Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stainless Hydra  (Read 1525 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Stainless Hydra
« on: May 07, 2021, 01:25:42 pm »
I just received this yesterday.  Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow...

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Stainless Hydra
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 01:28:19 pm »
Let us know how it goes. I opted for the full copper.. even though my whole brewery is stainless lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 02:25:53 pm »
Very snazzy.  I've never tried one of their products that wasn't fantastic.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 05:44:49 am »
I also have the Hydra and LOVE IT!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 08:37:47 pm »

A 1/2"x50' coil will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost. It's just about how much water you can move.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:45 am »
I've been using a 50' stainless coil for the last few years (3/8" though, not 1/2"), and it works fine.  Before that, I had a 25' copper coil which also worked fine.

So far, I'm really liking this hydra though. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 02:37:44 pm »

A 1/2"x50' coil will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost. It's just about how much water you can move.
Water flow is important but surface area is equally important. The hydra has 75' of 3/8" tubing, which has more surface area than 50' of 1/2' tubing.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 03:56:48 pm »
Water flow is important but surface area is equally important. The hydra has 75' of 3/8" tubing, which has more surface area than 50' of 1/2' tubing.

At a different forum we compared the SS hydra to the coil I described above with differing water flows and temperatures. The performance difference was basically a wash. Which incidentally is harder to do with that mess of coils.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 05:12:39 pm »
I have a copper hydra but want to eliminate that last piece of copper so I decided to just use my stainless HERMS coil. I begin the cooling with just cold tap and change out the water occasionally to about 100*F and then use ice + cold tap to hit pitch temp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 05:44:37 pm »

At a different forum we compared the SS hydra to the coil I described above with differing water flows and temperatures. The performance difference was basically a wash. Which incidentally is harder to do with that mess of coils.
Yes, my first reaction to seeing the picture is that it would be hard to clean. It is interesting to hear that the two coils performed similarly, but I stand by my statement that surface area is important in addition to water flow.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 05:52:53 pm »

Yes, my first reaction to seeing the picture is that it would be hard to clean. It is interesting to hear that the two coils performed similarly, but I stand by my statement that surface area is important in addition to water flow.

That certainly was my finding also when I switched from a single coil to a Hydra.  And it isn't at all hard to clean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 05:00:56 pm »

Besides having a good flow of cooling water anything that increases the contact between the hot fluid and the cold improves heat transfer. Surface area of the coils can do that but also simply movement of the hot wort past the chilled coils is also quite effective.