Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canning yeast slurry  (Read 981 times)

Offline theWOZZ87

• 1st Kit
Canning yeast slurry
« on: May 03, 2021, 03:25:58 pm »
Hello,

I use this forum a lot so thanks for all the past assistance!

I was just wondering if anyone has used a beer canning machine to store yeast slurry? I was thinking of doing big batches on the stir plate and then sealing them with the canner and keeping in the fridge for a quick sanitize and pop and dump when I’m brewing. Was wondering about the impact of pressure in the can, maybe I could CO2 purge and not fill all the way. Was worried about explosions too. Thanks for any thoughts and my thoughts was is I would use these up every few months.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Canning yeast slurry
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 09:07:54 am »
I think you should leave the top off of the can and replace it with a sheet of plastic wrap or similar, because sealing the can is asking for trouble and perhaps injury.  I use plastic kitchen containers and lids (think Tupperware or Rubbermaid) and they release pressure without much issue.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 09:43:45 am »
I think you should leave the top off of the can and replace it with a sheet of plastic wrap or similar, because sealing the can is asking for trouble and perhaps injury.  I use plastic kitchen containers and lids (think Tupperware or Rubbermaid) and they release pressure without much issue.

Agreed. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:41:46 am »
We keep and store our yeast in gallon glass jugs, at 34 degrees F. Either with aluminum foil crimped over the top, or with the cap loosely in place.

Works good, lasts a long time.

Offline theWOZZ87

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 11:51:45 am »
Thanks to all for your replies! I thought I read about it being done somewhere and thought it would be a sterile and airtight environment but definitely not worth explosions. I’m guessing it was just the wort being canned by itself is what I thought I saw. Saw a post about vacuum packing slurry which was a cool idea.