Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Shortage  (Read 1631 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
CO2 Shortage
« on: May 19, 2021, 10:51:31 am »
I was just at Airgas, and there was a sign up about a country wide CO2 shortage.  The guy said I was lucky to have come in when I did as they only just got a shipment of 10 lb. tanks after several weeks of not having any.  Apparently production has been down due to COVID.  I had not heard of this, but I only started brewing again after a 1.5 year hiatus so maybe this is common knowledge.   

Fortunately, a tank lasts me about 5 months.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: CO2 Shortage
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:11 am »
I hadn’t heard about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:10:12 am »
I was just at Airgas, and there was a sign up about a country wide CO2 shortage.  The guy said I was lucky to have come in when I did as they only just got a shipment of 10 lb. tanks after several weeks of not having any.  Apparently production has been down due to COVID.  I had not heard of this, but I only started brewing again after a 1.5 year hiatus so maybe this is common knowledge.   

When COVID first hit, there were supposedly CO2 shortages everywherem but when I checked itmwas readily available here and many other places although obviously there was a problem in some places.  Vvutrently its readily available here and there is no talk of a shortage.  Do you suppose it could be regional?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 12:55:22 pm »
It's because industrial production of ethanol and other chemicals slowed down: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/beer-brewers-facing-shortages-of-co2/

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 12:56:09 pm »
First time hearing this. I just had a 10# tank refilled. N.E. Ohio. I’ll ask the owner of a local brewery if he has heard anything

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 02:51:33 pm »
It's because industrial production of ethanol and other chemicals slowed down: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/beer-brewers-facing-shortages-of-co2/

That's from nearly a year ago.  Things are different now, at least in many places.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 04:42:58 pm »
First time hearing this. I just had a 10# tank refilled. N.E. Ohio. I’ll ask the owner of a local brewery if he has heard anything

According to my friend who owns one of the local breweries, he said there hasn't been any supply issues for them at all. Pre and post covid shutdown/re-opening. They use NuCO2 for their bev gas.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 07:58:09 pm »

That's from nearly a year ago.  Things are different now, at least in many places.

If there's any talk about a shortage, this is where it is/was coming from, which was my point

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 09:57:19 pm »
The brewery that I work for was warned of the great CO2 shortage last year. And yet we never experienced any delays or shortages, and I'm responsible for ordering all brewery supplies and ingredients. All my friends that work at breweries have had the same experience.
Who knows?

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 09:14:52 am »
Airgas sent me a notice early on in the pandemic, then again, in the last couple weeks warning of an impending shortage, so the initial expected shortage may have been avoided due to so many shut downs of users during the height of the pandemic.  Now as businesses open back up to more closely full operations, there may be a shortage from filling that demand. 

I guess my spunding at the end of primary fermentation will pay off!  Cheers to a plentiful supply, though.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 10:12:00 am »
Great, now I'm feeling guilty about the beer I just overcarbed and had to bleed off some CO2 from. Think of all the poor children with no CO2 of their own...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 06:55:36 pm »
This is so weird. This post could've been from a year ago. In my area there was a CO2 shortage a year ago due to bars and everything closing because CO2 production had all but came to a screeching halt. But now I think it's back up and running full speed ahead.
Jesse

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 06:15:39 pm »
I just swapped my 20 pound without issue in Seattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 02:34:24 am »
When I saw the title of this thread I nearly had a panic attack!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 02:40:24 pm »

When COVID first hit, there were supposedly CO2 shortages everywherem but when I checked itmwas readily available here and many other places although obviously there was a problem in some places.  Vvutrently its readily available here and there is no talk of a shortage.  Do you suppose it could be regional?

same as you, if it wasnt for the news telling me there was a shortage, I would have never known.