Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are Australian amateur brewers actually attempting to take credit for SNS?  (Read 2229 times)

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Are Australian amateur brewers actually attempting to take credit for SNS?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 06:58:19 am »
If chino_brews is an influencer maybe someone who knows him from this forum can reach out and explain that Mark V is the originator of the SNS method.

PS. There is nothing wrong with wanting some credit for your contributions to the advancement of the hobby. Thanks, Mark!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:58:59 am by tommymorris »

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
It is not about not receiving credit.  It is more the implication that I lifted someone else's work.  I did not invent shaken starters.  I invented a specific shaken starter process.

The implication is one thing that can harmless but it also can be huge, not gonna enter in this discussion of what can happen or what can't happen and how misinformation could be a disaster for new homebrewers, it was you that start this idea and this is important, not only because you just did that and work but there a sciencie behind that you explain, I wish I found a 1 gallon glass container for doing more SNS, bottle or container with more than 1 gallon it not common in my country, but I learn that I can buy a gallon of water give a good clean do the SNS then discart the container

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
The one area where I clearly fell flat when describing the method is that the fermentation vessel needs to be at least four times the volume of the starter medium and bottle-shaped, not conical like an Erlenmeyer flask.   I see people using 2L Erlenmeyer flasks with 1L of starter wort and calling it an SNS starter.  That setup may work, but not as well as a true SNS starter.  The extra volume is part of the secret sauce.   It is difficult to turn wort into foam when a container is not significantly larger than the starter wort.

ok, i understand it a bit better with that regard. high foam agitation. and yes, fair enough to try to defend your name if someone is implying you stole it.

reading the aussie homebrew forums can be brutal though, poor guys, if i had those year round temps i don't know if i'd have gotten into brewing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I don't know if any of you (or chino) have been to Australia, but Drew and I found that virtually no one there had ever heard of SNS except maybe through the podcast.  I'd love to hear the basis of chino's claim.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
Most people still use stir plates here. It does work. I got back into brewing after a few years off around 2019. I got rid of a really good stir plate, but they weren’t available anymore, so I bought a cheap kegland one. It works ok but it is noisy as hell, so I just used the flask with the “swirl when you walk past method” which works quite well. Like most things in brewing, there’s more than one way to do it
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
The Aussies also claim they invented putting your mash grains in a bag, and allowing your wort to cool down without any assistance!  :D

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
I wish I had found this forum sooner than I did.   Early in my brewing days I bought a stir plate thinking that was the way starters were done.  After it crapped out on me it sat on a shelf for 2 years waiting for me to try and fix it as I was too cheap to fork out for a new one.  In the meantime I thought I could replicate the process by placing my starter on my desk and shake it every time I walked by.  Soon after joining this forum I found out that I had stumbled upon SNS purely by accident and promptly trashed my stir plate.  Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience on this and many other subjects!

That's not really the Shaken Not Stirred method. With SNS you shake vigorously once at the beginning and that's all.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
I wish I had found this forum sooner than I did.   Early in my brewing days I bought a stir plate thinking that was the way starters were done.  After it crapped out on me it sat on a shelf for 2 years waiting for me to try and fix it as I was too cheap to fork out for a new one.  In the meantime I thought I could replicate the process by placing my starter on my desk and shake it every time I walked by.  Soon after joining this forum I found out that I had stumbled upon SNS purely by accident and promptly trashed my stir plate.  Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience on this and many other subjects!

That's not really the Shaken Not Stirred method. With SNS you shake vigorously once at the beginning and that's all.
So it's really the SONS method. Maybe the Australians invented the shaken occasionally method? Oh hang on. Houston, we have a problem.