Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Source for EKG  (Read 1166 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Source for EKG
« on: May 30, 2021, 06:29:04 am »
I just placed an order with Hops Direct. The only hop I wanted that they didn’t have was EKG. I am not impressed with the quality of hops that I have gotten from the big online companies. Anyone know where I can get great quality EKG?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Source for EKG
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 07:52:49 am »
Not EKG, but the U.S.Goldings I received from Hop Heaven are very good.  I have been buying from Hops Direct pretty much exclusively since they started selling on the Internet.  The hops I received from Hop Heaven are every bit as good, if not better than what I have received from Hops Direct.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 08:08:37 am »
Have you tried Yakima Valley 2020 harvest?

https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/east-kent-golding-pellet-hops

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 08:12:34 am »
Thanks Mark and Brewbama. I am new to buying hops from other than lhbs and the big online stores, maybe I will try both and compare if the shipping doesn’t make that stupid.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:15:06 pm »
Have you tried Yakima Valley 2020 harvest?

https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/east-kent-golding-pellet-hops

Thanks for the head's up!  I believe that I may have reached the point that a lot of brewers do with whole cones today.  It was a brew day from hell. What could go wrong, went wrong!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 04:57:18 pm »
i believe i saw another recommendation somewhere for US goldings. i wish i could get them.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 10:06:21 am »
Not EKG, but the U.S.Goldings I received from Hop Heaven are very good.  I have been buying from Hops Direct pretty much exclusively since they started selling on the Internet.  The hops I received from Hop Heaven are every bit as good, if not better than what I have received from Hops Direct.

second this. Hop Heavens US goldings are every bit as good as EKG, and probably better due to freshness

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 03:34:14 pm »
i believe i saw another recommendation somewhere for US goldings. i wish i could get them.
Grow your own?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 04:54:48 pm »
Grow your own?
Good point, I believe that Fred lives in Canada and that Goldings, well at least EKG, prefer the long daylight hours of northern latitudes.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 07:25:22 pm »
Grow your own?
Good point, I believe that Fred lives in Canada and that Goldings, well at least EKG, prefer the long daylight hours of northern latitudes.

They definitely did not enjoy the harsh heat of Texas summer the one time I tried to grow them when I lived there.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 10:17:09 pm »
Grow your own?

i used to think about growing my own hops, but i am worried about not knowing the AA and it fitting into my life/brewing schedule. i possibly could have the space. but certainly not for a few years

lol thanks pete, yes i live in canada, basically the same latitude as rochester NY. interesting note about EKG growing habits.