Author Topic: Why Grammar is Important  (Read 5587 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
Re: Why Grammar is Important
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
There
Their
They're
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »
There
Their
They're
I never mess those up when I'm writing, but when I'm typing I do it all of the time.  Obviously my hand knows the difference, my fingers don't. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
I never understood "they're" I always just write they are. Writing an a is just as easy.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
I'm waiting for somebody to reintroduce dial telephones with cords.
how about just picking it up and talking to someone.  You need some help from someone named Mabel.

That's how it was in my small town when I was a kid.  I remember 2 digit phone numbers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
Funny that this topic was started by a guy who said this (my emphasis):

I've always thought that it did add a slight honey taste to the beer, but I really wonder how much of that is psychological.  I've done enough study of how preconceptions effect perception to be skeptical of my own tastings when it isn't done blind.  And I haven't done that with honey malt.

Maybe they need to change that pie chart to include audio post production types . . .  ;D

I was an English major in college, and that's one I still get wrong almost every time!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 03:14:03 PM »
That's how it was in my small town when I was a kid.  I remember 2 digit phone numbers.

. . .and party lines.

two
to
too

The later being the most misunderstood, and misapplied.
Just brew it...

Offline dj99

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »
I  don't understand this thread at all.  All my grammars been good ladies. :0
I loves to Homebrew!
(in SW Washington)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
Funny that this topic was started by a guy who said this (my emphasis):

I've always thought that it did add a slight honey taste to the beer, but I really wonder how much of that is psychological.  I've done enough study of how preconceptions effect perception to be skeptical of my own tastings when it isn't done blind.  And I haven't done that with honey malt.

Maybe they need to change that pie chart to include audio post production types . . .  ;D

I was an English major in college, and that's one I still get wrong almost every time!
I usually ask myself, if I change the word to "create" or "change", which one makes more sense?  Are you creating perception or changing perception?  Change is affect, create is effect.

It might not work in all sentences, but it's easy to remember which is which - affect has a C in it, and change starts with C.   ;) ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »
I  don't understand this thread at all.  All my grammars been good ladies. :0

Because the effects of bad grammer affects everyone.

^That ain't too good, is it^ ;D

All I remember from English class is "the department of redundancy department" and "never end a sentence a proposition with".

The problem with me is I write gooder than I talk ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »
I usually ask myself, if I change the word to "create" or "change", which one makes more sense?  Are you creating perception or changing perception?  Change is affect, create is effect.

It might not work in all sentences, but it's easy to remember which is which - affect has a C in it, and change starts with C.   ;) ;D

But...but...but...effect has a c in it, too!   ???

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I usually ask myself, if I change the word to "create" or "change", which one makes more sense?  Are you creating perception or changing perception?  Change is affect, create is effect.

It might not work in all sentences, but it's easy to remember which is which - affect has a C in it, and change starts with C.   ;) ;D

But...but...but...effect has a c in it, too!   ???

And... AND... "Change" and "Create" both start with "C"! The way I always remember it is that one may affect the effect, which is kind of a shorthand way of saying that when you affect a situation, you have had an effect on it. Just remember it's in alphabetical order.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »
I'm waiting for somebody to reintroduce dial telephones with cords.http://
how about just picking it up and talking to someone.  You need some help from someone named Mabel.

That's how it was in my small town when I was a kid.  I remember 2 digit phone numbers.

Denny's so old, not only does he remember 2-digit phone numbers, but they're the only ones he CAN remember! Ha!
Sorry, Denny... I couldn't resist that one.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
Bwahahahahaha! Good one!  ;D
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline malzig

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »
I never understood "they're" I always just write they are. Writing an a is just as easy.
It may depend on your accent, but I have no problem with affect and effect because they sound so much different the way I say them.    All I need to do is say the sentance out loud and I immediately know which to use.  On the other hand, I've never said "they are" in my life so it would be really difficult for me to start writing it.

I don't remember before 5 digit phone numbers, but I do remember having to be careful not to say anything you wouldn't say in public on the party line.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
I really thought its it's that is mis-used most often. ;)
The moral majority, is neither.