Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irish red recipe  (Read 1624 times)

Offline ChrisRas

• 1st Kit
Irish red recipe
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:21:57 am »
Hello all. I wanted to see if anyone has a suggested Irish red ale recipe. I like the style but have had trouble in getting it dialed in with the style. I’ve had a tendency to end up with something closer to a dark mild that has some fruity esters. I’m going for more dry.

I typically user maris otter, some 40l crystal , and roast barley.

I think where I might be going wrong is on yeast. I’ve used S04 which I refuse to use further because I find it unreliable.

Anyway, I’d appreciate any recipes anyone might suggest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Irish red recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 11:08:02 am »
Hello all. I wanted to see if anyone has a suggested Irish red ale recipe. I like the style but have had trouble in getting it dialed in with the style. I’ve had a tendency to end up with something closer to a dark mild that has some fruity esters. I’m going for more dry.

I think where I might be going wrong is on yeast. I’ve used S04 which I refuse to use further because I find it unreliable.

Try subbing a co pitch of Windsor plus Nottingham instead of the S04. You will get more English yeast flavor, and better performance in my opinion. I haven't tried it yet, but Verdant IPA supposedly has an English ester profile as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 11:21:15 am »
This would be one of the situations that I would go to BrewFather and seek out a recipe:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 08:50:39 pm »

Most english yeasts like S-04 will give some estery character. If that's not your preference, try looking to Imperial Darkness A10.

Also, crystal malts can give some fruit character. If you're using to to give color, i'd consider droping it and just using Roasted Barley to add color.

I brewed this Brighid's Irish Red Ale. It uses rye, and an english yeast. It's a great recipie.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 05:53:37 am »
If you like the direction for flavor of the current recipe but are looking to reduce esters and increase dryness I would simply cut the crystal malt amount in half and switch to Nottingham yeast. Notty is a very versatile yeast capable of producing almost lager clean beer or fruity English style beer. I would suggest fermenting at 64°. BTW the recipe you are using is very close to a standard recipe used by many.

IRA and Nottingham is a very good fit. Nottingham like American Ale II and others is a very versatile yeast that you will benefit from experimenting with as a brewer. IRA is such a simple but not super clean brew it gives you a very good chance to play with your process. In order to drive dryness you could lower the temperature on your mash and increase mash duration say conduct a 90 or 120 minute mash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 02:16:14 pm »
Ideally you want to use something like Wy1084. My recipe is as follows, typically, and I love it. It has a very nice ruby red color and amazing malt character.

OG 1.047
FG 1.012
SRM 14.2
Maris Otter 93%
Special Roast 5%
Roasted Barley 2%
East Kent Goldings 1oz 60 FWH
East Kent Goldings 1oz 15 min
Wy1084

This recipe is awesome. Can't wait to get it on my new nitro setup.
Jesse