Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Could you take a brewer/brewpub seriously who served Bud/Miller/Coors on the tap next to his house-made brews?

Yeah, it makes sense to me
No, why would you do that?
No pants?

Author Topic: Brewpubs that serve BMC  (Read 11006 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: Brewpubs that serve BMC
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2010, 10:29:29 am »
The VERY last thing I will say (this time for real  ;)) is that our local craft beer joing does not carry any Bud products. If you go in  there and ask for a Bud you get Budwar - and the bar staff tells me that most of the bud drinker that come in there find themselves pleasantly surprised.

That's hilarious - I like that!

Anyway, a couple of points and then I'll leave it all alone as well.

1. This idea that if you don't serve BMC, you're alienating 1% of your potential clientele is horse hockey. Maybe where you live, but I've never been anywhere that "People who will drink craft beer" outnumbered "People who will not drink craft beer" by 99 to one. On top of that, if you make the more reasonable assumption that we're talking about what people would prefer, and what establishments they would correspondingly choose to frequent, the 1% assumption becomes even more preposterous. Face it, craft beer preference is in the minority. The 1% assumption is ridiculous.

2. Citing Gordon, Stone, Troegs, DFH, etc. as succesful examples is misleading at best. THose companies are primarily producing beer for distribution. That's their bread and butter, not the brewpub. The brewpubs act more as marketing for the primary product. Not to say that the brewpub wasn't what initially made them, but that those brewpubs are currently in a different business from independent brewpubs. Their brand management is far more critical than individual location success. If a location failed because it could not overcome local BMC preference, they would close up shop and try somewhere else. An independent proprietor doesn't have this luxury.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2010, 10:45:22 am »
Appalachian Brewing Co, Big River Brewing Co, Russian River, Bear Republic, Blackstones, Boscos, Sedona, Moylans, Troegs... I can't even begin to name them all - never saw a BMC there. You'd think if they were in a majority of brewpubs I would have seen at least one tap somewhere.

Now, I have been to a Gordon Birsch once or twice and they may have had one, not sure.

Big River sells BMC. Not sure of all of the rest listed.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2010, 11:22:27 am »
well, maybe you are right. I just looked at their website and found out they were owned by Gordon Birsch. I didn't know that.  Pretty sure the one in Chattanooga doesn't carry BMC because I have been in there several times but maybe I just didn't notice.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2010, 04:53:07 pm »
although I don't know what 'kitch' is  

It's THIS GUY!

Even if he did make a dog's breakfast of the Transvaal.

Kitch = retro-chic. I think that is a good definition. Did I spell chic correctly? Maybe I am spelling kitch wrong. Oh its spelled kitsch,sorry

My brew pub would have a warm interior of hearty hardwoods and brick. There would be fire places and a long bar that was made of one solid piece of wood. Behind that through glass would be the small brew system. The taps and beer engines would be on that wall as if to come right from the brewery.

The dining room would be comfortable and casual but hearty. On the back wall visible to the diners would be the open hearth fire pit for grilling steaks and chops. Behind that a wood fired oven. There would be another kitchen line behind that in the next room.

The menu would be old world smoke house/steaks and chops., saur braten, micro batch sauerkraut. (Deep fried sauerkraut as a snack at the bar). Some hearty stews on the menu too like goulash. bigos, nice salads. Home made wood oven breads.

The place would smell like the stuff of dreams when you walk in.

There would be no BMC on tap, Maybe bottles.

If things dont work out. BMC  on the taps and the brew equipment will be exchanged for a stripper pole.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:33:23 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2010, 05:32:58 pm »
There would be no BMC on tap, Maybe bottles.
If things dont work out. BMC  on the taps and the brew equipment will be exchanged for a stripper pole.

LMAO.  :D

This is too funny man.
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »
Or make it a micro batch sausage place. Change the brew equipment for a micro meat packing plant.

Could make it a REAL manly place.Then I would have to change the name to the Sausage Factory.

You have to be able to adapt.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2010, 06:50:59 pm »
Yeah, I won't pretend I didn't make up a complete menu and a half-hearted "business plan" for my brewpub.  It was going to be British style bitters and other ales, with British (and colonial, ie., Indian etc.) food, meat pies, and such...catering to the expatriates, and "colonial" students at the local college (probably somewhere near 70% of my computer science fellow students were from South Asia, from my alma mater).

I would patronize Caps joint.  All the alluded rustic heartiness sounds vaguely east european, so bring out the mezze platters with dried beef and cured sausages, ajvar, and slivovica, and I'm there...

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2010, 08:26:49 pm »
Kitsch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch

Would be a great name for a hip stylish type bar. Good beers on tap, quick bar food of a Central European theme.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »
I still vote for Lord Kitchener, but then, I am a long time student of South African military history.