisture and saturation and create a very unnecessary electrical hazard for the user of this pump. Might just be 120 volts but remember .5 MA can kill you.

Hate to see somebody get hurt. I was on the anvil foundry Facebook page and I saw a lot of bad advice and very dangerous electrical installs from people who take advice from forums and not a licensed electrician.

I'm a 15 year Journeyman wireman.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:39:31 pm by Oiscout »

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 03:01:15 pm »
Hate to see somebody get hurt. I was on the anvil foundry Facebook page and I saw a lot of bad advice and very dangerous electrical installs from people who take advice from forums and not a licensed electrician.

I'm a 15 year Journeyman wireman.

The windings are actually enclosed in the metal part of them pump housing (https://imgur.com/a/rTkKzRl) . I do appreciate your experienced advice, however.  I'll see about contacting Anvil again. Maybe sending the pump in to get fixed would be cheaper than a new pump...or funeral.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 03:04:12 pm »
If you don't think water will get into your windings you know more than me....... Just be careful. Water WILL find it's way down those conductors and over that tape into the windings and not to mention those termination points stored behind that plastic cap.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:10:49 pm by Oiscout »

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Any thoughts on fixing this Anvil pump?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 03:12:08 pm »
I certainly defer to your expertise. But my photo was not to suggest the OP use one of the three strain relief devices pictured, but to demonstrate there are 202 strain relief devices at that one particular store. I am sure there is one with a gland around the wires and o-ring at the base that would work just fine.

I’d repair that pump myself and wouldn’t think twice. Other than the pump head being visible, my pump is under a table. The electrical connection does not get wet. But to be safe it is plugged into a GFI. After all, it is used in a brewery.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:38:10 am by BrewBama »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 03:18:10 pm »
 I said my peace whatever you do STAY SAFE

Offline grizwold

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 11:38:42 pm »
use something like Brewbama found and goop it up with silicone.
oops
I meant to do that

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 04:08:09 am »
I am sure there is one with a gland around the wires and o-ring at the base that would work just fine.

"gland" was the key word, thanks! I kept searching for 'strain relief' and just not finding the right things. Going to try one of these and see if it keeps the pump housing watertight: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFCGFYF/

If not, I'll probably just get a new one, as Oiscout mentioned. No matter how hard I try to keep the floor dry, I always end up with water all over the place.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:11:07 am by Joe_Beer »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 08:29:21 am »
I think I have the exact little do-dad that will fix this.  In the world of home electricity there exists a small plastic grommet that protects wire cables that enter the breaker-box. This should work without disconnecting the wires or accessing anything from the inside.  This small plastic thing will allow the wire to pass through from the side and then snap into the existing hole in the metal housing.  Goop it up well with silicone and it should be pretty darn waterproof.  It is item #3182805 at Ace Hardware.  It's called an NM Cable Connector.  They're normally available in 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" sizes.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 12:13:49 pm »
I'll add that at the very least you should make sure that your pump is being plugged into a working GFCI outlet- might save your butt in the event you have an issue.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 02:32:20 pm »
I'll add that at the very least you should make sure that your pump is being plugged into a working GFCI outlet- might save your butt in the event you have an issue.

That's a really good reminder. It's too easy to forget and just plug the pump into the nearest outlet. I use one of these for both the pump and the Anvil Foundry. Let's me brew outside when the weather is nice enough:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-6-ft-4-Outlet-GFCI-Workshop-Power-Block-with-Hinged-Safety-Covers-4644/203639024

It is item #3182805 at Ace Hardware.  It's called an NM Cable Connector.  They're normally available in 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" sizes.

Thanks man! I've already disconnected the wiring and and installed the gland but this would have been way easier to install. eh.. crap

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 06:47:09 pm »
A good reminder to me as well as it turns out.  Just ordered an in-line GFCI for my 240V induction burner that I've been using without it- which is plain dangerous and stupid.  Can't brew beer if you're dead.