Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Beer on Bud  (Read 1646 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
A Beer on Bud
« on: May 14, 2021, 11:22:26 am »
I'm not sure if it's still ongoing, but AB had a "Have a Beer on Bud" promotion where they would send you a $5 debit card if you provided them with proof that you got your Covid vaccine. This is a very cool gesture on their part.

I just spent my $5 at MoreBeer  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: A Beer on Bud
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 11:28:19 am »
Sam Adams is/was doing something similar via IG & Twitter. $7 via Venmo or something.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 11:31:11 am »
I saw a commercial the other day and on the screen it just said "Welcome back.  First beer is on us.... if you're vaccinated".  But I didn't see anything about a debit card so I didn't understand what they were talking about.  Seems like a cool thing, I guess.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 01:22:15 pm »
Not passing judgement here but why would anyone get the vaccine by bribe? Ohio is having multiple $1,000,000 lotteries every Weds until blah blah bla.
I had C19 and I am waiting until next year for the vaxx and even then, probably not going to take it. AB can keep their $5 and Ohio can too!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 01:25:16 pm »
Not passing judgement here but why would anyone get the vaccine by bribe? Ohio is having multiple $1,000,000 lotteries every Weds until blah blah bla.
I had C19 and I am waiting until next year for the vaxx and even then, probably not going to take it. AB can keep their $5 and Ohio can too!
I think they're just trying to convince the people on the fence to get it because if we don't reach a certain point, there could be consequences regarding herd immunity, etc.  I assume there are some who are all too eager to get it and others who refuse... these things you're talking about are for those in between. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 01:41:53 pm »
I think they're just trying to convince the people on the fence to get it because if we don't reach a certain point, there could be consequences regarding herd immunity, etc.  I assume there are some who are all too eager to get it and others who refuse... these things you're talking about are for those in between.

So, consider this. I had the C19 and it was akin to a seasonal head cold. Fairly mild and lasted about 3-4 days save for the loss of taste and smell for 3 weeks. I now have natural immunity from it. During my annual wellness visit with my PCP he asked if I was going to take the vaxx. I stated that I wanted to wait for a year and see how these vaccines play out, both in efficacy and safety. He agreed and said that is reasonable. Again, I'm not criticizing anyone who got the vaxx, most of my friends and family have theirs and it didn't take a bribe from corporate america or state government to get theirs.

If I'm selling my soul, it's going to be for far more than a beer or a million tax payer dollars. Which leads me to the fact that because I haven't had the vaxx I am left out of any chance to win the money. Seems akin to taxation without representation or discrimination at the very least.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 02:31:57 pm »
It’s not a bribe. It’s an incentive! There is a difference. I see no reason to not incentivize people to get the shot. The more people protected the better.
No problem with your reasons for not though. You do you.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 07:54:36 pm »
$5------------ really? Guessing that's the going price to be WOKE.  What happened to people who make their own decisions and take responsibility for them? 
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 08:07:11 pm »
There have been some questions about whether a vaxxed person can "carry" the bug (even if they don't have any symptoms from it) and pass it onto someone who has not been vaxxed.  If you have had C19 in the past and you have natural immunity, is it possible for you to be exposed to it, carry it and pass it onto someone who has not been vaxxed?  I don't know if these questions have solid answers yet and until they do I would err on the side of caution and just be careful, generally.  If someone had C19 and chose not to be vaxxed I would consider that reasonable because they have anti-bodies.  But then there is the question about how long the anti-bodies last.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 08:08:13 pm »
$5------------ really? Guessing that's the going price to be WOKE.  What happened to people who make their own decisions and take responsibility for them?
It's just a marketing thing.  People can still make their own decisions and take responsibility for them.  And I don't think there is any "woke" component here. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 05:45:21 am »
It's just a marketing thing.  People can still make their own decisions and take responsibility for them.  And I don't think there is any "woke" component here.
Yea, I don’t think anyone is under an illusion that people are getting the vaccine because of $5 or a small chance at winning a lottery. All of these things put together though could contribute to a general sense that if you get vaccinated you can get back to normal life and have a good time and more people getting vaccinated is good for everyone, including those who choose not too get vaccinated. As far as the marketing angle nothing has changed, it’s exactly the same as all the “ support the troops” corporate messaging after 9/11. Companies want to foster a general sense of them being a good company.
BTW the comment about the Ohio lottery being taxation without representation and discrimination is silly. Every individual can choose for themselves to get vaccinated or not and the chance of winning is so small it’s not like your not getting money because you didn’t get vaccinated, and again, those who are not getting vaccinated are benefitting like those who don’t join the armed services are benefiting from those who do. Obviously not the same level of sacrifice but the idea that the government and companies are right to incentivize behavior beneficial for all still holds. As far as taxation without representation goes, I am pretty sure tho governor of Ohio was elected and this money is probably from the federal covid aid, also passed by elected officials.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 06:14:17 am »
Many people are avoiding the vaccination because they’re simply afraid of needles or don’t want to take the time.  So, there are incentives to help them through.

Regarding the effects of COVID, some folks get through it with nothing more than a “simple head cold” - such as my brother.  Others, are down for weeks and months - like my sister in-law.  Some have scarred lungs that will never heal - like a friends mother in-law.  And, 580k + have died from this disease - like my 35 year old nephew.  So, yea, everyone has a choice to get the vaccine, or not.  The incentives are merely a way of getting the “undecided” to join the team.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

A Beer on Bud
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 06:22:30 am »
I can understand the trepidation people have for not wanting mRNA (Pfizer and Maderna) into their system. It’s fairly new and side effects are still being discovered. Johnson and Johnson has caused blood clots in some recipients. There’s good reason for a wait and see approach.

Each person has the right to make their own decision and be respected for it.

Edit: I personally don’t need anyone influencing me to make any decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:57:12 am by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 06:55:11 am »

Without getting into politics, I don’t believe it’s the government’s mission to influence the decision of the citizens. It should be the other way around: citizens should influence government.

In a representative government the government is influenced by elections as well as pressure of public sentiment. In the case of covid elected officials have mostly gotten the message that they need to do something about covid and that very definitely includes influencing people to get vaccinated most notably by obtaining millions of doses and distributing them for free, but also other means of incentive. It’s important to note here that no state of federal government here has forced its citizens to get vaccinated.
BTW good government is supposed to influence citizens, it’s part of what they are elected to do. The laws against murder, for instance, influence people not to murder. I think that’s good.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 07:00:57 am »
I edited my comment. We have a different point of view. Cheers!