Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kviek as a primary yeast for brett beers  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Bomar

• 1st Kit
Kviek as a primary yeast for brett beers
« on: May 24, 2021, 08:50:44 pm »
I have had excellent results w/ Kviek as a sacc starter for my bretts. I pitch Kviek and a good Omega brett yeast in a 14 gallon run. The Kviek eats all the low hanging fruit and the brett comes in to clean up. 1 month of aging and I end up with a  dry perfect belgian style beer with the selected hop notes right up front. So.....kviek is the best starter yeast for my brett overlay.......It really does an amazing job at cleaning up the initial fermentables......!!!!!
Modify message

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Kviek as a primary yeast for brett beers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 05:43:58 am »
I like this! I love Brett beers. I will give this a try this summer. Thanks!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 06:20:43 am »
I have had excellent results w/ Kviek as a sacc starter for my bretts. I pitch Kviek and a good Omega brett yeast in a 14 gallon run. The Kviek eats all the low hanging fruit and the brett comes in to clean up. 1 month of aging and I end up with a  dry perfect belgian style beer with the selected hop notes right up front. So.....kviek is the best starter yeast for my brett overlay.......It really does an amazing job at cleaning up the initial fermentables......!!!!!
Modify message

Do you co-pitch or stagger?  I haven't used Brett yet, but it's on my to-do list.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 04:47:13 pm »
I would be hesitant to co pitch any yeast at the temps that you typically pitch kveik at

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 06:25:50 pm »
I would be hesitant to co pitch any yeast at the temps that you typically pitch kveik at

I wouldn't worry. Brett seems to do ok at warmer temperatures and it's so slow to get off the blocks that by the time the kveik yeast winds down the beer can be cooled into the 70s or lower and let brett ride at those temperatures.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing