Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: An interesting overlooked yeast fact  (Read 2677 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: An interesting overlooked yeast fact
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 07:41:12 pm »
Here's what I think I've figured out:

There are two totally different yeast strains being called "BRY-97".  Apples and oranges.  This is leading to lots of confusion.

One is made by Lallemand and is the same as Mangrove Jack M44.  Confusing matters even more, the Dunham chart above unfortunately refers to it as "Imperial M44".  So there's your version of "BRY-97" that is virtually identical in every way to 1056.  This is a S. cerevisiae "ale" strain.

Secondly, there is a version referred to as "BRY-97" that is a S. pastorianus "lager" or "bottom-fermenting" strain.  On the Dunham chart above, this one is unique in that it has the little black box next to it instead of green or blue, demonstrating probably that it is a pastorianus strain, designated BE068.  I think this one is WLP051.

So we need to take care when researching "BRY-97" that we are pulling the correct string, there are two strings to pull, be careful not to get them tangled up.

I might have more to say, but I'll just get this out there for the moment.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.