Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Important is a Mash Out?  (Read 13232 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
How Important is a Mash Out?
« on: May 22, 2021, 06:16:51 am »
The simple question is: How important is a mash out?

Most of my mash schedules include a mash out, but is it effective?  In order to do a mash out, I have to add additional water.  Now the water column increases which - I assume - compresses the grain bed.  So in that case, is a mash out really doing anything useful?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How Important is a Mash Out?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 06:22:00 am »
The simple question is: How important is a mash out?

Most of my mash schedules include a mash out, but is it effective?  In order to do a mash out, I have to add additional water.  Now the water column increases which - I assume - compresses the grain bed.  So in that case, is a mash out really doing anything useful?

System: 3 vessel herms. I stopped doing mash outs a while back. I think but I may be incorrect but mashing out denatures enzymes. Someone correct me if that is wrong. I figured that I can do that by taking the mash straight to the BK. Time saver for me.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
How Important is a Mash Out?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 07:00:30 am »
“On the commercial scale, employing a mashout is important for the purposes of consistency, predictability, and yield.” — Palmer, How to Brew

As it is with many brewing processes, some homebrewers have adopted the method because that’s how commercial brewers brew so that’s how they must brew.

Some say if using a lot of ‘sticky’ grains (i.e. wheat) then a mash out helps with viscosity reducing the chance of a stuck lauter.

Others ignore it altogether under the belief it has no impact on a homebrew scale.

I began using a mash out recently but the reason has nothing to do with enzymes or stuck lauter. I began holding crystal and roast malts to the mash out vorlauf + sparge vorlauf (I do 15 min each now) for a 30 minute total hot steep of those grains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 12:14:14 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 07:13:14 am »
Mashout is done to denature all the enzymes and limit fermentability.

After the mash is complete, if you can runoff and bring your wort to a boil within an hour, then you are mashing out on the way up to the boil anyway.  This will result in a typical, "normal" beer that is not too dry and not too full, not too thin and not too sweet, etc.  So then a separate mashout step is completely worthless.

If you're going to dork around for a few hours, then a mashout is useful if you don't want super high fermentability, high ABV, low final gravity, thin body.  But if you don't care about those parameters, then again, mashout is not necessary.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 07:23:19 am »
On the commercial scale, employing a mashout is important for the purposes of consistency, predictability, and yield.

I've worked at 3 commercial breweries and not one of them bothers doing a mash out. Most commercial breweries are either trying to get the first mash run over into the BK or the last mash empty so the brewer can go home.

A lot of time the mash will raise up to 165 during the sparge anyway. There's no convenient way to mash out commercially without adding a lot of extra time to the brew day.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:26:39 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 07:24:38 am »

After the mash is complete, if you can runoff and bring your wort to a boil within an hour, then you are mashing out on the way up to the boil anyway.

+1 --  The enzymes probably take longer to denature than 10 minutes anyway. Best just to move on to a boil. No real need to mash out.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 08:25:36 am »
With my system its easy to do step mashes so I've tested identical recipes with and without a mashout many times.  I can't tell a difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 08:26:16 am »

After the mash is complete, if you can runoff and bring your wort to a boil within an hour, then you are mashing out on the way up to the boil anyway.

+1 --  The enzymes probably take longer to denature than 10 minutes anyway. Best just to move on to a boil. No real need to mash out.

20 min. is the minimum time usually cited.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 08:49:36 am »
My standard mash is a two step with rests at around 148° and 163°.  When I had a RIMS, I added a final rest at 170°.  What I noticed is that the wort in the sight glass would be very clear after the 163° rest, but it be absolutely crystal clear after just a few minutes at 170°. 

My assumption is that there must have been some final bits of starch that didn't get converted until that final rest.  Whether or not that's important, I don't know.  Maybe those final bits get converted in the kettle as the wort is coming up to a boil anyway.

Anecdotally, I think there may be some benefits for foam retention.  But I'm not positive, and I don't know what the mechanism would be (glycoprotein formation?).

If I build or buy another recirculating system (and there must be something wrong with me because I've already starting planning it out), I'll be adding that final 170° rest back.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 11:13:39 am »
The arguments for mashing out are bunk. By the time you would mash out, nearly all of the starches that are going to be converted have been converted, unless you really screwed up the mash. You're not "locking in" the wort profile in any meaningful way by mashing out. As for the viscosity argument, on the list of variables that are important to control in brewing, the difference in wort viscosity between 160 degrees vs. 170 degrees is at the very the bottom for me...actually it's not even on the list. Where I worked, we viewed mashing out as pointless and never did it.

Mashing out is a holdover from the days of under-modified malt, where there were still enough beta-glucan sugars remaining in the grain that could lead to a more viscous mash that might cause problems lautering. Mashing out might thus be useful for a commercial brewery using under-modified malt. At the homebrew level, IMO it's useless no matter what kind of malt is used.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 01:13:47 pm »
All fascinating answers and I learned a lot!  Thank you all!!  It seems I’m spinning my wheels with a mash out as that step does not pay any dividends.

Thanks brewers!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 03:04:14 pm »
I have an electric BIAB system, and I pull the bag of grains at around 168-170. I don't do a full rest there, but I do notice that I get 1-2 gravity points on the way up from 162 to 168, which is why I wait until then to pull the bag.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 10:22:47 pm »
I have an electric BIAB system, and I pull the bag of grains at around 168-170. I don't do a full rest there, but I do notice that I get 1-2 gravity points on the way up from 162 to 168, which is why I wait until then to pull the bag.
Similar thing here. I have a Foundry and my mash is pretty much a slow ramp from 147F to 172F. I pull my grains between 172F and 175F. I seem to be getting a bit more efficiency, although I think it is more from having a longer mash than the temperature schedule.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 11:31:00 am »
Have never done mash outs in 10+ years of brewing, never seen a need to. For me it would be time wasted in my process. As already pointed out, sparging directly from my mash tun at whatever my mash temp is into my kettle that then immediately gets brought to a boil, there is no need for mash out and enzymes get denatured quickly.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 11:49:04 am »
I have a single vessel electric BIAB, so raising temps for my system is easy and quick, I feel like I get clearer wort going to the boil, so I employ a mash out.