Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopped Saison entered as a Belgian IPA Homebrew Comp  (Read 849 times)

Offline vleonino

• 1st Kit
Dry Hopped Saison entered as a Belgian IPA Homebrew Comp
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:35:44 am »
Hello,

I am considering entering a Dry Hopped Saison (w/ Saisonstein yeast, Loral, and Sorachi Ace Hops) as a Belgian IPA in an upcoming Homebrew Competition, IPA Classic 2021. Here is the recipe link https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1142563/picnic-poker

Here are the Guidelines for this category: An IPA with the fruitiness and spiciness derived from the use of Belgian yeast. The examples from Belgium tend to be lighter in color and more attenuated, similar to a tripel that has been brewed with more hops. This beer has a more complex flavor profile and may be higher in alcohol than a typical IPA.

This would be my first competition entry. Is their anything about this recipe that wouldn't fit the category? I have this going in the fermenter currently and I don't think I will have the time/space to make another IPA category before drop-offs are due.

Thanks!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Dry Hopped Saison entered as a Belgian IPA Homebrew Comp
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 07:41:33 am »
It might not score as well as you hope due to the light color and low ABV, but it does come pretty close to an IPA. Go ahead and enter it, they might love it.  Always a crapshoot.  I have done well with crazier entries, it happens.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 09:15:01 am »
Sit down and drink a glass while you read through the guidelines. Pretend you know nothing about the beer, like the judges.  Then see how closely it matches the guidelines.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline vleonino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 04:38:09 pm »
Thank you both for the insight. It is appreciated. :)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 07:21:57 pm »
I think you can enter it as Specialty IPA without specifying Belgian IPA if it is an IPA but Belgian IPA doesn't quite fit.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 07:32:12 am »
Just to add to this thread.  I dry hop all of my saisons but not heavily (maybe an ounce in a 10 gallon batch).  I have entered them as saisons and have medaled with them in that category.  But Denny has a good point.  Taste the beer and read the style guidelines at the same time to see if it meets the criteria for the style in which you want to enter the beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified