Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why Grammar is Important  (Read 14839 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Why Grammar is Important
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 06:19:19 pm »
I never understood "they're" I always just write they are. Writing an a is just as easy.
It may depend on your accent, but I have no problem with affect and effect because they sound so much different the way I say them.    All I need to do is say the sentance out loud and I immediately know which to use.  On the other hand, I've never said "they are" in my life so it would be really difficult for me to start writing it.

I don't remember before 5 digit phone numbers, but I do remember having to be careful not to say anything you wouldn't say in public on the party line.

How bout when you say 'yes they are'?

I say they're sometimes but I also say they are. I always write they are.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 06:59:28 pm »
Where yat who dat Santa Claus?   ;D
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 11:34:02 pm »
But...but...but...effect has a c in it, too!   ???

And... AND... "Change" and "Create" both start with "C"!

Yes, have some.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 09:07:02 am »
But...but...but...effect has a c in it, too!   ???

And... AND... "Change" and "Create" both start with "C"!

Yes, have some.

Yes, have some.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 09:13:33 am »
I'm waiting for somebody to reintroduce dial telephones with cords.http://
how about just picking it up and talking to someone.  You need some help from someone named Mabel.

That's how it was in my small town when I was a kid.  I remember 2 digit phone numbers.

Denny's so old, not only does he remember 2-digit phone numbers, but they're the only ones he CAN remember! Ha!
Sorry, Denny... I couldn't resist that one.

Whippersnapper....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 09:19:01 am »
You need a cane you can wave at me menacingly when you say that.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 09:28:56 am »
Get off my lawn!  :)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Tom Schmidlin

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 09:02:43 pm »
Every grammar snob (like me) should read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation"  by Lynne Truss.  We all make mistakes, but it's encouraging to know there are others to whom correct grammar remains important.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:43 am »
When I was in school too many decades ago, I was taught that the plural for deer was deer, not deers.  
Deer Singular: "That deer is eating the tree."
Deer Plural: "Look at all the deer eating the tree."  Not "look at all the deers eating the tree."

So why do we insist in drinking beers? It must be that majority Denny showed in his graph. The same rule is followed by the word beer or any other word with two ee.  
Beer Singular: "I'd like to have a beer please."
Beer Plural: "Let's go out and have some beer." not "Let's go out and have some beers."

Thank you for indulging our needs for some grammar.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:19:18 am by Steve »
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 09:32:29 am »
Thats great.

The English language is totally weird. There are a lot of rules that serve absolutely no purpose. Then there are other things where a rule is needed. Like the need for a plural 'you' Yous' yins, you'all.

When I met my wife she barely spoke any English at all. The last seven years have been one long English lesson for which I am the teacher.  ::)

She asks me so many questions that I am unable to answer.

One is, why are there so many "big" words yet we have to use the same word spelled differently with multiple meanings? It does not make any sense.

There
Their
they're

Right
Rite
Wright
Write

It makes the feminine and masculine situation in the European languages appear to make sense. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 09:53:21 am »
All those homonyms have subtle differences in their pronunciation.

Per my attempts to learn French, German and Spanish I've come to appreciate the simplicity of English language conjugation. I would've thought English would be easier to learn due to this, but some second language friends tell me this is not so- that English can be tricky.

Good. ;)

I'll ask my Columbian colleague today about it. He actually uses English properly and to great effect- much better than most Americans I've come across.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 10:22:55 am »
It is also possible to pass judgment on people by the way they use grammar. Spoken or written.

I think there is a big difference between the two, One may use bad grammar on purpose while speaking depending on the persons or situations they may be addressing. But the written word should be correct.

Accept except in conversational forums such as this one. For example mrnate and pinnah who like to write with colloquialisms. Im sure both of them have command of the English language. But it can be fun.

I like this subject.

edited for spelling. spell check doesnt always help either. ::)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:56:49 am by capozzoli »

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 10:37:07 am »
I can only write like I talk, Y'all.

Unfortunately it's just as natural for me to be highbrow as it is for me to be lowbrow, so I end up with some weird speech and writing patterns.

I said something the other day and my wife's friend asked, "What movie is that from?" I told her it wasn't a movie line. She says, "Oh, it sounds like a line from a Clint Eastwood movie."

"Reckon so," says I.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 10:56:00 am »
When I was in school too many decades ago, I was taught that the plural for deer was deer, not deers.  
Deer Singular: "That deer is eating the tree."
Deer Plural: "Look at all the deer eating the tree."  Not "look at all the deers eating the tree."

So why do we insist in drinking beers? It must be that majority Denny showed in his graph. The same rule is followed by the word beer or any other word with two ee.  
Beer Singular: "I'd like to have a beer please."
Beer Plural: "Let's go out and have some beer." not "Let's go out and have some beers."

Thank you for indulging our needs for some grammar.
It's both.  Beer can be used as both a mass noun, like furniture, so you'd say "let's go have some beer".  It is also a singular noun, so you can have a beer or four beers.  You wouldn't say to a bartender "I'd like four beer".  Well, I guess you might and you'd get what you wanted, but she might look at you funny.  :)

Tom Schmidlin