Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing 133 - Dave's Definitely Here, Man  (Read 5683 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing 133 - Dave's Definitely Here, Man
« on: May 29, 2021, 01:54:27 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-133-daves-definitely-here-man

When we asked for listener questions - y'all responded, but one man - Dave Taylor - dropped a mountain of questions on us. He and Denny go way back online with many years of thoughts, conversations and conflicting opinions. So, we sat down with Dave and work through all of his questions in a go!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: Experimental Brewing 133 - Dave's Definitely Here, Man
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 04:50:52 pm »
Dave Taylor of Anheuser Busch fame?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 06:46:33 pm »

No, Dave Taylor of anti Anheuser Busch Fame.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 06:51:44 pm »
Thanks for clarifying.
Enjoy!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 07:19:03 pm »

THAT Dave's not here, man.

*burp*

Thanks to Denny and Drew for the invite.  Great times.  Sorry for the moments that my internet connection was choppy, that's my bad, not theirs.

Cheers all.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 07:45:13 pm »

*burp*

Thanks to Denny and Drew for the invite.  Great times.  Sorry for the moments that my internet connection was choppy, that's my bad, not theirs.

Cheers all.  :)
I told ya it wasn’t that Dave. He’s not here. Now open up, it’s Dave...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 11:42:52 pm »

I don't remember if Denny left it in the intro we recorded, but I did literally say "Dave's not here, man" and we both laughed. Hence the title of the episode.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 06:16:05 pm »
I listened to this episode today and I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks to Dave for asking the questions and to Denny and Drew for answering them!. I thought it was interesting that Dave used S-04 for a lager that turned out good. Great Fementations homebrew supply also recommends S-04 as a dry yeast option with for their Oktoberfest kit along with 34/70.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 07:08:23 pm »
I listened to this episode today and I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks to Dave for asking the questions and to Denny and Drew for answering them!. I thought it was interesting that Dave used S-04 for a lager that turned out good. Great Fementations homebrew supply also recommends S-04 as a dry yeast option with for their Oktoberfest kit along with 34/70.

Glad you liked it.  I'ma gonna use S-04 a whole heck of a lot more in the future.  I said it someplace, might have been in the episode but I think on some other forum -- I think from now on I might use S-04 wherever I used to use US-05, because it ferments and flocs out faster, and hey it might even be cleaner!?!?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 07:55:36 pm »
I've used S-04 in stouts and brown ales with good results. I plan on using this yeast more often after listening to the podcast today.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 08:21:20 am »

Glad you liked it.  I'ma gonna use S-04 a whole heck of a lot more in the future.  I said it someplace, might have been in the episode but I think on some other forum -- I think from now on I might use S-04 wherever I used to use US-05, because it ferments and flocs out faster, and hey it might even be cleaner!?!?

Have you tried BRY-97?  If not, you should.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 09:16:52 am »

Only twice, years ago... and I wasn't pleased with the result either time.  However I'd be willing to give it another shot.  Maybe the errors were mine and not the yeast's fault, as I know BRY-97 gets great reviews from most who've tried it.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 09:23:26 am »
I recently used it for a Brown and Amber Ale and I liked it a lot. I plan on using it for a Pale Ale this summer.  Other suggestions?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 09:37:02 am »

Only twice, years ago... and I wasn't pleased with the result either time.  However I'd be willing to give it another shot.  Maybe the errors were mine and not the yeast's fault, as I know BRY-97 gets great reviews from most who've tried it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

If you're looking for a clean yeast, it's worlds cleaner than 04 or 05.  Very attenuative and clears better than 05.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 10:35:33 am »
I recently used it for a Brown and Amber Ale and I liked it a lot. I plan on using it for a Pale Ale this summer.  Other suggestions?

Dry Stout.  I tinkered with my yeast choice on this style for a good while.  When I finally tried BRY-97, the search was over.  The beer shot up to a whole new level.