Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Cleaning Gizmos  (Read 2764 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Bottle Cleaning Gizmos
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 05:02:01 pm »
I mean, technically the real problem would be beer stone (eventually) and PBW isn't gonna fix that. So why the extra work? As long as you get the yeast out and the bottle is visually clean ... it's clean for all intents and purposes AFAIC. SO why go through all the extra steps? When my OCD kicks in I give them a 30 minute hot oxiclean soak.

But that extra elbow grease doesn't hurt anything. And if it makes you feel better -- hell yeah!

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 12:11:37 pm »
As long as you get the yeast out and the bottle is visually clean ... it's clean for all intents and purposes AFAIC.

I'm with you.  I guess my bottles aren't as dirty to begin with? 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 12:59:50 pm »
I mainly cleaned the bottles with a water blast at one time. I checked each one after it dried, and they all looked perfectly clean. Then I tried an oxi clean soak on some, and scrubbed with a brush. After drying, I could see streaks in the bottom where the brush didn't get. I decided the clean looking bottles probably all had a thin film on the bottom that wasn't coming out. That's when I started testing different cleaning methods and finally settled on a bleach soak. It seems to work better than anything else I've tried, with no scrubbing. Normally I'm not a fan of bleach, but for glass bottles I'm confident a good hot jet washer rinse gets rid of the chlorine.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 02:08:10 pm »
I like to be reminded why I long ago switched to kegging!  I have one friend who persisted in returning bottles without rinsing despite my reminders.  Eventually I just stopped giving him bottles.  It is such a simple step to rinse after pouring the beer…
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 02:18:58 pm »
I mainly cleaned the bottles with a water blast at one time. I checked each one after it dried, and they all looked perfectly clean. Then I tried an oxi clean soak on some, and scrubbed with a brush. After drying, I could see streaks in the bottom where the brush didn't get. I decided the clean looking bottles probably all had a thin film on the bottom that wasn't coming out. That's when I started testing different cleaning methods and finally settled on a bleach soak. It seems to work better than anything else I've tried, with no scrubbing. Normally I'm not a fan of bleach, but for glass bottles I'm confident a good hot jet washer rinse gets rid of the chlorine.

Not saying you are wrong, but if you leave oxiclean for too long (even overnight) it can leave a film. I wonder if that is what you were seeing?

I just started bottling again (I still keg too) but if I had to use a bottle brush one every bottle and go back to how anal about as I was 20 years or so again I'd probably not bottle. lol

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 08:46:07 am »
I have to admit, you all make it more complicated than I do. A hot rinse after the bottle is empty. Another hot rinse followed by a good sanitizer rinse and upside down to drain (I use an empty dishwasher) then fill. Every once in a while I will give them a good hot oxiclean soak followed by a blast of hot water to rinse but aside from that, if they are so dirty that they need scrubbed, I usually just replace them.

Switching my soaking step to use actual PBW resolved most of my issues. And (bonus!) the PBW does a good job of taking off (most) old labels, too.

Just replacing bottles isn't as easy for me since I like the lines on Belgian-style 33cl bottles (or the similar-looking 12oz ones used by a handful of American brewers) better than regular 12oz longnecks. Those aren't widely available at homebrew quantities; so my primary means of replacing them is buying expensive 4 packs of Dupont or Madame Rose or similar.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 09:46:19 am »
Not saying you are wrong, but if you leave oxiclean for too long (even overnight) it can leave a film. I wonder if that is what you were seeing?
It could be an oxiclean film - good point. Now you've got me wondering if my overnight oxiclean soak of other equipment is leaving a film. But that's another subject.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 09:56:23 am »
It could be an oxiclean film - good point. Now you've got me wondering if my overnight oxiclean soak of other equipment is leaving a film. But that's another subject.

It kind a depends on your water.  If it has a relatively high level of minerals, I've seen oxiclean do that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 02:02:53 pm »

It kind a depends on your water.  If it has a relatively high level of minerals, I've seen oxiclean do that.
If it's just with high mineral water, I'm ok - my water is very low in minerals.

Offline Paul Bern

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 01:04:10 pm »
I eventually bought all my bottles then I didn't need to get the labels off and they are all the same size - much easier for capping. I rinse with hot water and a tiny drop of dish detergent immediately after pouring. Then I wait until my wife nags me about all the bottles in the dishrack and put them in the box they came in until I'm ready to bottle again.

I have a FastWash 24 with a second rack. I also got a plastic storage tub from Target and drilled a 1-inch hole in the bottom corner for easy drainage (use a rubber stopper when necessary). I do it in the utility sink in my basement; I imagine a bathtub would work as well. I put a rack of bottles in, wash with PBW for 5 minutes, put the other rack in, wash for 5 minutes. Drain the tub and rinse it good, put a rack in and rinse with clear water, same with second rack. Drain, then fill again with IoStar solution (need to use a low sudsing sanitizer) then run each rack for 5 minutes. The whole process takes about a half hour and much of the time I can putter around doing other things. It may not be cheap, but it's waayyy better than washing each bottle individually!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 08:11:51 pm »
A couple of years ago I changed my bottle cleaning method. Now, I quick rinse immediately after pouring and let stand full of water. When finished drinking, I pour out the water and fill them with a bleach solution - 3/4 tsp bleach per quart of water, increasing the concentration as the jug of bleach ages. When 6 months old, it is half strength. These sit overnight. In the morning I rinse the outside manually with hot water, and use a jet washer for 15 seconds on each with hot water for the inside. I like that better than any other method I've tried.

why the bleach solution? did you find issues without it?

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 09:42:19 am »
A couple of years ago I changed my bottle cleaning method. Now, I quick rinse immediately after pouring and let stand full of water. When finished drinking, I pour out the water and fill them with a bleach solution - 3/4 tsp bleach per quart of water, increasing the concentration as the jug of bleach ages. When 6 months old, it is half strength. These sit overnight. In the morning I rinse the outside manually with hot water, and use a jet washer for 15 seconds on each with hot water for the inside. I like that better than any other method I've tried.

The bottles didn't get clean enough with just hot water or with an oxi clean soak, even using a bottle brush. (See Reply #17.) I looked back at my CJHB by Papazian and found that he stated that a bleach solution of 2 oz bleach in 5 gallons of cold water removes most hardened fermentation residue with an overnight soak. This has worked flawlessly.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2021, 11:15:04 am »

The bottles didn't get clean enough with just hot water or with an oxi clean soak, even using a bottle brush. (See Reply #17.) I looked back at my CJHB by Papazian and found that he stated that a bleach solution of 2 oz bleach in 5 gallons of cold water removes most hardened fermentation residue with an overnight soak. This has worked flawlessly.

I remember that. Pretty sure I did that too back in the day. Still no difference in my bottles after a good hot rinse thankfully. I just started bottle conditioning again and I enjoy it but if there was scrubbing involved I'd be out!  ;) The bleach isn't a terrible alternative but so much rinsing involved to get it off. I just soaked my humming bird feeder in a gallon of water with about 2 tsp bleach and it took a really long rinse to get it all off.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2021, 01:20:04 pm »

i have a few little spots of organic stuff that i have tried hard to remove and they just wont come off.

i have not had any infections though. for me, if it aint broke i wont fix it with bleach. yet. more worried about that because i notice and hate the smell of bleach intensely (more than other people i believe).