Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Glogg  (Read 237 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Glogg
« on: December 19, 2023, 12:17:46 pm »
I'm in a festive mood, so I thought I'd share my Swedish grandmother's recipe for Glogg.

1 orange studded with cloves (space cloves about a centimeter apart)
2 sticks of cinnamon
cup of slivered blanched almonds
8-12 cardamom pods
cup of raisins
cup of sugar

1-2 large bottles of ruby port, such as Christian Brothers
pint of Everclear or vodka

In a large pot, boil a quart of water with the sugar, orange, and spices for 20-30 minutes. Turn the heat down to low, then add the port. Warm it to barely below simmer. Serve.

The alcohol in the port volatilizes over time, so periodically give it a splash of Everclear or vodka to keep the alcohol content up.

I had a guest at our holiday smorgasbord last year that this was probably the most delicious drink she's ever had. 

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Glogg
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 01:33:46 pm »
Thanks chumley, that does sound good.  We might have to try that this year.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Glogg
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 03:40:02 pm »
I'm in a festive mood, so I thought I'd share my Swedish grandmother's recipe for Glogg.

1 orange studded with cloves (space cloves about a centimeter apart)
2 sticks of cinnamon
cup of slivered blanched almonds
8-12 cardamom pods
cup of raisins
cup of sugar

1-2 large bottles of ruby port, such as Christian Brothers
pint of Everclear or vodka

In a large pot, boil a quart of water with the sugar, orange, and spices for 20-30 minutes. Turn the heat down to low, then add the port. Warm it to barely below simmer. Serve.

The alcohol in the port volatilizes over time, so periodically give it a splash of Everclear or vodka to keep the alcohol content up.

I had a guest at our holiday smorgasbord last year that this was probably the most delicious drink she's ever had.

nice, i was in denmark a bit ago and the cardamombolle intensity was kind of an eyeopener. i was familiar with cardamom, but these were like if you took a cinnamon bun with a ton of cinnamon flavour in it and just turned used cardamom instead. over the top, but after several i was really enjoying them.

the port and almonds give this recipe a good differentiation from most generic christmassy mulled stuff recipes.