Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why Grammar is Important  (Read 15066 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Why Grammar is Important
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2010, 05:17:21 am »
Yeah, because you probably pronounce Baltimore "Ballmer"

Actually more like "Bawldemor" - I don't have much of an accent. Confused the hell out of me when I watched that damn Lord of the Rings movie, though.
;D

A buddy of mine from "Sollsbree" (Salisbury) always called it "Ballmer"
That's what my NHC t-shirt says, Hon.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2010, 07:49:04 am »
There are variations in the accent, which by the way stretches up to parts of Philly.

I still say "Downeocean" and can't force myself to say "Down to the Shore."
I was confused that the Blair Witch Project didn't actually tke place in Bel Air.
Druid Hill will always be "Droodle" to me.
The only time I say "Y'all" is when it's right after a "F*** all..."
I never pronounced it "Ballmer" but always "Merlin."

But that's about it. Phone, home, water, oil, sink - All pronounced normal. Maybe a slight inflection on "Hon," but that's about it.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2010, 08:35:25 am »
This was funny as all hell.

Airplane! (1980)

First Jive Dude: Shiiiiit, maaaaan. That honky muf' be messin' mah old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head, you know?
Second Jive Dude: Hey home', I can dig it. Know ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap up on you, man!
First Jive Dude: I say hey, sky... subba say I wan' see...
Second Jive Dude: Uh-huh.
First Jive Dude: ...pray to J I did the same ol' same ol'!
Second Jive Dude: Hey... knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in', man!
First Jive Dude: Hey, you know what they say: see a broad to get dat booty yak 'em...
First Jive Dude, Second Jive Dude: ...leg 'er down a smack 'em yak 'em!
First Jive Dude: COL' got to be! Y'know? Shiiiiit.

Ahhh shiiiiiiiiit man, that is fuuuuuuuunny!!
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2010, 10:01:28 am »
But that's about it. Phone, home, water, oil, sink - All pronounced normal. Maybe a slight inflection on "Hon," but that's about it.
Wait, sink?  How else would you pronounce it?  I can understand the others, but I thought sink was pretty straightforward.

And Hon? Jeffy mentioned that too, I don't get it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:02 am »
Wait, sink?  How else would you pronounce it?  I can understand the others, but I thought sink was pretty straightforward.

And Hon? Jeffy mentioned that too, I don't get it.

Fown = Phone
Howm = Home
Wooder = Water
Earl = Oil
Zinc = Sink
Hon - No good way to spell this out without some sort of special character. "Hon" gets tacked on to the end of sentences similar to the Canadian "Eh."
Edit: Google "Mary Prankster" if you want to hear the accent up close and personal. I won't post those links here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:12:45 am by MrNate »
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2010, 10:31:36 am »
Zinc = Sink
Funny, I've never heard that one :)

Hon - No good way to spell this out without some sort of special character. "Hon" gets tacked on to the end of sentences similar to the Canadian "Eh."
Never heard of this either.  Is it like hun, short for honey?  Or is it something else?  Trying to google it led to some hilarious rants against Baltimore and the Ravens  ;D

Edit: Google "Mary Prankster" if you want to hear the accent up close and personal. I won't post those links here.
:o
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2010, 10:39:11 am »
Never heard of this either.  Is it like hun, short for honey?  Or is it something else?  Trying to google it led to some hilarious rants against Baltimore and the Ravens  ;D

Yeah, exactly, but kind of with that drawn out "ow" sound in the middle. Like you're ordering a cup of coffee in the diner after coming from the dentist's office with half a face full of novicaine.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:24 am »
Try this site: www.baltimorehon.com
When they had the NHC in Bawlmer, they had some of the local jargon on the t-shirt.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2010, 12:58:18 pm »
Yeah, exactly, but kind of with that drawn out "ow" sound in the middle. Like you're ordering a cup of coffee in the diner after coming from the dentist's office with half a face full of novicaine.
That's an awesome image :)

Try this site: www.baltimorehon.com
When they had the NHC in Bawlmer, they had some of the local jargon on the t-shirt.

That's excellent, now they just need some mp3s so we can hear it :)

I missed the NHC in Bawlmer, my kids were only about 3 months old at that point.  I couldn't have gotten away with going, but the look on SWMBOs face when I brought it up was priceless.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »
You know what? Just find some old Billy Mays clips (God rest his energetic soul) - He's from Philly, but apparently the part that has a very similar accent. Listen to the way he says "powerful" especially.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2010, 01:38:42 pm »
 Around Kensington they call Girard Ave. Girahad Ave. Like they are from Boston or somewhere. Maybe that is where he is from.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »
Tar - A rubber thing you put on the rim of a car.
Far - What happens to wood when you strike a match to it.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2010, 03:52:59 pm »
speaking of pronunciations.

the word vaccine is pronounced vacksine or vaxine.  the correct pronounciation? way to say flaccid is actually flaxid the same as vaccine.  i have found a source that indicates that it can be said flassid, and nearly everybody in the medical community says it this way. so when i say it correctly, i get goofy stares.  :-\
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2010, 04:06:11 pm »
speaking of pronunciations.

the word vaccine is pronounced vacksine or vaxine.  the correct pronounciation? way to say flaccid is actually flaxid the same as vaccine.  i have found a source that indicates that it can be said flassid, and nearly everybody in the medical community says it this way. so when i say it correctly, i get goofy stares.  :-\
Flassid is much more common than flaxid.  While it is correct to say it flaxid, it is not more correct than saying it flassid.  Both are acceptable. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2010, 06:14:35 pm »
Tar - A rubber thing you put on the rim of a car.
Far - What happens to wood when you strike a match to it.

After all my talk about not having much of an accent, I caught myself telling my daughter to go get in the "shere" (shower) tonight.