Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick poll: how many of you use a ferulic acid rest?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Quick poll: how many of you use a ferulic acid rest?
« on: May 31, 2021, 07:47:26 am »
Quick poll: how many of you use a ferulic acid rest to encourage 4VG production in appropriate styles?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Re: Quick poll: how many of you use a ferulic acid rest?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 09:18:41 am »
I haven't done it since the 90's.  I use mainly 88% Lactic Acid or Acid Malt to reach my desired mash pH. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 09:21:23 am »
I tried it once and didn't notice a difference so I never bothered with it again. I find pitch rate and fermentation temp do a good job of getting me what I'm looking for. FWIW, I brew hefeweizen about once every 2 years or so, so I don't consider myself an expert.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 09:25:32 am »
A ferulic acid rest is very helpful in creating the clove notes (4VG) in a good weizen.  I always perform that step for that style. Lactic acid or acid malt does not do anything to provide for 4VG creation.

PS: It is not really a mash-acidifying step, although it probably does do that to a degree.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 09:58:07 am »
I did a ferulic rest on my last roggenbier and was very pleased with the result.  I've made hefeweizens in the past that had almost zero clove, so while I cannot say it made a difference for sure, it's easy to do and I'll continue experimenting with it both ways in the future to see how much difference it makes.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 10:31:37 am »
Never. For me, the typical hef strains produce ample clove without a ferulic acid rest--too much, in fact. I definitely don't want to encourage more. And I don't brew any other styles with clove notes to them.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 11:24:26 am »
I have done it and have been pleased with the results. But it has been a long time since the last one. I like the spicy clove phenols over banana bomb.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 12:59:27 pm »
I do a ferulic acid for all my Hefeweizens. The banana bombs aren't as pleasing to me as a more balanced hefe.
Roger

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 03:03:27 pm »
I never got much in the way of clove from a ferulic rest, having tried several times.  I think the balance of clove and banana has more to do with fermentation temps.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 03:29:19 pm »
I think the balance of clove and banana has more to do with fermentation temps.

So what do you target to hit that clove-banana balance? I just tried my first hefeweissen and found the yeast character a little lacking.  I used Lallemand's Munich Classic held to the mid-sixties °F.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 05:37:51 pm »
I consult the information in this article alot.

https://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

From that article:
Open non-pressurized fermentation in combination with a suitable yeast like the classic W68 can already produce a sufficiently strong banana flavor. High OG or High-Gravity wort can promote the banana flavor further. Higher mash in temperature reduces the clove flavor significantly and additionally promotes the banana flavor.

In my brewery, the open fermentation helps this style. I know Palmer recommends a fermentation temperature of 62F. I have tried this a few times and struggle to get much banana from this. I have also tried all the dry yeast alternatives, including Munich Classic, and frankly, they all fall short for this style. In short, for me there is a fine line between not enough banana and way too much banana. YMMV.
Roger

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 06:23:17 pm »
I never got much in the way of clove from a ferulic rest, having tried several times.  I think the balance of clove and banana has more to do with fermentation temps.

Well, you could have a point there.  As I've heard from other experts, around 62F is the fermentation spot to be to drive the balance about right for clove and banana.  A degree or two in either direction does make a difference.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 07:17:31 pm »

I doin't disagree. I remember reading an article a few years back that said the the ferulic acid rest doesn't do much of anything. Can't remember the specifics. But for some of us it seems to do something. ;)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 07:32:02 pm »

I doin't disagree. I remember reading an article a few years back that said the the ferulic acid rest doesn't do much of anything. Can't remember the specifics. But for some of us it seems to do something. ;)

Perhaps the FA rest is a holdover from the days of under-modified malts. I think a lot of today's homebrewing "knowledge" stems from processes that may have been appropriate at one time but are now largely antiquated, just like protein rests and mashing out.

In my homebrewery, I get huge (too huge) clove notes from hef strains without even trying. So my efforts go into trying to up the banana, not to get a banana bomb, but simply to balance those clove notes.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 07:48:25 pm »
My guess is that none of us have used the scientific method in this instance. I think most of us brew a Hefeweizen every now and then as opposed to it being a go to brew like an ipa for some or euro lager or English bitter for others. So rather than brewing it a couple dozen times a year and changing a variable over and over we all probably go all in trying to get what we like.
The last time I brewed a hefe I used a yeast strain and temp conducive to clove and also did an F rest, all in hopes of bringing out the beloved clove and tamping down the despised banana. So I did the F rest and got clove, but cannot say scientifically that one followed the other.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.