Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ABV Calculation with secondary fruit/sugar additions  (Read 1949 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
ABV Calculation with secondary fruit/sugar additions
« on: May 31, 2021, 02:41:15 pm »
I recently brewed a cream ale and added 5 lbs of blackberries to the secondary. The base ale came in right around 6%. The recipe calculator I use did not adjust the ABV to include the added sugars from the fruit addition. Seems to me the addition of that much fruit would boost ABV to some degree.  Also, I was listening to a podcast recently that suggested to add sugars to the secondary to further boost alcohol.What is the best way to calculate/estimate the final ABV when adding fruit or sugar into secondary?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: ABV Calculation with secondary fruit/sugar additions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:50:27 pm »
Sugar adds about 45 ppm, meaning one lb. in one gal. adds 45 gravity points.  Fruits differ.  We have a chart of average fruit ppg in Experimental Homebrewing and I'm sure there are sources online.  We list blackberries at 40 ppg. Which seems high when I think about it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:11:50 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:00:30 pm »
Sugar adds about 45 ppm, meaning one lb. in one gal. adds 45 gravity points.  Fruits differ.  We have a chart of average fruit ppg in Experimental Homebrewing and I'm sure there are sources online.  We list blackberries at 40 ppg. Which seems high when I think about it.

So the addition of 5 pounds of blackberries to 5.5 gallons would be near 40 ish gravity points total? If the gravity of the cream ale was 1.013 when blackberries were added that would bring it to 1.053 or there abouts? After the fruit is completely fermented, the difference from now until then would be added to final ABV? Or am I wrong?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:13:18 pm »

So the addition of 5 pounds of blackberries to 5.5 gallons would be near 40 ish gravity points total? If the gravity of the cream ale was 1.013 when blackberries were added that would bring it to 1.053 or there abouts? After the fruit is completely fermented, the difference from now until then would be added T90 final ABV? Or am I wrong?

You're correct assuming our number is correct. I looked around and now I think it's right, although it seems really high.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:22:48 pm »
You're correct assuming our number is correct. I looked around and now I think it's right, although it seems really high.

It seems very high. Given those numbers, 1.053, and assuming it would finish at or near the cream ale 1.013 +/- it would add 5-6% to the original ABV?

My hydrometer after adding the blackberries only reads 1.018, not sure how accurate this would be given the sample is only the liquid, none of the solids from the puree. If this was accurate, and it were to finish at the original 1.013 it would be about .66% alcohol added to the original 6% Of the base cream ale, correct?

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 03:36:13 pm »
According to the USDA, 100g of blackberries contain about 5g fermentable sugars, i.e. they are 5% sugar. Assuming the berries were well-macerated and all that sugar is available to the yeast, your 5 lbs should thus be the equivalent of 0.25 lb of glucose. Plug this value into your recipe and you'll get an idea of the alcohol the berries contribute.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/173946/nutrients

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 03:39:40 pm »
According to the USDA, 100g of blackberries contain about 5g fermentable sugars, i.e. they are 5% sugar. Assuming the berries were well-macerated and all that sugar is available to the yeast, your 5 lbs should thus be the equivalent of 0.25 lb of glucose. Plug this value into your recipe and you'll get an idea of the alcohol the berries contribute.
https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/173946/nutrients

This actually seems a bit closer to my actual measurement, assuming again the blackberries ferment to at or near the gravity of the base ale.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 04:04:53 pm »
We list blackberries at 40 ppg. Which seems high when I think about it.

By my calcs, I believe blackberries yield 2.1 2.3 ppg (when using sucrose as the reference standard)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:17:04 pm by RC »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 05:30:00 am »
We list blackberries at 40 ppg. Which seems high when I think about it.

By my calcs, I believe blackberries yield 2.1 2.3 ppg (when using sucrose as the reference standard)
That sounds about right to me. I know when I add blackberries to a high gravity mead must, it actually lowers my gravity because of dilution rather than increasing it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 09:42:38 am »
Unless you are able to do a distillation analysis it is just going to be a close guess. Even the packaged aseptic purees give a range.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 09:47:39 am »
Unless you are able to do a distillation analysis it is just going to be a close guess. Even the packaged aseptic purees give a range.

Absolutely. It’s an agricultural product with different varietals, growers, and growing seasons. Variability should be expected.