Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: do you often make higher gravity or ABV beers?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
do you often make higher gravity or ABV beers?
« on: June 01, 2021, 01:09:32 pm »
probably only about 10% MAX of all the beers ive made have had OGs of 1.065 or higher (not counting meads and sakes of course) and maybe only two with OGs over 1.08

I love commercial strong beers of many different types, but im thinking about cutting out homebrewing strong beers even further.

i made a 7.8% ABV beer recently that tastes fine. ideal mash, fermentation etc. its just that i feel it takes relatively more careful planning, effort to get that high gravity wort and deal with it and has a higher chance of having problems (too high FG, unbalanced, too many yeast attributes, etc).

even this ideal strong beer i made is as i said. "fine"

the best beers ive made have all been between 1.04 and 1.055 gravities. the ones that were really memorable and i was sad to see them go.

does anyone really make an effort or find it worthwhile to make higher gravity beers? any tips? any specific styles (i do still want to make a strong stout)? i admit i don't have pure 02 yet because i don't make high-grav beers often.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: do you often make higher gravity or ABV beers?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 01:26:00 pm »
I've made a lot of high gravity beers over the years.  Some of them turned out really good.  However, these days when I run to my refrigerator for a brewskie, I find myself seeking lower alcohol options much more often than not.  And so for a while now, I've been brewing stuff as low as 4-5% ABV most of the time, an occasional 6% maybe.  It's been about 4 years since I went high gravity.  It just doesn't appeal to me as much anymore as it once did.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 01:39:50 pm »
I've made a lot of high gravity beers over the years.  Some of them turned out really good.  However, these days when I run to my refrigerator for a brewskie, I find myself seeking lower alcohol options much more often than not.  And so for a while now, I've been brewing stuff as low as 4-5% ABV most of the time, an occasional 6% maybe.  It's been about 4 years since I went high gravity.  It just doesn't appeal to me as much anymore as it once did.
I'm right with you on this. I used to brew barleywines about once a year, but it has probably been about 5 years at this point. I only get to brew so often, so I don't really feel like brewing a batch of a beer that I might only want to sip a few ounces of a couple of times a year. Right now my batches clock in between 1.040 and 1.050 OG almost exclusively. Those are easy to brew and easy to put down without getting sloppy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 01:40:56 pm »
I make a lot of IPA and they're usually in the low-mid 7% range.  Often have a tripel on hand that's in the low 9s.  Wee Shroomy once a year also in the low 9s.

And it kinda depends on the definition of high gravity.  Fred Bonjuor made (makes) 10% beers he calls session beers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:42:38 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 01:56:02 pm »
Its not that I don't enjoy a high ABV beer or struggle to brew one, its just a matter of keeping the pipeline flowing.

Since I keg almost every beer and since I can't possibly "session" octane, a high abv beer would muck up the works.  In order to brew I need to keep the kegs moving.  So for me, it doesn't make any practical sense to brew and keg a high ABV beer.   Most of my regular rotation beers are under 6%, probably averaging 5 - 5.5%.

But, in 2 weeks I plan to make a Barleywine.  That will go in bottles.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 02:17:29 pm »
Most of my brews are 4.5-5.5%,mainly lagers. Saturday I made a Maibock at 1.067 and next week I am making a Quad that should be 1.096 I have made a few barrel aged stouts and porters that were 10.5% and 9% respectively. I really, for the most part, drink hi-gravity beers in the winter and keep it to a minimum, 2-3 a session. Lagers on the other hand are something that is a daily fix and I tend not to limit the quantity. ;D

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 03:21:50 pm »
Prior to the last 3.5 years I used to brew a biggie once a year. My living situation has changed drastically, for the better, and once our new range is delivered and I replace a few pieces of equipment I'll probably go back to that schedule.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 03:51:57 pm »
Its not that I don't enjoy a high ABV beer or struggle to brew one, its just a matter of keeping the pipeline flowing.

Since I keg almost every beer and since I can't possibly "session" octane, a high abv beer would muck up the works.  In order to brew I need to keep the kegs moving.  So for me, it doesn't make any practical sense to brew and keg a high ABV beer.   Most of my regular rotation beers are under 6%, probably averaging 5 - 5.5%.

But, in 2 weeks I plan to make a Barleywine.  That will go in bottles.

You just need more kegs!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

do you often make higher gravity or ABV beers?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 03:56:30 pm »
I try to brew a Christmas beer once a year. Sometimes it’s based on a Wee Heavy other times a Bock.

Not much different than brewing a session strength beer really except I pitch a lot of yeast that is rated for the ABV.

Not sure how I will approach that this coming year. This is kinda where I’ve landed:

… high gravity.  It just doesn't appeal to me as much anymore as it once did.

I enjoy the processes involved in making a nice pint then enjoying the fruits of my labor and patience, so I’d rather have two or three beers over an afternoon/evening at 3.33% than one at 6% -10%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:06:04 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 04:04:56 pm »
Definitely both. I love a thirst quenching beer when I'm thirsty but I want something a little more "contemplative" when I'm relaxing on a weekend night.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 05:20:31 pm »
Kinda the same here. 90% sessionable styles, mostly lagers. The other 10% are special beers, mostly above 7.5%, for the holidays and special events. All are kegged, and occasionally I'll bottle from a keg to give as gifts. 🍺

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 05:45:09 pm »
yup, its been a hot spring so far and i sort of forgot already that higher ABVs are much preferable in winter.

weird point, but i almost never find a beer "thirst quenching". i feel like i have weird beer habits, but i cant imagine drinking a beer on a hot sunny afternoon, unless im with friends and its at least 4pm or so, knowing im done for the day.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 06:16:01 pm »
Wow! Almost nothing quenches my thirst better than a cold, sessionable beer.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 06:51:59 pm »
Wow! Almost nothing quenches my thirst better than a cold, sessionable beer.
. Good old lawnmower beer.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 07:10:12 pm »
i feel like i have weird beer habits

No one's beer drinking habits are "weird". We are all unique, and to each their own.

i cant imagine drinking a beer on a hot sunny afternoon

Okay yeah that's just weird :P. Where I live it's currently 102o F and I've just come in from yardwork and am drinking a Corona Extra in a frosty glass. Cue the angel music!