Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clarity after no finings (bottle conditioning)  (Read 1197 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Clarity after no finings (bottle conditioning)
« on: May 29, 2021, 06:58:08 pm »
I couldn’t find the thread but here is a Helles I brewed recently with no whirl flock or and other type of kettle or fermenter finings. There is a small amount of chill haze. It lagered for about 10 days bulk then bottled and conditioned for another 10 days at about 60F ... it’s clear enough for the likes of me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:57:54 am by majorvices »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Clarity after no finings (bottle conditioning)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 08:06:50 pm »
Looks fantastic! Nice head on that. Strain?

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 04:19:38 am »
What's the grist make up for your helles?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 05:38:06 am »
Was this a purposeful brew to see how clear you could make it without finings or were you just out or something?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 05:45:40 am »
Looks fantastic! Nice head on that. Strain?

I believe it was just WY2124 -- it was a smackpack I woke up that was over a year old and I forgot to write it down but most likely that is what it was.

Was this a purposeful brew to see how clear you could make it without finings or were you just out or something?

No, I often don't use finings. There was a thread that I was involved with recently where someone "forgot the Irish Moss" and I had mentioned I didn't use IM usually. But I couldn't find the thread. So I just got all excited and posted it. ;)

This isn't meant as an argument against IM just saying that you don't necessarily HAVE to use it (or anything) to get clear beer. Of course, you do need to get you pH right!

In this case just pilsner with a touch of Munich. I did do a double decoction since it was a small (5L) batch.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:44:31 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 05:55:49 am »
BTW, not only was this not fined with kettle or post-fermentation finings and only lagered it was also bottled right off the fermenter (after about 10 days of lagering). So no "secondary" either. No Bright Tank and no keg.

Of course it was brewed on 4/16/21 so it has been a minute.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 02:31:29 pm »

In this case just pilsner with a touch of Munich. I did do a double decoction since it was a small (5L) batch.
[/quote]
I was surprised at the amber color of the beer, all the helles I've seen are much lighter. I've never done decoction, does that process result in a darker colored beer?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 03:33:57 pm »
Ahh -- I see. It's a deep gold not an amber at all. I was trying to get some good lighting but it was one of those overcast days and it probably looks darker than it is.

I definitely feel like decoction affects color. Some disagree.

Also, it's not completely "haze free" so that may be what you are seeing. It's not crystal clear for sure, so that also adds to the color. But it is pretty clear and I think another couple of weeks in the bottle cold it should drop bright
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 03:35:47 pm by majorvices »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 03:59:53 pm »
Clear enough for me. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 04:21:50 pm »
Beer looks great and sure tastes good which is the most important thing. Honestly if the beer is really good and not crystal clear I really don't care.  With that said the beer looks good!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 03:46:00 am »
Ahh -- I see. It's a deep gold not an amber at all. I was trying to get some good lighting but it was one of those overcast days and it probably looks darker than it is.

Also, it's not completely "haze free" so that may be what you are seeing. It's not crystal clear for sure, so that also adds to the color. But it is pretty clear and I think another couple of weeks in the bottle cold it should drop bright

Definitely not criticizing your beer, just curious.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 03:35:29 pm »

My limited experience would agree, I brew an amber ale, tried the same ale both ways single step infusion, and decoction; the decoction always seems to bring out a more, for lack of a better term brilliant color.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford