Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew pre 1978 stories?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Homebrew pre 1978 stories?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 04:14:04 pm »
Huh .... learn something new. Brown bricks. Wonder if that was industry wide.

aged hops used to be something desired at different places and in different time periods, even in germany and england at times I believe.

I guess it's to minimize hop flavour, while still providing some bitterness?

In this case, it was simply because people didn't know any better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 04:19:06 pm »
Its not pre 78' but 1987.Its my first time making beer. I bought a complete kit with fermentor, air lock, the whole 9 yards right? I cleaned and sanitized the fermentor and let it air dry. Gather ed tap water and boiled it. Added the John Bull LME and hops!! Man Im getting excited smelling the aromas! Cooled the wort, pitched the yeast and placed the bubbler on top. Put it in a cool corner of the living room and waited for what felt like years. I wanted to try this beer that I knew was going to be DELICIOUS. Now comes bottling time and more waiting...... Finally the day arrives and I have a few friends from work over to try with me. Ive been bragging this beer up for weeks. We each decant a bottle into a glass, give it a big sniff, up to the lips it goes...down the hatch... the look on our faces was priceless as we immediately realized that what we just swallowed was the most hideous swill any of us had ever tasted. I was embarrassed to say the least and endured days of ball busting torment more so because I bragged this putrid elixir to no end!! It was another decade before I even thought about making "beer" again! Ahhhh the good old s***ty bad days!!

wow, thats p crazy. it was a lack of sanitation? was it sour? bad yeast?

I have absolutely no idea! I think it was recommended to use bleach as a sanitizer sooooo pretty sure that beast was sterile! LOL! IIRC it wasn't sour. It very well could have been the yeast. Dry yeast packet and who knows how long it sat at variable room temps?!?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 04:29:58 pm »
Its not pre 78' but 1987.Its my first time making beer. I bought a complete kit with fermentor, air lock, the whole 9 yards right? I cleaned and sanitized the fermentor and let it air dry. Gather ed tap water and boiled it. Added the John Bull LME and hops!! Man Im getting excited smelling the aromas! Cooled the wort, pitched the yeast and placed the bubbler on top. Put it in a cool corner of the living room and waited for what felt like years. I wanted to try this beer that I knew was going to be DELICIOUS. Now comes bottling time and more waiting...... Finally the day arrives and I have a few friends from work over to try with me. Ive been bragging this beer up for weeks. We each decant a bottle into a glass, give it a big sniff, up to the lips it goes...down the hatch... the look on our faces was priceless as we immediately realized that what we just swallowed was the most hideous swill any of us had ever tasted. I was embarrassed to say the least and endured days of ball busting torment more so because I bragged this putrid elixir to no end!! It was another decade before I even thought about making "beer" again! Ahhhh the good old s***ty bad days!!

I had almost the same experience in 1996 -- John Bull Extract with yeast under the lid. Tasted like vomit (literally probably was butyric acid.) I was so proud of that beer though that it took me drinking several before I realized it was sh!t. lololol

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 04:37:10 pm »

I had almost the same experience in 1996 -- John Bull Extract with yeast under the lid. Tasted like vomit (literally probably was butyric acid.) I was so proud of that beer though that it took me drinking several before I realized it was sh!t. lololol

Home brewing certainly has come a long long way from its infancy. Im pretty sure there were peops who did brew some fantastic beer with what was available them back in the day.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 05:01:04 pm »
Jeff Renner started in the early 70s IIRC. He has some stories about the limited supplies and old hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 06:00:16 pm »
As I mentioned, he said the hop bricks were something utilized in the baking industry. It was not for any old hop characteristics, it was just because that was what they could find.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 06:56:08 pm »
As I mentioned, he said the hop bricks were something utilized in the baking industry. It was not for any old hop characteristics, it was just because that was what they could find.

Mmmmmmmm .... old hop pizza dough!  ;) Aren't hops toxic if consumed?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 12:10:30 pm »
Aren't hops toxic if consumed?

I don't think so for humans. Pickled hop shoots are a food item but I couldn't see wanting to eat hop cones and they don't seem like they would taste great beyond the lupulin.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline waterbull66

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 09:45:41 am »
   My understanding is the hops can potentially be harmful to cattle, so no mash hopping if someone is going to feed your spent grain to their livestock, but  are we not "consuming" hops every time we pop a cap on almost any beer we brew??

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 09:54:36 am »
   My understanding is the hops can potentially be harmful to cattle, so no mash hopping if someone is going to feed your spent grain to their livestock, but  are we not "consuming" hops every time we pop a cap on almost any beer we brew??

I hadn't heard about cattle.  I know they can be toxic to dogs, although it seems some breeds more than others.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 10:43:49 am »

Yes. farmer don't like it when you dump your spent hops in the spent grain.

Online jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 11:30:53 am »

A local brewpub sends their spent grain to a worm farmer who insists that the barley be organically grown.  He said that he used to get spent grain from a local regional brewery that didn't use organic malt and it killed all his worms.  I'm a little skeptical of that claim.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 02:11:03 pm »

A local brewpub sends their spent grain to a worm farmer who insists that the barley be organically grown.  He said that he used to get spent grain from a local regional brewery that didn't use organic malt and it killed all his worms.  I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

I can't speak for the farmer but when I have nothing actively growing in my garden I load every bit of tilled soil I have with spent grain and hops. I have many happy worms!! As for hops being toxic to dogs, all I can say about that is my neighbors Golden Retriever has been seen eating from my dump piles on more than 1 occasion and he is doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 02:51:50 pm »

I can't speak for the farmer but when I have nothing actively growing in my garden I load every bit of tilled soil I have with spent grain and hops. I have many happy worms!! As for hops being toxic to dogs, all I can say about that is my neighbors Golden Retriever has been seen eating from my dump piles on more than 1 occasion and he is doing well.

Glad your neighbor's dog is OK, but there are man y documented cases of dogs being poisoned by hops. It gives them malignant hyperthermia.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com