Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping with homegrown hops  (Read 2637 times)

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
Dry hopping with homegrown hops
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:06:15 am »
I'd like to hear people's experiences on dry hopping with homegrown hops. I've heard conflicting information on this subject. A lot of people say that hops are naturally antiseptic, but others who've tried dry hopping with homegrown hops have said they've had mixed results, getting contaminated batches, etc. The only time I tried it, myself, I noticed some off flavors from contamination. What are people's experiences with this?
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry hopping with homegrown hops
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:42 am »
I've dry hopped with homegrown hops at least dozens of times and never gotten an infection from it.  I have a keg on tap right now with 2 oz. of my homegrown Cascades in it as dry hops.  No problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:47:26 am »
I have had very good results from HG hops in the secondary, although my practice includes a short spin in the microwave, becuase I have had some experience with small bugs on the hops, a shot in the microwave does the trick for me, make sure your hops have been dried well first however, if not they will cook and get brown and ugly very fast.
Brewing up history

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:31:41 pm »
I've always dried and frozen mine first before using as a dry hop. Always had good results. I wouldn't use them fresh as a dry hop- too much contamination risk. The microwaving tip mentioned above would work, but I prefer freezing. I've had bug issues in the past, but not this year!
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified