Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer tubing lines vinyl or poly?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline copachino

• Cellarman
Beer tubing lines vinyl or poly?
« on: May 03, 2021, 04:16:55 pm »
hi, i cant seem to have access to regular brew tubing lines, so i just went to my lical shop for ubing and the have 2 options>

1. 1/4 inch ID 1/2 OD vynyl reinforced tubing, this its food grade FDA and for a max 250 psi operation
   2.  1/4 inch ID 3/8 OD Parker Parflex Polypropylene Tubing NSF 51 White this its for 150 psi operation FDA NSF-51 NSF-61 type 1.

the vynyl seem thicker but i seem somehow flexible and smell like pastic, the poly seem thinner but a lot more rigid, also its odorless.

so im wondering if this options are good specially the poly tubing, for my keezer, or i should buy from a hombrew store some beer lines, that might be expensive due the shipping cost to my country, so i had to try locally first

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer tubing lines vinyl or poly?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 07:47:27 pm »
I use the 4 mm EVA barrier tubing for my beer lines. It's double walled and I need only 6' from the keg to the faucet.  More Beer sells it.  Get the Duo Tight connectors for the lines.  They will screw on to your keg connectors and your faucet shank.  I heard about this a year ago  from a friend on the forum and became a big believer.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 06:44:13 am »
I use the 4 mm EVA barrier tubing for my beer lines. It's double walled and I need only 6' from the keg to the faucet.  More Beer sells it.  Get the Duo Tight connectors for the lines.  They will screw on to your keg connectors and your faucet shank.  I heard about this a year ago  from a friend on the forum and became a big believer.

+1

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:12:49 am »

I just made the switch for my draft lines (then my kegerator died). I'm a huge fan. It was easy to put together, easy to take apart, and the line wasn't too expensive. It'll make setting up my beergun easy, or switching to a commercial keg. Planning on upgrading my gas lines to duotight when I have a chance.

I'd recommend not going with the 1/4" ID tubes, you're going to need a lot of line to balance it. You can use the calculator below, 2.3 volumes of CO2 (fairly standard carb level) at 40F requires 10 PSI.  With 1/4" ID tube, you'd need ~33 ft for a proper pour. Reducing the ID to 3/16 reduces the amount of line to ~8 ft. I've always found I've needed a few extra feet from what the calculators suggest.
https://www.kegerators.com/beer-line-calculator/