Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm prepared to take some static for this but hear me out...  (Read 5746 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: I'm prepared to take some static for this but hear me out...
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 10:13:54 am »
My dirty secret....I decided that any starter was too much hassle so I'm pitching multiple packs of yeast these days.  Great results, dead easy.

I've been doing the same (for ales anyway, where two Wyeast packs is usually plenty of yeast).  I rarely brew lagers these days, but I will make appropriately sized starters for those.

When I do make starters, I prefer to let them ferment out completely, decant the liquid, and just pitch the slurry (it works better with my schedule). 

I've tried making smaller starters and pitching the whole thing at high krausen (after reading all of Mark's posts through the years on why this is beneficial), and that also works well.  I think it's just a matter of personal preference and nothing to get too hung up about.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 10:23:08 am »
I've been doing 250g DME in ~1.5 litres water and adding a WLP yeast tube. Then pitching after 3 or 4 days. I'm not always happy with the results. Any thoughts? Should I be pitching sooner?

That's a pretty high gravity for a starter isn't it?  I think something around 1.040 is more standard, but I can't say from personal experience whether it will make a difference.

Regarding pitching sooner, the old method was to let the starter ferment out completely, and then pitch just the slurry.  The newer method is to make a smaller starter and pitch the entire thing at high krausen.  Having tried both, I think they both work well.  You may get less lag time with the high krausen method. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 10:23:18 am »
My dirty secret....I decided that any starter was too much hassle so I'm pitching multiple packs of yeast these days.  Great results, dead easy.
This is why I started using more dry yeast. Starters are just the bane of my existence.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 10:52:16 am »
I've been doing 250g DME in ~1.5 litres water and adding a WLP yeast tube. Then pitching after 3 or 4 days. I'm not always happy with the results. Any thoughts? Should I be pitching sooner?

That's a pretty high gravity for a starter isn't it?  I think something around 1.040 is more standard, but I can't say from personal experience whether it will make a difference.

Regarding pitching sooner, the old method was to let the starter ferment out completely, and then pitch just the slurry.  The newer method is to make a smaller starter and pitch the entire thing at high krausen.  Having tried both, I think they both work well.  You may get less lag time with the high krausen method. 

250g of DME is about 8 ounces, right?  And FTC used 1.5 liters?  I also do 1.5 liters but only use 5.2 ounces which I believe is right around 1.040. 

EDIT:  Looks like 1.5 liters plus 5.2 ounces is 1.035.  Fred's 8 ounces in 1.5 liters is 1.055.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:55:21 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 10:59:47 am »
I make small batches of low abv lagers and step up with doubling of batch size sequentially, in lieu of starters, quite regularly.  Then serially repitch part of the slurry going forward.  I will use multiple dry yeast packs on occasion, too and repitch slurry from those.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 11:47:14 am »
This is why I started using more dry yeast. Starters are just the bane of my existence.

I don't mind doing them much, but I'm so lazy I'll avoid it if possible.  Dry as much as possible, but I make a lot of Belgian styles and I just haven't found a good dry yeast for those.  Just made a 1.076 tripel.  Used 2 packs of WY3787 and got results with almost no effort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 11:55:18 am »
EDIT:  Looks like 1.5 liters plus 5.2 ounces is 1.035.  Fred's 8 ounces in 1.5 liters is 1.055.

250 grams of DME in 1.5 liters is closer to 1.061.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2021, 11:56:27 am »
I agree there are many ways to grow up yeast needed for a batch.

My SNS method is to make a 1L starter, pour that in a 1 gallon mayonnaise jar, put the lid on tight, shake vigorously for about 2 minutes (I get tired), then crack the lid and wait to pitch 8-12 hours later. I pitch the whole starter.

I add 100g of DME to my recipe in BeerSmith and I have set my water calculator to expect a 1L top off (the starter volume). Those additions to the recipe help me hit my numbers.
While I am no expert on southern cooking somehow it doesn't surprise me that an Alabaman gets his mayonaisse by the gallon. Keep the tater salad and cole slaw coming Tommy!

What I find easy for me is SNS starters without fretting too much about getting the timing of the krausen just right.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2021, 12:18:08 pm »

While I am no expert on southern cooking somehow it doesn't surprise me that an Alabaman gets his mayonaisse by the gallon. Keep the tater salad and cole slaw coming Tommy!

Bwahahahahaha! Yer makin' us look bad Tommy!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2021, 12:26:29 pm »

Do you aerate or oxygenate the wort when you do this?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 01:47:41 pm »

Bwahahahahaha! Yer makin' us look bad Tommy!
No, not bad, delicious!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 01:51:20 pm »

Do you aerate or oxygenate the wort when you do this?

Nope.  At least not intentionally. I assume pumping to the fermenter gives it some.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2021, 02:22:49 pm »

I don't mind doing them much, but I'm so lazy I'll avoid it if possible.  Dry as much as possible, but I make a lot of Belgian styles and I just haven't found a good dry yeast for those.  Just made a 1.076 tripel.  Used 2 packs of WY3787 and got results with almost no effort.
Likewise I am lazy when it comes to making starters. I'd rather pitch a fresh smack pack into a lower gravity wort and then harvest the yeast. Or use dry yeast and harvest. Have you tried the Lallemand Abbaye Ale? Or the Fermentis one? You don't like them? I'm looking for a more fruity less phenolic Belgian yeast.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2021, 02:49:06 pm »

Likewise I am lazy when it comes to making starters. I'd rather pitch a fresh smack pack into a lower gravity wort and then harvest the yeast. Or use dry yeast and harvest. Have you tried the Lallemand Abbaye Ale? Or the Fermentis one? You don't like them? I'm looking for a more fruity less phenolic Belgian yeast.

No I haven't because I've been so disappointed by dry Belgian yeasts in the past.  Probably should but multiple packs works so well that I don't have a lot of incentive.  Personally, I prefer more phenolic, less fruity.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2021, 02:56:59 pm »
Static! Oh I’m so angry about you getting good results from your yeast practices. 😉
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale