Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Carb Beer  (Read 5565 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Low Carb Beer
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 11:12:39 am »
While I certainly appreciate your thoughts, many I agree with, the “low salt, low sugar, low starch, low stress, low scotch” diet was recommended by the attending physician in the hospital. Just to be sure, we ran it thru a second opinion from my wife’s internist who agreed with it. So, I think I’m gonna go with them on this one. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:16 am »
This is getting Facebookish.  I'd rather not lock it.  Let peoplem eat what they wnt to eat, and you (everyone else) do the same.  If there is hard science, present it without judgement.  If you have an opinion, either keep it to yourself or make clear that it's an opinion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 11:46:55 am »
My opinion is we need to meet positive changes in our diet where we are at and trying to be perfectly scientific isn't sustainable for some people. It sounds like what Brewbama and his wife are doing are positive steps recomended by a doctor but more importantly IMO are things that they can do indefinitly while enjoying themselves. I, for instance, know I am not going to give up beer, bread, and pasta forever so I do some of the subs similar to what BB mentioned with tortillas and bread and drink lighter, lower carb beer 75% of the time and less beer/alcohol overall. My wife and I both enjoy gardening and vegetables so one strategy we use is to really eat lots of nutrient dense vegetables and smaller portions of carbs and saturated fats. Regular bread or pasta is a once or twice a week thing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:48:29 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 11:53:13 am »
My opinion is we need to meet positive changes in our diet where we are at and trying to be perfectly scientific isn't sustainable for some people. It sounds like what Brewbama and his wife are doing are positive steps recomended by a doctor but more importantly IMO are things that they can do indefinitly while enjoying themselves. I, for instance, know I am not going to give up beer, bread, and pasta forever so I do some of the subs similar to what BB mentioned with tortillas and bread and drink lighter, lower carb beer 75% of the time and less beer/alcohol overall. My wife and I both enjoy gardening and vegetables so one strategy we use is to really eat lots of nutrient dense vegetables and smaller portions of carbs and saturated fats. Regular bread or pasta is a once or twice a week thing.

this carbs stuff is not really an issue. malnourished people desire more and more carbohydrate rich foods because they satiate "hunger", yet they do not fulfill the bodies nutrition needs. eating whole vegetables and a variety of them is the key. its basically that, and not eating sugar-products.

Offline BrewBama

Low Carb Beer
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 12:00:04 pm »
... carbohydrate rich foods ... satiate "hunger", yet they do not fulfill the bodies nutrition needs. eating whole vegetables and a variety of them is the key. its basically that, and not eating sugar-products.

Add protein to that statement and that’s pretty much what the Dr ordered ...and what we’re trying to do. (I didn’t list the salads and steamed/roasted veggies that go with many of our meals)

The Hungarian Goulash was excellent!

Anyway, it’s a work in progress.

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 01:09:40 pm »
... carbohydrate rich foods ... satiate "hunger", yet they do not fulfill the bodies nutrition needs. eating whole vegetables and a variety of them is the key. its basically that, and not eating sugar-products.

Add protein to that statement and that’s pretty much what the Dr ordered ...and what we’re trying to do. (I didn’t list the salads and steamed/roasted veggies that go with many of our meals)

The Hungarian Goulash was excellent!

Anyway, it’s a work in progress.

wish you the best. i was looking at my mum who is in her late 60s now and she has improved her health a lot over the past few years, eliminating one semi-chronic issue. good luck

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 01:10:24 pm »

this carbs stuff is not really an issue. malnourished people desire more and more carbohydrate rich foods because they satiate "hunger", yet they do not fulfill the bodies nutrition needs. eating whole vegetables and a variety of them is the key. its basically that, and not eating sugar-products.
When I think of carbs to be avoided I am thinking of sugars in that breads made with processed flour, pasta, white rice, etc are very similar to sugar. I don't eat dessert, processed food, or drink sweetened drinks except rarely but do over indulge when I am not trying  on bread and such so those are the ones I reduce for my own health and to feel better. I eat a plant based (but not vegetarian or vegan) diet with lots of veg, much of it straight from the garden, raw, cooked, and fermented. 
I think one easy thing anyone who cares can do is avoid sugar from places it has no business being: salad dressings, sauces, drinks et.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 10:46:22 am »
Great thread, folks.  My wife recently found her jeans to be a bit too tight for her liking, so we are back on the South Beach diet, which I love.  I can eat veggies until full and have a bit of protein mixed in.  Not swearing off the carbs (beer is the bulk of those - trying to limit consumption during the week and I'm brewing low ABV/lower calorie brews), but avoiding excessive carbs between meals.  I don't drink soda and haven't for years; I drink water like a camel heading out for a desert trek and have iced tea daily.  I eat vegetables by the bowlful (nearly raw - just steamed usually).

Last time we went on South Beach, perhaps 2 years ago, I lost 20 pounds in a month and since then gained back around 5 lbs.  So, if I can lose about 10 this time, I will consider it a victory.  There is significant food prep time under this approach, but I always feel that the cravings stay away better under this "diet".  I workout 5 days a week and have for years, but my weight has fluctuated more lately as I have entered my senior years.

Cheers to everyone seeking to improve your health through better eating choices.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2021, 07:20:29 am »
I am on the "don't be such a pig" diet
I’m thinking this is the key to all this. One piece of pizza just wont do the trick; two, three, four or five pieces along with a couple high gravity beers seem about right.  Pretty soon I’m a bazillion calories into it. ...for one meal!

I am thinking one slice, maybe two, once in a while with a decently brewed flavorful, yet sessionable, beer to wash it down can fit into the occasional trip to the brewery given the discipline of “don’t be such a pig”.

One of my favorite local breweries  — Yellowhammer — has a Beach Body IPA that comes in at 3.1% ABV that might pair nicely with a slice (or two) from the adjoining Earth and Stone pizzeria.  The grandkids love to go there because they can romp around, throw the football/frisbee, etc. with all the other kids in the green space while Mom, Dad, Nana and PawPaw listen to the live music. That’s not a diet, that’s living.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2021, 08:32:20 am »
I am on the "don't be such a pig" diet
I’m thinking this is the key to all this. One piece of pizza just wont do the trick; two, three, four or five pieces along with a couple high gravity beers seem about right.  Pretty soon I’m a bazillion calories into it. ...for one meal!

I am thinking one slice, maybe two, once in a while with a decently brewed flavorful, yet sessionable, beer to wash it down can fit into the occasional trip to the brewery given the discipline of “don’t be such a pig”.

One of my favorite local breweries  — Yellowhammer — has a Beach Body IPA that comes in at 3.1% ABV that might pair nicely with a slice (or two) from the adjoining Earth and Stone pizzeria.  The grandkids love to go there because they can romp around, throw the football/frisbee, etc. with all the other kids in the green space while Mom, Dad, Nana and PawPaw listen to the live music. That’s not a diet, that’s living.

I take my cue from Julia Child, whose philosophy was eat whatever you want but in moderation.  That and daily exercise works for me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 03:37:54 pm »
Just an update...

Simply not eating sugar, pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc. and trying to keep below 50 carbs per day which includes the occasional beer (I had two at the BBQ yesterday), I’ve lost an inch around my waist. A modest achievement I know, but it’s a telltale sign that something is working (even if it’s water).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 03:51:19 pm »
Just an update...

Simply not eating sugar, pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc. and trying to keep below 50 carbs per day which includes the occasional beer (I had two at the BBQ yesterday), I’ve lost an inch around my waist. A modest achievement I know, but it’s a telltale sign that something is working (even if it’s water).

Good on ya!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2021, 04:46:43 pm »
Nice! Don’t buy new pants yet. One inch is manageable with a belt. Wait for two ;)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2021, 04:48:50 pm »
Nice! Don’t buy new pants yet. One inch is manageable with a belt. Wait for two ;)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 05:17:53 am »
That’s great, I am making progress as well and feeling good. And have two light beers in fermenters.