Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Phosphoric acid, how much is too much?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Phosphoric acid, how much is too much?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 11:11:41 am »
If your build your water profile for the beer style you are brewing, you should not have to add any acid to get the pH of the mash in the right range.  I build my profiles using RO water and calculate mineral additions using Martin's Bru'n Water calculator, and always hit the target mash pH.

this has not been my experience. I add CaCl and CASO4 to get my chlorides and sulfates where I want them, and then use either an acid of alkaline to get my ph correct.

Agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 11:15:20 am »
... As with anything else, the best situation is for each brewer to experiment and determine what all of these steps do for YOU and your tastebuds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 11:46:48 am »
10-15, ...25 ml. Wow   I use far, far less.

I think the most acid I’ve ever used is 5 ml lactic. Now, I use 1 ml phosphoric if I use any. (Apples vs Oranges I know — 10-25 phosphoric just seems like a lot to me)
We are talking about 10% here not 88%. I usually use between 10-15ml normally.

Edit: Didn't see your other post below.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 11:48:23 am by Big_Eight »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 12:52:01 pm »

I think the most acid I’ve ever used is 5 ml lactic. Now, I use 1 ml phosphoric if I use any. (Apples vs Oranges I know — 10-25 phosphoric just seems like a lot to me)

I know. That’s why I said it was apples vs oranges. I’ve never used that much of any strength acid so it seems like a lot to me. What can I say? 

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 03:53:40 pm »

I know. That’s why I said it was apples vs oranges. I’ve never used that much of any strength acid so it seems like a lot to me. What can I say? 

Just for clarification adding 1.7ml of Phosphoric Acid at 88% is equivalent to adding 25ml of Phosphoric Acid at 10% as either will adjust the pH the same amount.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 07:23:51 pm »
(No sparge) Have always used acidulated malt but wanna switch to phosphoric acid 10%, beersmith tells me I’d need between 10-15 ml of it to get down to 5.4, is this too much acid? How much acid will it take before you start tasting it in very pale beers?

Don't worry about the seemingly large volume of acid being recommended.  That 10% phosphoric is mostly water and that's the reason why you need to add what seems to be 'a lot'.  I'm not sure if the acid calculations in Beersmith have been refined, but I do recommend that you double-check the acid additions with another brewing calculator to confirm that 10% phosphoric addition.  In any case, its unlikely that you'd 'taste' that acid since its one of the most neutral tasting options.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 07:49:53 pm »
(No sparge) Have always used acidulated malt but wanna switch to phosphoric acid 10%, beersmith tells me I’d need between 10-15 ml of it to get down to 5.4, is this too much acid? How much acid will it take before you start tasting it in very pale beers?

Don't worry about the seemingly large volume of acid being recommended.  That 10% phosphoric is mostly water and that's the reason why you need to add what seems to be 'a lot'.  I'm not sure if the acid calculations in Beersmith have been refined, but I do recommend that you double-check the acid additions with another brewing calculator to confirm that 10% phosphoric addition.  In any case, its unlikely that you'd 'taste' that acid since its one of the most neutral tasting options.
Since Beer Smith added in the BW model it has been much better and pretty close to your spreadsheet. I use your sheet and Beersmith both to confirm. Thanks by the way your sheet is awesome.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 05:57:13 am »
...Since Beer Smith added in the BW model it has been much better and pretty close to your spreadsheet. ...

I agree. Night and Day to the other calc BS used before.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 07:06:21 am »
... As with anything else, the best situation is for each brewer to experiment and determine what all of these steps do for YOU and your tastebuds.

Totally agree!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified