Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Handheld pH meters recommendations  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
Handheld pH meters recommendations
« on: May 16, 2021, 06:27:49 pm »
Hey all, lookin to retire my Milwaukee ph meter for one of those cool pH pens, anyone have good suggestions for one?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Handheld pH meters recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 07:09:51 pm »
I highly recommend the Omega line of meters.  The one I use is HERE.  I think it was $109 when I bought it and it seems more expensive now.  I had a handheld Milwaukee unit that was horrible.  Terrible.  It did not work properly right out of the box.  It was $49 or something so I upgraded to the Omega.  I know a number of homebrewers who like this one but I also know that many homebrewers are happy with other models from other manufacturers and I'm sure they'll be along shortly.  ;)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:10:07 pm »
I highly recommend the Omega line of meters.  The one I use is HERE.  I think it was $109 when I bought it and it seems more expensive now.  I had a handheld Milwaukee unit that was horrible.  Terrible.  It did not work properly right out of the box.  It was $49 or something so I upgraded to the Omega.  I know a number of homebrewers who like this one but I also know that many homebrewers are happy with other models from other manufacturers and I'm sure they'll be along shortly.  ;)

Oooh that looks nice, I know what ima ask for Father’s Day  ;D

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 08:26:46 pm »

Oooh that looks nice, I know what ima ask for Father’s Day  ;D
Treat it nicely and use it as directed and it will pay you back.  It's a great brewing instrument. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 09:53:06 pm »
I have been using that same model for several years, and it works great. I first bought a $12 unit for testing aquarium water, but it was very unstable and unrepeatable. This unit is solid.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 10:18:44 am »
Here's another option:

https://www.amazon.com/Extech-PH110-Waterproof-ExStik-Meter/dp/B004WN9QUG/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=extech+ph+meter&qid=1621268209&sr=8-6

The refillable electrode is a nice feature.  I've had it for a little over 4 years at this point.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 10:50:21 am »
I have heard Extech makes very good stuff.  How does 'refillable electrode' part differ from a standard handheld meter?  I have to have my electrode sitting in storage solution at all times (the cap is filled with storage solution and the cap screws onto the electrode) so just curious how this is different.  I think Extech makes "dissolved O2" meters as well. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 11:48:20 am »
When the reference solution inside the probe is depleted, you need to replace the probe.  With a refillable probe, you can add more reference solution when it's running low which extends its lifespan.

You still need to store the probe in the proper storage solution.  There is a small reservoir in the screw cap and a round piece of sponge.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 11:54:43 am »
I currently own this one

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI311-Replaceable-2-00-16-00/dp/B01ENFOIQE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2EJEKX99XG2YK&dchild=1&keywords=apera+ph+meter&qid=1621273909&sprefix=Apera+pH+meter%2Caps%2C501&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2WFdZV0pMMFFZSUkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNTkzNTQyQlgyVUNFQjlLS01TJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMjU2NDUxM1A5SFE5RkRLUkVUJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It has a few really nice features. The probe has the best protector out of any of the ones I have used. It came in a nice carry case with small vials for storing pH calibration solutions -- and it came with all the necessary calibration and storage solutions. It is extremely easy to calibrate.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:06:09 pm »
You guys are gonna make me spend $
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 12:51:50 pm »
It's part of our hobby, brother.  I definitely have some things I should not have purchased.  But they keep coming out with new toys!!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 01:30:44 pm »
It's part of our hobby, brother.  I definitely have some things I should not have purchased.  But they keep coming out with new toys!!  :D

I just picked up a digital refractometer.  After using it a few minutes ago, it was like "what have I done".  Remembering why I stopped using refractometers
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 03:10:28 pm »
I really like my Apera PH60 pH meter.

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 02:04:20 pm »
Maybe a dumb question but can you calibrate ph meters with any buffer solution? Like Milwaukee doesn’t have to be used with Milwaukee?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 02:11:54 pm »
I use Atlantis Scientific brand with a Milwaukee pH meter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk