Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Angry at my Barley Crusher  (Read 3530 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Angry at my Barley Crusher
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 10:58:01 am »
Are the rollers even? If the rollers are not even all the way across you will have a hard time getting the rollers to grab the grain and begin crushing.

Is this just a BC thing?  My JSP is built with uneven rollers and it's one of the plusses it has.  Supposedly simukates a 3 roller mill.  Dunno if that's true, but I get a great crush from it.
I was thinking the same thing when I read Keith’s comment. If I open to the widest setting on the JSP the gaps are even on both ends but as I close the setting the gap narrows only on one end because, while one end is adjustable, the other end is fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, the only design I've ever seen like that.  You can't deny it's effectiveness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 11:04:32 am »
Might only be applicable to 3 roller mills, which makes sense since the malt would get jammed into the gap between the 3rd roller. It did fix my problem though!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 11:13:23 am »
Are the rollers even? If the rollers are not even all the way across you will have a hard time getting the rollers to grab the grain and begin crushing.

Is this just a BC thing?  My JSP is built with uneven rollers and it's one of the plusses it has.  Supposedly simukates a 3 roller mill.  Dunno if that's true, but I get a great crush from it.
I was thinking the same thing when I read Keith’s comment. If I open to the widest setting on the JSP the gaps are even on both ends but as I close the setting the gap narrows only on one end because, while one end is adjustable, the other end is fixed.

Yeah, the only design I've ever seen like that.  You can't deny it's effectiveness.
Conservatively, ~1,500 lbs and counting....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 11:21:07 am »

Conservatively, ~1,500 lbs and counting....

I would guess mine has way more than that since for at least 15 years 2 of us were using it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 11:45:54 am »
After crushing grain with the Monster Mill I use my air compressor to blow out all of the junk and dust that is left on the rollers. This helps it stay clean and grind better hopefully.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 12:05:22 pm »
On my MM3 mill the non-driven roller will get stuck now and then.  It's inconsistent so I normally drop a few grains in before pouring in the whole batch (as someone mentioned earlier).  I think whatever is stopping it get caught between the dead roller and the bottom roller, sort of like something ends up on the wrong side of the roller for some reason.  When it gets stuck, I have to turn the lower roller backwards by hand and it generally works fine from that point on.

My old BC worked great until the teeth got too smooth.  Sent it back to be reconditioned and it worked for half as long as the first time. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 01:03:34 pm »
You can buy replacement rollers for your Barley Crusher for $59 at:
https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Barley-Crusher-Replacement-Roller-Set_p_8256.html
My BC stopped grabbing the grain and I tried everything: cleaning, lubrication, reversing the non-driven roller., etc. That worked for awhile. I finally gave up and bought the replacement rollers listed above. They are now starting to have problems, and I haven't used them nearly as much as the originals. The rollers are cheaper than buying a new mill, but after several sets it stops making sense.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2021, 08:47:00 pm »
I blow out the mill with compressed air after every batch. Still have issues. And for $59 for new rollers I’ll just get a new mill thanks. Probably a three roller monster mill so I can be like the cool kids. For real this mill died early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 05:28:43 am »
I blow out the mill with compressed air after every batch. Still have issues. And for $59 for new rollers I’ll just get a new mill thanks. Probably a three roller monster mill so I can be like the cool kids. For real this mill died early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my 3 roller mill but I have more issues with it, generally, than I did with a 2 roller.  If I ever need to buy a third mill I would look at 2 rollers with larger barrel rollers.  More surface area and less places for issues to occur.  YMMV (of course)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 07:55:11 am »
I think large diameter rollers are key. I bought a BrewTek mill from Brewers Resource over 20 years ago, and I went with that one because it has 2" diameter rollers. After 20 plus years and well over 2000 lbs the mill is still running strong. I hope it never dies because this mill is no longer made.
Do any of the current mills come with 2" diameter rollers?

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 10:06:43 am »
I recently purchased a 2 roller Monster Mill. It has 2" rollers.

This mill isn't the least expensive option but works great, and hopefully will age well.
Roger

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 10:27:13 am »
I think large diameter rollers are key. I bought a BrewTek mill from Brewers Resource over 20 years ago, and I went with that one because it has 2" diameter rollers. After 20 plus years and well over 2000 lbs the mill is still running strong. I hope it never dies because this mill is no longer made.
Do any of the current mills come with 2" diameter rollers?

The SS Brewtech grain mill (https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/ss-grain-mill) has 4" diameter rollers. It also costs $800.....
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 11:07:34 am »
I think the Blickman has large rollers, too. ...for a grand.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 11:46:48 am »
I think I paid about $140 back in the day. Not sure what that would equal now with 20 plus years of inflation, but I've certainly got my money's worth.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 08:13:37 am »
Everyone needs to go back to the Corona Mill