Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash overnight in my Foundry?  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Mash overnight in my Foundry?
« on: May 27, 2021, 03:25:36 pm »
I looked around the forum a bit, found some info on mashing in the night before in a cooler, but wondering how this might work in the Foundry. Right now, I plugin my Foundry the night before, fill it with water, and set the delay timer for 8 hours or whatever so it turns itself on and starts heating before I get up.

Wondering how this might work to actually mash in at room temp and leave it sit there all night until the Foundry turns on in the morning. This way, I could maybe have the sacchrification rest in full swing before I even wake up. Maybe even be ready for mashout.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Mash overnight in my Foundry?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 03:55:32 am »
Try it and let us know how it goes :)

One thing I'd be concerned about (although no idea if this is an actual issue or not) is that since you haven't started from mash temps any bacteria on the surface of the grain hasn't been pasteurized. An overnight soak may lead to some lactic acid formation (and possibly other more harmful stuff) prior to ramping up to mash temps.

Otherwise, this would be a really cool idea and would shave an hour or more off my brewday if it worked.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 07:11:11 am »
An overnight soak may lead to some lactic acid formation (and possibly other more harmful stuff) prior to ramping up to mash temps.

Ah, yeah the moisture and microrganism thing. I guess I'd be more inclined then to get the Foundry up to 152F, mash in, turn it off and hit the sack. I'll bet the double wall would keep it hot for quite some time. Maybe even until morning hmmm.. A test run with some water might prove interesting.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:46:37 am »
I would be concerned with bacterial growth, so I suggest sealing out O2, if possible, to help keep those buggers from taking hold overnight, even with the 152 starting point.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 08:54:04 am »
Q: could you bring your strike water up to temp and add the grains the night before and let the Foundry hold the heat overnight?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 09:42:37 am »
Q: could you bring your strike water up to temp and add the grains the night before and let the Foundry hold the heat overnight?

I would expect a highly fermentable wort from that long mash process.  Maybe a preferred process would be to do a full mash the night before, sparge as usual and raise to a mashout temp and hold the wort at that temp through the night for boiling the next morning...

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 05:25:57 pm »

Maybe. The guys mashing in the cooler overnight say heat loss is quite low. Anecdotally, "Only a few degrees".  I think letting the Foundry hold the heat overnight would achieve the same end result but not sure I want to leave it running all night. I've left hot water sit in it for an hour or so during clean up and when I've come back the water is still too hot to stick a sponge in and slosh about so it retains heat quite well with the double wall design.

I guess I'd have to test some hot water in it overnight and measure temps before/after.

I would expect a highly fermentable wort from that long mash process.  Maybe a preferred process would be to do a full mash the night before, sparge as usual and raise to a mashout temp and hold the wort at that temp through the night for boiling the next morning...

Sorry, still new to a lot of this. Not sure what highly fermentable means. Is that where you either get wort with a lot of body/flavor or you get wort that's all fermentable sugar (and not so much body/flavor)?

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 05:29:57 pm »
I would be concerned with bacterial growth, so I suggest sealing out O2, if possible, to help keep those buggers from taking hold overnight, even with the 152 starting point.

Interestingly enough (not sure how familar you are with the Anvil Foundry) it does have a lid with a gasket and clamps to seal it. The lid has a hole for the recirculation tube but a piece of tape or something would fix that. Sealing it up would be easy.

Tangentially, Anvil sent an email out a few months reminding us all not to boil with the lid on. Apparently some poor sod found out the hard way. So... it does seal quite well.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 10:19:11 pm »

Interestingly enough (not sure how familar you are with the Anvil Foundry) it does have a lid with a gasket and clamps to seal it. The lid has a hole for the recirculation tube but a piece of tape or something would fix that. Sealing it up would be easy.

Tangentially, Anvil sent an email out a few months reminding us all not to boil with the lid on. Apparently some poor sod found out the hard way. So... it does seal quite well.
It can seal quite well if you can get the damn gasket to stay in the rim of the lid...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 03:12:40 am »
It can seal quite well if you can get the damn gasket to stay in the rim of the lid...

Yes! That thing :D! It's almost like the gasket/lid was an afterthought.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 07:35:24 am »
I wonder if I have a newer version, I have zero problems with the lid gasket.
Joe, highly fermentable means more of the complex starches have been converted to simple sugars. You end up with a lower final gravity, higher abv, and dryer, less full bodied beer. This can be undesirable or desirable based on beer style and personal preference.
It actually has me thinking I will try an overnight mash for my next light beer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 05:02:52 am »
Sorry for the lack of a response on the question.  Pete nailed it as to my point. And on the gasket - it is a pain for me, too.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 05:27:38 am »
I wonder if I have a newer version, I have zero problems with the lid gasket.

Anvil does seem to revise them periodically. I bought mine sometime last summer and one of the big design changes was the control box moved from the bottom, to the top. I think there was another fix involving the reset pin on the bottom as well. I'm glad to see Anvil is working to improve it though (their support staff gets an A+ too).

Sorry for the lack of a response on the question.  Pete nailed it as to my point. And on the gasket - it is a pain for me, too.

No problem. Thanks for the explanation about the wort, guys!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 06:04:20 am »
Joe, I did an overnight mash in my anvil last night, details in the light beer thread in Beer Recipes. I will post when I find out how the beer comes out.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 12:10:07 pm »
Joe, I did an overnight mash in my anvil last night, details in the light beer thread in Beer Recipes. I will post when I find out how the beer comes out.

Cool! Looking forward to it. (thread is here for anyone looking: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=36916.0)