Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanksgiving recipes -- let's see 'em!  (Read 9262 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: Thanksgiving recipes -- let's see 'em!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 01:56:15 pm »
eggplant slices, tomatoes and mozzarella

2 or 3 medium round eggplants
flour for dredging
4 round tomatoes, sliced
2 anchovy fillets, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
sliced mozzarella
1/2 cup basil, chopped
vegetable oil
olive oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

slice eggplants. dredge eggplant slices in flour and fry in plenty of vegetable oil. do not allow to get too crisp. remove eggplant slices from oil and place on paper towel to drain.

oil a baking dish and place in 1 slice of eggplant at a time. on each slice of eggplant place a slice of tomato and a thin slice of mozzarella. place the next slice of eggplant halfway over the previous slice and continue until the bottom of the dish is covered. the eggplant should be so staggered that half of the previous slice is exposed. bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

in a saucepan heat 1/2 cup olive oil. add finely chopped anchovies, garlic, basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. stir well to dissolve anchovies. remove from heat.

remove eggplant slices frmo the oven and immediately pour on sauce. allow to cool slightly. eggplant may also be served cold.

(from the region of Campania)
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 01:56:38 pm »
tortellini

various combinations of meats are used for tortellini filling depending on region and personal taste. in bologna, known for its tortellini, the filling usually consists of turkey bread (or capon), pork, prosciutto and parmesan

3 tablespoons butter
1/4 pound pork loin
1/4 pound turkey breast
1/4 pound mortadella
1/4 pound prosciutto
1 bay leaf
1/2 to 3/4 cup grated parmesan
pinch of nutmeg
1 egg
salt and pepper

cut pork and turkey into small pieces and cook in butter with bay leaf. remove bay leaf and allow to cool.

in a food processor combine the pork, turkey, drippings from cooking pan, mortadella and prosciutto. grind, but do not puree. mix meats with cheese, nutmeg, egg, salt and pepper. cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

use dough cut in rounds, 1 3/4 to 2 inches.

place a teaspoon of filling on each round. moisten the edges of the round with egg or water. fold the round, forming a crescent, enclosing the filling. seal the edges by pressing with your fingers or the prongs of a fork. then bring the two ends of the crescent together, overlapping them and twisting one end over the other. seal the ends. the sealed edges should be curved up in the shape of a little hat. tortellini are sometimes called capppelletti, little hats.

spread the finished tortellini on a cloth. turn after about 30 minutes so the tortellini can dry on both sides.

for the dough.....

3 cups flour
4 eggs
salt to taste
2 tablespoons water

put the flour in a bowl or on the countertop. make a well in the flour. break eggs into the well and add salt. beat the eggs with a fork and gradually pull in and mix the flour and egg with your hands.

work the dough, adding a few drops of water if the dough is too dry. if the dough is too moist, add a little flour. knead the dough in a rolling motion, pushing it away from you wht the heels of your hands. knead until the dough is smooth. the dough should remain soft but not sticky. when the kneading is complete, break the dough into 6 or 8 pieces, roll into balls, then flatten the balls somewhat, and oil them slightly to prevent drying. put the balls in separate plastic bags. wrap the dough in a cloth and allow it to rest for 1 hour.

AHA# 196703

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 02:53:35 pm »
Maybe we could stick to just 2 or 3 of our favorites?  ;)
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 02:58:22 pm »
Maybe we could stick to just 2 or 3 of our favorites?  ;)

sorry if i got carried away.   didn't realize we had a two or three post limit per thread....

:P :-* :-[ ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:00:14 pm by deepsouth »

AHA# 196703

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 05:38:38 pm »
Here is an image from last years Smoked turkey pork and chicken.

MAn that was awesome. The Turkey and Pork were cured in a mixture of salt with 5% sodium nitrite mixed with brown sugar, maple syrup and herbs and spices for a week before I cold smoked them. They cold smoked for about 48 hours then I roasted them for about an hour just before serving. Fantastic!!!

This year it is at my sisters house so all I am doing is a bunch of pies.

Gonna make apple dumplings.

That one is simple. Just put a cored granny smith apple with a little cinnamon and sugar and a pat of butter on it, wrapped in your best homemade pie crust and bake till golden brown.

Im gonna bring a few custard pies too.

A pumpkin custard pie, a plantain custard pie, and a corn custard pie.

Ill post some pictures and recipes soon. Im still tweaking the recipes a little.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 06:15:43 pm »
Wow, cold smoked and then roasted? Awesome!  I'm definitely intrigued by the plantain custard pie. Please post a recipe!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 07:13:03 pm »
[
sorry if i got carried away.   didn't realize we had a two or three post limit per thread....

:P :-* :-[ ;D

Just start a bunch of new threads, Thanksgiving recipes PT1, PT2, PT3. We need more threads anyway.
I think I've read all of em.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 07:30:01 pm »
With Thanksgiving coming up next week, I thought it would be appropriate to start a Thanksgiving recipe thread.  From the traditional to the exotic, share your best recipes!

We usually make two birds at our house.  One is a very traditional, oven-roasted turkey with gravy made from pan drippings.  The other is totally experimental.  This year, it's going to be a mezcal and lime brined, adobo-rubbed smoked turkey, with smokey adobo gravy made from the pan drippings.

Here are the brine and rub recipes (note: these recipes are for a smaller, bourbon red turkey):

Brine
1/2 cup mezcal
1/4 cup lime juice (about two limes)
1 cup warm water
2/3 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup honey
1 serrano chile, split in half

In a large bowl, whisk the mezcal, lime juice, water, salt, and honey until the salt and honey are dissolved.  Add the serrano.

Place turkey in a one-gallon ziplock bag and add the brine.  Set the bag in the sink and fill with cold water, within 1 inch of the zipper (8 to 10 cups of water, depending on the water displacement from the volume of the chicken).  Press the air out of the bag and seal.  Place the bag in a large bowl or on a rimmed baking sheet to catch drips.  Allow the turkey to brine for 6 to 12 hours in the refrigerator, turning the bag once or twice to redistribute the brine.

About an hour before you plan to start cooking, remove the turkey from the brine. Rinse the bird under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. This removes sugar from the skin and prevent burning during cooking.

Tuck the wings under the body to keep them out of the way during cooking. For a neat appearance, pin the neck skin down to the back using toothpicks or skewers, and tie the legs together using kitchen twine.

Apply a light coat of canola oil or other vegetable oil to the turkey, then sprinkle with the adobo rub.

Adobo Rub
4 dried guajillo chiles (2 oz), stemmed and seeded
3 dried ancho chiles (1 1/2 oz), stemmed and seeded
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 (1/2-inch) piece cinnamon stick, smashed
2 whole allspice
1 clove
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves

Toast chiles until they release their fragrance, being careful not to burn them.  Set aside.

Toast the cumin seekd, cinnamon stick, allspice, and clove over medium-high heat, until they become fragrant.  Be careful not to burn them.  Set aside and let cool.  When the spices have cooled, grind them in a spice grinder along with the toasted chiles, and transfer to a small bowl.  Add the remaining rub ingredients to the bowl and mix well.

Holy jebus man! This sound so good... Likewise, we usually do up a traditional in the oven. But also, I will be smoking up a turkey as well this year. I usually do up butts, hams, whatever, with ABT's, fatties for breakfast. Your recipe looks fantastic though!

I'll have to do some thinking now before I post anything more!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 06:53:22 am »
This year I'm planning to smoke one and fry one. I've never fried a Turkey before...it sounds good. I'll probably make some pies too. I can't believe it's a week away already.  :o

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Great food...great beer...and the family.  8)
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 07:41:05 am »
Holy jebus man! This sound so good... Likewise, we usually do up a traditional in the oven. But also, I will be smoking up a turkey as well this year. I usually do up butts, hams, whatever, with ABT's, fatties for breakfast. Your recipe looks fantastic though!

Thanks, lonnie!  I hope I can execute my recipe well with all the other culinary tasks I have to tackle that day.

What are ABTs and fatties?  I suspect fatties are some sort of sausage?
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 08:03:49 am »

Thanks, lonnie!  I hope I can execute my recipe well with all the other culinary tasks I have to tackle that day.

What are ABTs and fatties?  I suspect fatties are some sort of sausage?

i posted an abt recipe in the bbq thread.

AHA# 196703

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 08:52:24 am »
i posted an abt recipe in the bbq thread.

Ah, right.  I remember that now. 
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 06:48:04 pm »
With the custard pies my brain has been reeling since a few months ago when I was working in West Philadelphia;phia. Before I was wotking there I had made many pumpkin custard pies, many sweet potato pies. I recently started making regular potato custard pies and I also made an avocado custard pie. It was great.

Well anyways, I was working in West Philly and there was this kid dressed up in the Nation of Islam suit and bow tie on the corner selling bean pies. I had to get one. It was fan freaking-tastic. Much like a pumpkin pie but more rich.

Once I realized that you can make a custard pie with beans I realized you can make a custard pie with just about anything.

I came home an made one with dal, you know those tiny orange lentils common in Indian cooking. It worked great.

So I made a corn custard pie that was also truly fantastic. It is sort of like an Indian pudding type filling.

Make a nice pie crust, and pre bake as you would per custard pies.

In the food processor put about two cups of frozen corn, a half a can of sweeten condensed milk, four large eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla, about 1/4 cup of maple syrup, (you can also use brown sugar or honey) Then blend in the food processor till smooth.

Add a pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon, salt mix a litte again and fill the crust. Bake just till a tooth pick comes out clean.

The plantain recipe is about the same only I roast ripe peeled plantians in the oven till they start to caramelize a little.

I am making one this weekend so I will post picks with the perfected recipe. I think it is going to tbe a winner.

I did this once with regular bananas and it tasted great but it turned black. Very black. Tasted good though.

We called it black banana pie.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 07:22:27 pm »
Thanks for that info.  I just added that plantain pie to my to-do list. 

Please post your pics!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 05:54:33 am »
I only deep fry turkeys anymore and will be doing two this year.

And while the grease is hot, might as well deep fry some mac&cheese to go along ;)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee