Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Invert sugar substitute  (Read 3385 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Invert sugar substitute
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 09:03:53 am »
It calls for Invert #1

I'm thinking LIGHT Belgian rock Candi would also do the trick

Nope, not even in the ballpark.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 12:00:39 pm »
Get Demerara, Turbinado, or Sugar in the Raw. Those are all very similar if not the same.

Invert sugar #1 would start with one of those, resolved into a little water and a pinch of acid, brought to 240 F, held at 240F for 20 minutes. This will give a golden colored syrup, with a rich flavor. #2 and #3 are cooked longer to develope more flavor and color.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/beer-food/invert-syrups-making-simple-sugars-complex-beers/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 10:06:27 pm »
Lyle's Golden Syrup can be found in the baking sections of some stores. If you have a British expat community it might be in the British section.

Golden Syrup is partially inverted. It does have a nice flavor. It is closest to Invert #1.

What does the recipe call for? 1,2, or 3.

I’ve used Lyles several times and don’t care for it. Maybe it’s my recipe? I should do a split batch with different sugars to confirm, but definitely have not cared for the ones with Lyles.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 10:35:01 pm »
Get Demerara, Turbinado, or Sugar in the Raw. Those are all very similar if not the same.

Invert sugar #1 would start with one of those, resolved into a little water and a pinch of acid, brought to 240 F, held at 240F for 20 minutes. This will give a golden colored syrup, with a rich flavor. #2 and #3 are cooked longer to develope more flavor and color.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/beer-food/invert-syrups-making-simple-sugars-complex-beers/

+1 -- and super easy to make. Dejavu  ;)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 05:51:10 am »
Lyle's Golden Syrup can be found in the baking sections of some stores. If you have a British expat community it might be in the British section.

Golden Syrup is partially inverted. It does have a nice flavor. It is closest to Invert #1.

What does the recipe call for? 1,2, or 3.

I’ve used Lyles several times and don’t care for it. Maybe it’s my recipe? I should do a split batch with different sugars to confirm, but definitely have not cared for the ones with Lyles.
I used Lyle’s a while back and recall the same... I didn’t like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 06:57:18 am »

I also found making invert easy. It’s like standing by the stove and stirring anything else.

I also enjoyed that I made my own invert. It was another part of the beer making process to learn about.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 07:27:16 am »

I also found making invert easy. It’s like standing by the stove and stirring anything else.

I also enjoyed that I made my own invert. It was another part of the beer making process to learn about.

I hadn't made it in years and I read BrewBama's write up on it and the thread that followed and made it recently. Now I just keep a jar of it on hand at all times.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 08:38:23 am »
So did the Lyle's give a butterscotch flavor or similar that you didn't like?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 08:52:12 am »

I hadn't made it in years and I read BrewBama's write up on it and the thread that followed and made it recently. Now I just keep a jar of it on hand at all times.

+1 It takes just as long to make several pounds as it does to make just one. I usually make 3 or more pounds at a time and split it up into one pound packages... a one pint canning jar is just right... and stash them in the pantry until needed.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 09:20:32 am »

I generally agree that Turbinado and Sugar In The Raw (a brand name) are likely quite close to the same, but I believe Demerara to be a bit deeper in flavor and also a bit darker in color than the other two.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 09:34:26 am »

I generally agree that Turbinado and Sugar In The Raw (a brand name) are likely quite close to the same, but I believe Demerara to be a bit deeper in flavor and also a bit darker in color than the other two.
Muscavado sugar has more flavor than any i manyioned. I used it once and liked it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 09:39:19 am »
i used 1lb of turbinado in a strong ale recently. i like the taste a lot, what i believe i perceive from it is a very light molasses note along with the strength of the extra alcohol. it may be coloured brownish, but the contribution was very close to a pound of table sugar imho

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2021, 07:01:24 am »

Muscavado sugar has more flavor than any i manyioned. I used it once and liked it.

I have a pound of that. Been waiting for something to use it on.

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 02:23:01 pm »
Following up.  I used Demerara and the brew came out REALLY good.  Not sure if was only due to Demerara.  But I'm going to re-brew this beer and will definitely use the Demerara again!   Thanks for the suggestions.