Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with a liqueur  (Read 656 times)

Offline Hamms&Kegs

• 1st Kit
Brewing with a liqueur
« on: May 11, 2021, 10:01:21 am »
Hi y'all,
So I'm trying to brew a whole grain beer in collaboration with my wife's uncle's limoncello . I've never brewed with a liquor before I'm thinking of going with a hefeweizen since lemon and wheat go well together. If anyone's done this before I'd love some suggestions on when to add the liqueur, and how much per 5 gallons. Trying to get something that you can definitely tell that there is that limoncello in there but not have it too overpowering. There's also some added sugar in there so I've got some fermenting issues as well that I need to manage. I was thinking I might have to incorporate a Camden tablet when I feel the beer has reached a gravity that is palatable. I will be kegging it. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:07:57 am by TooMuchKrausen! »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Brewing with a liqueur
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 03:14:13 pm »
I can't comment on how much lemoncello to use, but I think a Saison would be perfect for this. You wouldn't need to worry about it going too dry, since that's to style anyways. A lcitrusy hop would be a nice pairing as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Brewing with a liqueur
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 08:40:59 am »
If you don't want the sugar in the limoncello to ferment then the limoncello needs to be added to beer that has been fully fermented, cold crashed and then stabilized. Otherwise put at the end of secondary to not lose flavor during ferment.