Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Light Beer  (Read 8769 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2021, 09:10:44 pm »
This sounds promising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2021, 07:42:52 am »
Be aware that the body may thin out as carbonation increases. That's something you might want to monitor as the keg conditions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2021, 08:21:06 am »
Be aware that the body may thin out as carbonation increases. That's something you might want to monitor as the keg conditions.

Good point, will do.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2021, 04:41:46 am »

Good point, will do.
The beer is fully carded now and the full body is still there. Frankly, I am amazed how much I like this beer.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2021, 06:03:58 am »
The light bitter I made also came out pretty good. It ended up to be 90 calories and 4 g carbs. I used 100% marris otter and wy1469. I didn’t add any dark malt or anything to adjust color and it ended up looking like a lager. I used toffee flavored stevia because I had some and it seemed appropriate for this style. Again, I am over the moon about the mouthfeel I am getting for these beers. The stevia is just barely perceivable and not a problem but I think I like using monk fruit better. My next bitter will have some crystal and mint the toffee stevia.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2021, 07:10:28 am »
Still using the two beano in mash and two in fermenter?  (I just picked up some beano).

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2021, 07:54:46 am »
Still using the two beano in mash and two in fermenter?  (I just picked up some beano).

In these brews I did. However I purchased some WL ultra fern in my last Morebeer order. The beano worked fine as far as I can tell and was easy to crush up but sometimes when I place a home brew supply order a certain momentum builds up and I end up buying stuff because it’s there.

Offline BrewBama

Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2021, 08:20:10 am »

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:30:18 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2021, 03:44:14 am »
A comment on another thread about overnight mashing in an anvil inspired me to try it in hopes of making a very fermentable wort. I mashed from 11 pm to 7:oo am at 148, ramping up to 160 around 6:30 a.m. while drinking my first cup of coffee.
I am making a light ipa again, shooting for 95 cal and 3 carb. I will call it “Jack my Dog”, bonus points if you can guess why.
It’s like this:
5# marris otter
2# valley malt danko rye
1.030 OG
Perle hops 60 min 38 ibu
Lots of late and dry hop cascade and centennial
Beano in mash and fermenter
A touch of monk fruit extract to taste
I am taking a chance on a pack of Denny’s Favorite with a June use by that I would have ordinarily made a starter with but was lazy and the og is so low I think I will be ok. I have backup s05 and 04.

If I may ask, where did you get valley malt danko rye ?

Thanks

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2021, 06:02:03 am »
A comment on another thread about overnight mashing in an anvil inspired me to try it in hopes of making a very fermentable wort. I mashed from 11 pm to 7:oo am at 148, ramping up to 160 around 6:30 a.m. while drinking my first cup of coffee.
I am making a light ipa again, shooting for 95 cal and 3 carb. I will call it “Jack my Dog”, bonus points if you can guess why.
It’s like this:
5# marris otter
2# valley malt danko rye
1.030 OG
Perle hops 60 min 38 ibu
I am taking a chance on a pack of Denny’s Favorite with a June use by that I would have ordinarily made a starter with but was lazy and the og is so low I think I will be ok. I have backup s05 and 04.

Thanks

My local maltster  , Valley Malt, in Hadley MA. I don’t believe they do mail order and even their in person sales to home brewers is a very limited program.
I am sure other rye malts are a suitable substitution.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2021, 03:23:03 pm »
It’s like this:
5# marris otter
2# valley malt danko rye
1.030 OG
Perle hops 60 min 38 ibu

Thanks

My local maltster  , Valley Malt, in Hadley MA. I don’t believe they do mail order and even their in person sales to home brewers is a very limited program.

Thanks
Bought Mecca Grade rye, at a mecca grade price, hope it has a mecca grade taste.
Never used rye before.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:37:43 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2021, 06:18:28 am »
It’s like this:
5# marris otter
2# valley malt danko rye
1.030 OG
Perle hops 60 min 38 ibu

Thanks

Thanks
Bought Mecca Grade rye, at a mecca grade price, hope it has a mecca grade taste.
Never used rye before.
I think rye malt can be a really nice addition. The rule of thumb is that you need 20% for it to have an impact on flavor. In my experience it has never been assertive, just a nice added flavor and full mouthfeel. I consider it a “dude’s rug” ingredient, it ties the whole thing together.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2021, 09:07:38 am »
Brewing a favorite APA recipe today with the addition of beano in hopes of creating a carb friendly pint.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2021, 09:40:18 am »
Brewing a favorite APA recipe today with the addition of beano in hopes of creating a carb friendly pint.

Awesome, good luck. Are going to try monkfruit or anything like that?
I just placed a Yankee Spirits order in part to try new light beers I can't get in my town and one intriguing one I have coming is Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty that uses monkfruit.
The light beer has been working out pretty well as part of a lifestyle change (as opposed to a diet). I am not doing keto, I am making longterm changes that I can keep doing without feeling deprived. I drink light beer regularly and any beer I want now and then. Basically reducing carbs is just part of overall calorie reduction and nutrition. More carbs from fruit, less from bread, pasta, and beer but I still will be having all that. I also work out 20-30 minutes almost every day, also very doable. Since April I am down from 224 to 207. I am 6'1" with a large frame and decent muscle so I will be happy to get down to 200 and what I am doing seems very sustainable.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2021, 01:25:32 pm »
I am taking a wait and see approach to the Monk Fruit. I have no idea how much to add and may dose by the pint if I think it needs it.

I am adjusting lifestyle as well. Once I hit my target weight I will allow carbs to increase to ~75-100 per day as a kind of maintenance and see how that does. If I start gaining I can cut back a bit to find the sweet spot. I chose an arbitrary 50 carbs upper limit for the time being but rarely bump up against it. I have been taking it easy on the beer because all mine on tap are full carb beers. I had a couple at the Memorial Day family cookout and a couple watching fireworks for Independence Day. Other than that it’s been a half pint and sometimes a pint here and there.  Not the 2-3 pints I used to have daily. I’ll probably not go back to that but will increase beer as football kicks off.

My old analog scales lied to me so we got new digital scales a few weeks ago. On the day I got the new scales I was 241. Yesterday I was 226. Not breaking any world records but a steady weight loss that I am pleased with. My clothes fit better now but at 6’2” I think another 15-16 lbs should do it. I want to get back to my drivers license weight. I should be there by the end of Aug-mid Sep-ish.