Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cleaning auto siphon  (Read 6397 times)

Offline dreamacres

• 1st Kit
Re: cleaning auto siphon
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 09:38:21 am »
the stainless steel one on kickstarter is just about to go into final production looks like needed a few more tweaks looks like can still preorder on indiegogo

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 10:26:46 am »
At one time there was a Kickstarter for a Stainless Steel siphon. Anyone know it's status? 

I backed it, but have been using a sterilizable silicone tubing with a stainless Tee + a stainless piece of tubing (stainless bottling wand) and a check valve. It's a diy version of https://ballandkeg.com/dual-purpose-siphon-overview essentially. Works well, smooth transfer, no aeration unless I want it to. Depending on how I like the probrewers siphon (the kickstarter one), when it finally shows up, I may sell one of them.

I like that I can take it apart, and put all of the pieces in my pressure cooker for sterilization.

Offline john.buck.946

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 12:14:29 pm »
I use a 60gal cooler with a drain for sanitizing tubes and canes etc. I also find it keeps my beer and food cold on camping and picnics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 03:48:21 pm »
I guess I'm a bit more low-tech than most of you guys.  I pump sanitizer through mine, making sure to pull out the interior piece to its max extension to fill the whole chamber with fluid.  Then I spray the outside with Star-San.  After use, I pump about a quart of cold water through it, followed by another flush with sanitizer.  No problems ever.  I hang it to dry with the hose at full extension so all the drips can drop out.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 10:26:22 pm »
I guess I'm a bit more low-tech than most of you guys.  I pump sanitizer through mine, making sure to pull out the interior piece to its max extension to fill the whole chamber with fluid.  Then I spray the outside with Star-San.  After use, I pump about a quart of cold water through it, followed by another flush with sanitizer.  No problems ever.  I hang it to dry with the hose at full extension so all the drips can drop out.

I'm kind of like you. If I'm racking my two buckets of fermented beer to kegs I'll have another bucket half full of fresh star san I work from to give a final sanitize to the receiving kegs, keg lids and auto siphon prior to using them.  After racking I'll first spray out the top of the auto siphon, and pump warm water through it same time as washing buckets at the sink, and finish by circulating star san through the auto siphon via the bucket and pour more into the top and the sides with a measuring cup.  I'm already busy at the sink washing yeast down the sink and washing, or at minimum well rinsing out my fermenter buckets. Then I hang it to drip dry.  Never had a problem.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:32:55 pm by brewsumore »

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:56 am »
Thanks for all the replys. Some good ideas here.
Jimmykx250

Offline JakorSen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 03:50:14 am »
--
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 07:53:36 am by majorvices »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 07:25:19 am »
Does anyone know which product for carpet cleaning is good? I see you talk about siphon, but some of you may have carpet in their cars.
Hey spambot, I cleaned your mom's carpet real good last night.  :P :P :P

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Malthopper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 07:30:36 am »
I'm glad the hang it up to drip dry method is working for so many people. If it's not broke don't fix it. But it's pretty humid where I Iive and I noticed little droplets in my tubing stayed around longer than I was confortable with. Got a friend who has an air compressor set up in his brewery just to blow out his lines. I went with a $20 Ryobi 18V cordless air blower. Meant for inflating air mattresses and pool floats. Takes maybe 10 seconds to blow out a line. Also use it to clean my mill and the cart I built for it. Takes maybe a minute to blow away all the grain dust and barley kernals from the rollers, hopper, collection bucket, and cart. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2021, 07:46:47 am »
No need to overthink it. Give it a good rinse after use, sanitize before use. I just can't figure out how it could be complicated?