Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What kind of gear do you use to keep your brewing equipment clean and sanitary?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline SIS Brew

• 1st Kit
    • SIS Brew
At SIS Brew, we’re passionate about crafting quality sanitation chemicals for breweries and homebrewers.  As we grow, we’ve come to see the importance of offering cleaning equipment along with our line of effective cleaning chemicals.  So, we’ve decided to go to the source!  What kind of gear do you use to keep your brewing equipment clean and sanitary?  If we use your idea, we’ll reach out to hook you up with some free product.  And… GO! 

Learn more about SIS Brew by visiting our website: https://sisbrew.com/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:31:44 am by duncan »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
A nylon dish scrubber. That's pretty much the extent of my cleaning equipment .
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
A non abrasive sponge and skinny tube brushes for valves, spouts, tubes, hoses...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
PBW and a non-abrasive dish scrubby primarily. BLC or Barkeepers Friend on occasion when warranted.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Nylon dish scrubber and bar mop/terry cloth towels

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
I primarily use Savogran TSP and a Scotch-Brite non-scratch scrub sponge.  A little bit of TSP goes a long way.  I use Bar Keeper's friend every few batches in my kettles to keep deposits under control.

Offline Jaykayray

• 1st Kit
Bottled a wheat beer last month, used pbw for a soak and star san. Miscalculated bc of 22 ounce Bottles and had 6 12 ounce bottles, I rinsed vigorously and prayed to the beer gods.  In the end thise 6 came out just fine. Never doing that again, lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline downbrew

• 1st Kit
At SIS Brew, we’re passionate about crafting quality sanitation chemicals for breweries and homebrewers.  As we grow, we’ve come to see the importance of offering cleaning equipment along with our line of effective cleaning chemicals.  So, we’ve decided to go to the source!  What kind of gear do you use to keep your brewing equipment clean and sanitary?  If we use your idea, we’ll reach out to hook you up with some free product.  And… GO! 

Learn more about SIS Brew by visiting our website: https://abs-commercial.com/two-vessel-brewhouses/

If we are just getting into homebrewing, what do you recommend we use?  For chemicals, what are the 2 or 3 most important ones to use?  I want to start brewing but I'm still trying to learn so I can get started.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 08:51:32 am by downbrew »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

If we are just getting into homebrewing, what do you recommend we use?  For chemicals, what are the 2 or 3 most important ones to use?  I want to start brewing but I'm still trying to learn so I can get started.  Thanks.

a LHBS recommended to use some chlorine based sanitizer/crud remover about a year ago, i was using PBW on occasion on carboys as well and the combination left them sparkly clean. i ran out of PBW in winter and just used the chlorine one and theres been a slow buildup of stuff i cant remove. need to order some more PBW soon.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

a LHBS recommended to use some chlorine based sanitizer/crud remover about a year ago, i was using PBW on occasion on carboys as well and the combination left them sparkly clean. i ran out of PBW in winter and just used the chlorine one and theres been a slow buildup of stuff i cant remove. need to order some more PBW soon.

Or Craftmeister

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

Or Craftmeister

just checked on that one. would you say craftmeister is better than PBW?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

Or Craftmeister

Much better, especially the alkaline.  It can be used with cold water if you want, and its more effective than PBW with hot water.  Drew made a video....https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster

Or Craftmeister

Much better, especially the alkaline.  It can be used with cold water if you want, and its more effective than PBW with hot water.  Drew made a video....https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/craftmeister-cleaners-picturing-carboy-test
Unfortunately a lot of shops don't carry it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

Or Craftmeister

excellent, though as someone below said. if many shops dont have it, up here will be years behind full coverage in the states. but ill take a look for it

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
I use a brewery-dedicated, toilet brush for keg cleaning.  I use a plastic putty knife for helping to scrape off crusty stuff off of equipment (used to use an old credit card). I use only a soft sponge on everything else.  I never use a scrubby pad or similar items, since they leave micro scratches in metal and plastic.

As for chemicals, I do use strong caustic and acids on occasion. But usually, I'm using something like the 5Star or Craftmeister products like PBW.  For sanitation, I try and alternate between Iodophor and Starsan.  Starsan doesn't kill mold spores, so its not ideal or universal, but I feel that Iodophor can leave a hint of a phenolic note in my beer if I use it without a complete dry-out.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks