Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Light Beer  (Read 8782 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2021, 06:02:11 am »
How does anyone determine how many calories are in a homebrew and also how many carbs?  Is there some formula or do you have the lab equipment  and knowledge to analyze it, or are you paying a commercial lab to do it for you?
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2021, 12:15:02 pm »
I use this calculator: http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/carb-cal.shtml

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2021, 04:17:15 pm »
Thanks.  I always thought expensive labs were required.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2021, 10:51:11 am »
I brewed a light fresh hop ipa today with my homegrown hops. I dried some of my galena a few days ago and used that as a 60 minute bittering addition. A whole bunch of fresh cascade that I picked during the boil went into a whirlpool and more cascade I picked this morning is drying in the dehydrator to use for dry hopping.
The o.g. Was 1.030 and I used beano in the mash and white labs ultra ferm went into the fermenter along with 1450 slurry. It should come out to be around 90 calories and 3 or 4 carbs.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2021, 11:33:18 am »
Sounds good.

I keep hitting my OG+ due to better efficiency at the lower grain bill. Jury is still out but currently I am not as impressed with the ‘beano beer’ as I am the enzyme beer. I have one of both on tap now and keep going to the Brutzyme beer. Not sure what it is but there’s a mouthfeel or something that’s just slightly different. Something I am not used to or something. Not bad. Just different.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2021, 11:49:26 am »
Sounds good.

I keep hitting my OG+ due to better efficiency at the lower grain bill. Jury is still out but currently I am not as impressed with the ‘beano beer’ as I am the enzyme beer. I have one of both on tap now and keep going to the Brutzyme beer. Not sure what it is but there’s a mouthfeel or something that’s just slightly different. Something I am not used to or something. Not bad. Just different.

that's pretty much the same conclusion I reached in my trials of Beano
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2021, 03:17:35 pm »
Sounds good.

Yea, I had to bring the amount of malt down a couple times when I first started brewing these beers as I would aim for say 1.031 and hit around 1.036 or more.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewNerd

• Cellarman
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2021, 07:51:41 am »
The subject of light and low carb beer has come up a bit on the forum lately so I believe there is some interest for some of us. I hope this thread will give those who are interested in brewing light and/or low carb beers a chance to exchange ideas. Brewers who like to troubleshoot problems might like to chime in too. Previous threads related to this subject have devolved into judgmental diet advice stuff. Please refrain from telling us to just not drink much beer or carbs don’t matter etc.

Thank you for bringing this up.

I like to hope that everyone appreciates a "good" beer regardless of number of calories and alcohol content. It's always the taste that matters.

If anything, this serves as a wonderful technical challenge (any Great British Bake Off fans?) and makes you a more creative brewer.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2021, 03:59:44 pm »
I brewed a beer once OG of 1.020.

50% carapils
40% pale ale
10% c60

Mashed at 162

It finished around 1.012
Pitched with 1 smack pack into 17 gallons of wort.
No aeration.

Heavy dry hop at an ounce per gallon.

I was attempting to make NA beer or as close as I could get. I was hoping it would finish at 1.015. I think it could be done.

The general comments from those who tasted it was “I’ve had worse regular craft beer”.

I couldn’t catch a buzz from it and was good fir about two to three pints at a time. So I guess it was a success in that regard.