Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fairly New Brewing Direction  (Read 2923 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fairly New Brewing Direction
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 09:05:54 am »
I'm sure it's a great book.  Is there a chapter on how to clean up the vomit that I would produce if I drank a Belgian beer?  :D  I'm sorry.  I had to.  My experience with Belgians has gone from unbelievably bad to just-slightly-better-than-unbelievably-bad.  I don't like 'em.  Can't get around it.
I haven’t found many Belgian beers that I like either (except for an occasional Wit or Saison). I don’t like the phenols. I can only take them in very small doses. I always wonder if it’s me or the beers I happen to have had.

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 09:53:23 am »
I'm sure it's a great book.  Is there a chapter on how to clean up the vomit that I would produce if I drank a Belgian beer?  :D  I'm sorry.  I had to.  My experience with Belgians has gone from unbelievably bad to just-slightly-better-than-unbelievably-bad.  I don't like 'em.  Can't get around it.
I haven’t found many Belgian beers that I like either (except for an occasional Wit or Saison). I don’t like the phenols. I can only take them in very small doses. I always wonder if it’s me or the beers I happen to have had.
Yeah, it's not like I'm closed-minded about them.  I have tried many Belgians both commercial and homebrewed.  As a beer-lover, it's discouraging to curtain off a huge section of the brewing world but if I try them over and over and cannot enjoy them then I have to face it.  No Belgians.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 11:53:17 am »
Yeah, it's not like I'm closed-minded about them.  I have tried many Belgians both commercial and homebrewed.  As a beer-lover, it's discouraging to curtain off a huge section of the brewing world but if I try them over and over and cannot enjoy them then I have to face it.  No Belgians.  :P

i believe Sacch (mike?) here has explained before that he is very phenolic-sensitive or something. Might be that?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 12:02:23 pm »
Another strong endorsement for Brew Like A Monk. Excellent book. The recipes in it are killer.

I'm a huge fan of Belgian beers. My current favorite is Houblon Chouffe. That beer is a zillion times better than any hazy IPA.

The beers I don't like are anything brewed with dank hops.

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 12:04:45 pm »

i believe Sacch (mike?) here has explained before that he is very phenolic-sensitive or something. Might be that?
Maybe.  I know it's the yeast and it's not just one strain because I have tasted any number of these beers and there is something about each one that I do not care for.  As a new brewer, I also tried many batches with various Belgian strains not understanding that the yeast is what I did not care for.  As a result I made a number of undrinkable beers.  One was a Dubbel strain that tasted like bubble gum, another had a funky hay-and-barnyard thing going on that did not sit well with me.  I'm also not into BIG beers and many Belgians tend to be in that 7-8-9-10% range so that's another issue. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2021, 12:28:23 pm »
Probably phenols then. I like Islay scotch but I understand not everyone enjoys the flavor of burnt bandaids as much as I do.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 01:11:01 pm »
Another strong endorsement for Brew Like A Monk. Excellent book. The recipes in it are killer.

I'm a huge fan of Belgian beers. My current favorite is Houblon Chouffe. That beer is a zillion times better than any hazy IPA.

The beers I don't like are anything brewed with dank hops.

My wife is an IPA lover and when we were in Belgium Houblon was her go to beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2021, 01:12:31 pm »

Maybe.  I know it's the yeast and it's not just one strain because I have tasted any number of these beers and there is something about each one that I do not care for.  As a new brewer, I also tried many batches with various Belgian strains not understanding that the yeast is what I did not care for.  As a result I made a number of undrinkable beers.  One was a Dubbel strain that tasted like bubble gum, another had a funky hay-and-barnyard thing going on that did not sit well with me.  I'm also not into BIG beers and many Belgians tend to be in that 7-8-9-10% range so that's another issue.

Have you ever tried D uvel?  Very unlike most Belgian styles.  Lore has it that the yeast is a Scottish strain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2021, 01:34:39 pm »
Have you ever tried D uvel?  Very unlike most Belgian styles.  Lore has it that the yeast is a Scottish strain.
I know I did but it's been a long time.  I probably also tasted it when I had sampled other Belgians so my tastebuds may have been ravaged by that point.  Someone mentioned Leffe Blonde as a "gateway" Belgian beer.  My wife and I were at a Yardhouse Pub with 200 beers on tap so we ordered one.  Blech.  We ordered some others as well.  I would have no issue grabbing some Duvel next time I'm at the bottle shop.  If I like it... awesome!  If not, I'll throw the rest of them into the Klopek's yard.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2021, 02:56:50 pm »
I know I did but it's been a long time.  I probably also tasted it when I had sampled other Belgians so my tastebuds may have been ravaged by that point.  Someone mentioned Leffe Blonde as a "gateway" Belgian beer.  My wife and I were at a Yardhouse Pub with 200 beers on tap so we ordered one.  Blech.  We ordered some others as well.  I would have no issue grabbing some Duvel next time I'm at the bottle shop.  If I like it... awesome!  If not, I'll throw the rest of them into the Klopek's yard.  :D
Palm is not the prototypical Belgian beer, but it might be up your alley.

If phenolics are your turnoff, then Rochefort might be an option for you. Their yeast is POF- as far as I'm aware.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2021, 03:13:57 pm »

I used to be that way with blow you outta the water with IBU's IPA's!! Terrible!! Then one day I liked them. Then one day my palette said no more!! I can't taste anything else!

Sours! Sours suck and even though I ALWAYS get a splash from a newly visited brewery, just to try them, I haven't had one yet that doesn't remind me of drinking OJ right after brushing my  teeth.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 03:39:49 pm »

Or a Stella? I kid! I kid.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 03:44:09 pm »
I look at beer lovers who turn their nose up to Belgians the same way I look at people who say they don't like coffee. I don't trust 'em and I consider them people of low class and lower standards. (I kid! Well, not about the coffee part)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:56:41 pm by majorvices »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 05:24:12 pm »

If phenolics are your turnoff, then Rochefort might be an option for you. Their yeast is POF- as far as I'm aware.

yeah, i actually don't go nuts for rochefort because of its lower phenols than some others. i will happily drink it and enjoy it, but i almost don't consider it part of the strong belgians in my mind.

i think theres lots of room for lower ABV belgians btw, which i believe i'm going to try out this fall. i'm thinking some british grists but with belgian yeasts, also some higher IBU belgians.

~4.5% bitter with OYL028

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 05:58:35 pm »

yeah, i actually don't go nuts for rochefort because of its lower phenols than some others. i will happily drink it and enjoy it, but i almost don't consider it part of the strong belgians in my mind.

i think theres lots of room for lower ABV belgians btw, which i believe i'm going to try out this fall. i'm thinking some british grists but with belgian yeasts, also some higher IBU belgians.

~4.5% bitter with OYL028

I've got a Trappist single kinda like a westy blond planned for this weekend.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.